Subject: Win XP Pro Lost CD
From: "John" omegaknox(nospam)@jager.com
Date: 5/29/2004 9:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time

We have recently moved and somehow misplaced our Win XP Pro CD. We
contracted a virus that made us have to reformat our hard drive. Is there
anyway to get a copy of our disk? We have our certificate of authenticity,
even the sleeve the disk is supposed to be in. I've looked on microsofts
website, but I can't see anyway to contact customer service. Any help would
be appreciated.
I don't quite understand why some of our erstwhile gurus continue to tell
people that the way to get another CD is to pay Microsoft. Just ask a friend
with the same version of XP to burn you a copy. Then your valid legal Product
Key is all you need. There is nothing on any MS CD that ties it to a specific
Product Key. There is only an algorithm that checks for the validity and
version of the Key. Note that the versions must be exactly identical. A Home
Key will not work with a Pro CD and vice versa, Upgrade Key won't work with
Full version. If you had a Dell OEM CD, you must get a Dell OEM CD to copy,
etc.
I always use a burned copy. My originals are safely tucked away...just in case.

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***