Will this set up work?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
no problems that i can see, let us know how you get on with it :thumb:

Reaction score
I dont actually need one. All i need is for something to read CD's and DVD's. If the need ever arises however, i have a laptop with all the CD, DVD re-writing stuff.

Reaction score
Hello everyone i have yet another query.

Is it true that a single processor would be better for games as opposed to the dual core i am planning to get?

i.e. a single 3.2ghz vs. dual core @ 2.4ghz ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
NeuroBA said:
Hello everyone i have yet another query.

Is it true that a single processor would be better for games as opposed to the dual core i am planning to get?

i.e. a single 3.2ghz vs. dual core @ 2.4ghz ?
No, yes, maybe ...

A CPU can only do one job at a time, excluding multithreaded CPUs here, so, a Dual Core can now do two jobs at once. Clever, innit. ;)

However, unless the "software" knows what to actually do with two core processor, they ain't any point in having one, err, two or four.

Now, having said that so simply, there is a whole load of other technicalities I can't be bothered to go into here, the "future" will be in Duo's & Quad's, even if we don't need them as servers.

Software is always playing catch-up ... it takes time. :D

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Since the Dual range is a newer generation i think i'll stick with the E6600. Apparently it has good overclocking capabilities

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
yeah its a great CPU, most people can get it to over 3Ghz but with standard cooling i'd stick around 2.8 -2.9 depending on the temps

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yep, you'll be fine with that EVGA board :thumb:

One thing I would say is that if your overclocking, the E6400, although lower at stock, actually clocks just as high as the E6600 on air - so you may want to consider whether its worth saving a little cash ;)

Reaction score
hmm... thats something to think about. Thank you.

Whats this business about a 4mb cache and a 2mb?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
In the real world having a lower L2 cache with these doesn't make a whole lot of difference - have a look at some benchmarking HERE :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. So for gaming it only makes the slightest of differences.

But i'm a very new overclocker so i'm still not sure.

Would it be just as easy to overclock the lower end chip?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
To be honest its only £50 more for the E6600, so stick with that then if you struggle with your OCing then at least you can fall back on the higher stock speed.

I sense you may feel happier that way ;)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to do the same thing as NeuroBA, again from cyberpower.co.uk but I'm getting a slightly different rig:

LEXA Tower 400W Case W/ Side-panel Window
Tagan 800W TG800-U25 Dual Engine SLI Ready Power Supply
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 CPU @ 2.66GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache
CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS
Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
2 GB (2x 1G) Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
150GB Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache
250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
2 optical drives
Windows Vista Premium

Now I'm definately going to get this as my current computer is on the verge of death and I think right now is the perfect time to buy a new system. Saying this however, I am a bit hesitant about buying at the moment as I've heard afew bad things about cyberpower, as the rig is gonna cost about £1900 its alot of money to lose if something goes wrong... especially if you dont have the know how to fix it! I think I might wait afew weeks to see if the 8800GTX Ultra comes out as well, I can't see it being much more expensive personally..and I want to play crysis on max!! lol, I was just wondering what you thought about the system and if any of you have had experiences with cyberpowersystem.co.uk in the past?

Cheers
Lee

Last edited:

Ask a Question