Will this set up work?

Reaction score
Suitable System?

Hello everyone, first post. Just customised a computer on cyberpowersystem.co.uk but not sure whether it's any good. I'm no expert on hardware and would appreciate it if someone could scan over my specs to make sure they're compatible.

[Mucks edit ... link goes nowhere]

(click 'edit' underneath 'gamer infinity 850')

Thanks

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
your gonna have to list the spec if you changed any of the components, as it is its not bad

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
All I get is an empty shopping cart page with that link - so I can't comment :p

Reaction score
Sorry about that. I had my doubts about the link.

Heres the specs:

Case: Hot New! NZXT Zero Aluminum Full Tower 420W Case W/See-Through Smoked Acrylic (Black/Silver Color)
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
Motherboard: (Quad-Core Supports) Intel DP965LT P965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394& 7.1Audio
Memory: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
Video Card: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
Video Card 2: NONE
Monitor & LCD: Samsung SM720N 17& quot; 8MS TFT LCD MONITOR 1280x1024
Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive (160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: NONE
Optical Drive: SONY 16X DVD-ROM (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: NONE
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 5.1 AUDIO
Power Supply Upgrade: Enermax EGA850EWL Galaxy 850 Watt Power Supply

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
personally i'd go for a better motherboard, either the EVGA or Asus P5N32-E if you can afford it

Your PSU IMO is OTT and damn expensive, are you planning on running a quad SLI setup in the future ? if you are your definately gonna have to change the motherboard, the 700W Tagan would be a better choice

you might also want to consider a DVD writer ? and maybe more hard drive space its pretty cheap these days

with the EVGA motherboard, Tagan 700W PSU and adding a DVD writer and 250GB hard drive your actually saving money

comes to £1182 thats if i havent missed anything

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply, just a couple of questions.

Purpose of changing the motherboard?
(i'm not going to get a quad cpu for this computer)

I've been told by others that my graphics card takes a lot of power, therefore apparantly i should be getting around a 850W psu, is this true?

Also i dont want that much HD space or any sort of CD/DVD writer

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the EVGA and Asus motherboards are much better than the intel one, its the heart of the system so its better to use a decent motherboard than an ok one

even if you dont use SLI or a quad core CPU i'd reccomend it anyway

your right the graphics card does take a lot of power but the system should only need around 400W under full load so the 700W is more than enough

Reaction score
OK thanks for explaining that. So if you were to buy the system you would buy a 700W PSU?

Also, which motherboard is 'better', the EVGA or Asus P5N32-E

Finally, do you think, with your suggestions incorporated, the system would be able to handle powerful games?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
700W PSU? Yes.

I figure the EVGA board is better.

Yes, that system should handle all current game releases comfortably.

I have a 150Gb main hard drive (2 x 74Gb Raptors in RAID 0) and after the usual Win XP, Office, Photoshop and all the rest, I have 17 modern games loaded, most of which came on a DVD.

I currently have 73Gb of free space left, so that should give you some idea of your space requirements.

But as mentioned above hard disk space is cheap, it wouldn't hurt to get a 250Gb hard disk, you can use the money you'll save on the PSU.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i think the 700W tagan is adequate for that system, i would like to think the other members would agree with me on this?

the EVGA seems to be the better board from the specs and reviews, i know one of the members here has it and i dont think he has had any problems with it

with that spec you'll be able to play every game thats out at the moment, but i dont think you'll be able run them at max resolution and with all the settings on high, on the defaults you should have no problems though

what games are you planning on playing ?

Edit: damn it gotta type faster

Reaction score
Thanks again for your advice guys.

I want to play play battlefield 2, medieval II : total war and like the look of crysis. Do u play?

Wat do you guys think about spending the saved money on a 8800gtx?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
NeuroBA said:
Wat do you guys think about spending the saved money on a 8800gtx?

It's the best gaming card there is at the moment so if you're sure you won't need more hard disk space, go for it.

I have Battlefield 2 but haven't played it much.

Reaction score
I've had a 80Gb hard drive and its lasted me over 4 yrs, so i dont really need much space.

Just a question, i noticed you have quite a complex hard drive, why didnt you just buy a single 160GB? What are the advantages with your hard drive?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
NeuroBA said:
I've had a 80Gb hard drive and its lasted me over 4 yrs, so i dont really need much space.

Just a question, i noticed you have quite a complex hard drive, why didnt you just buy a single 160GB? What are the advantages with your hard drive?
Speed. ;)

The HD is the slowest component in your PC, and I wouldn't use an "old" 80gig as my main drive.

Floppy's HDs have a 10,000rpm spindle speed offering a superior data transfer speed over conventional 7,200rpm ATA100 drives ... he also implemented them in a RAID array, not something I personally recommend for a home user, but Floppy knows what he is doing.

At the time, they cost him an arm & a leg, so he ain't gonna throw them out too soon. :D

Reaction score
Lol okay. I think the normal hard disk speed is fine so that settles that.

Well, i think i'm ready to buy but i still cant decide what to spend my saved money on, a 8800gtx or a better processer. And not sure whether to stick with Xp home or opt for vista home premium. Also, i'm not sure whether a 700W PSU is over the top. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if your main use is for gaming the the 8800GTX would be a nice upgrade, if your gonna be encoding video or doing lots of CPU intensive work then a faster CPU would be a better choice, you really need to think about what most of its time is gonna be spent doing

stick with XP home or pro, i wouldn't touch Vista for another 6 months or so, by then you'll have better software and driver support

700W is pretty much spot on for that system and will give you some headroom for future upgrades

Reaction score
Alright guys thanks for all your help. These are the final specs:

Case: Hot New! NZXT Zero Aluminum Full Tower 420W Case W/See-Through Smoked Acrylic (Black/Silver Color)
CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T
Motherboard: (Quad-Core Supports) EVGA nForce 680i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
Memory: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
Video Card: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
Video Card 2: NONE
Monitor & LCD: ViewSonic VG921M 19& quot; COLOR TFT Active Matrix SXGA LCD Display Monitor
Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive (160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: NONE
Optical Drive: SONY 16X DVD-ROM (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: NONE
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
Power Supply Upgrade: Tagan 700W TG700-U25 Dual Engine SLI Ready Power Supply

As long as cyberpowersystem.co.uk don't let me down it should be a good system.

Thanks again for the help

Ask a Question