    Thanks in advance,

    J Wolfgang Goerlich

    , Jun 21, 2005

  2. Windows Server 2003 is not an NTP server. It does synchronize with NTP
    sources when configured to, but it does not serve NTP. You won't find it
    listening on the NTP port but it will query an external NTP source if you've
    set it up correctly.

    Start here:

    Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]

    Richard G. Harper, Jun 21, 2005

    > Windows Server 2003 is not an NTP server.

    That does not seem right. The Unix servers see the Win2003 box (with
    the PDC role) as a stratum 1 NTP source. Their NTP daemon recognizes my
    other Win2003 DC as a stratum 2 NTP server. Those are syncing fine.
    Win2003 is acting as an NTP server.

    Is the port not actively listening because the service is on UDP?

    J Wolfgang Goerlich

    , Jun 22, 2005
  4. Correction - yes Windows Server 2003 does provide an NTP server. Sorry, I
    was thinking Windows Server 2000 which uses SNTP instead.

    Richard G. Harper, Jun 23, 2005
  5. Tony Guest

    Configuring the Windows Time service to use an internal hardware clock
    Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
    Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    To configure the PDC master without using an external time source, change
    the announce flag on the PDC master. The PDC master is the server that holds
    the forest root PDC master role for the domain. This configuration forces
    the PDC master to announce itself as a reliable time source and uses the
    built-in complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) clock. To configure
    the PDC master by using an internal hardware clock, follow these steps: 1.
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\Announce
    Flags
    3. In the right pane, right-click AnnounceFlags, and then click
    Modify.
    4. In Edit DWORD Value, type A in the Value data box, and then click
    OK.
    5. Quit Registry Editor.
    6. At the command prompt, type the following command to restart the
    Windows Time service, and then press ENTER:
    net stop w32time && net start w32time

    This appears to infer that windows 2000/2003 server is in fact a valid Time
    source. Just ensure your hardware clock is correct obviously.

    Tony, Jun 25, 2005