will outlook 2007 support newsgroups?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

There have never been any plans to add news reading to Outlook. There is
just no need for it, and Outlook's main customer base does not want it.

David R. Norton MVP

will outlook 2007 support newsgroup reading?

I suspect Outlook 2007 will only allow you to open OE from within it as
do current versions of Outlook.

That's only a guess.

exciter

| There have never been any plans to add news reading to Outlook.

Why not?
I personalley hear and read many people who wonder why there exists outlook
express anyway
if there is outlook.
It is completely logical to gather the two programs together.
This is exactly what is expected from customers I tihink.
So I dont agree or believe your remark.

| There is just no need for it, and Outlook's main customer base does not
want it.

How do we know this?
Did microsoft made a survey and asked thusands of users if they dont want
it?
What is this argument is based on?

Moreover, why outlook 2007 has a RSS reader then? RSS actually had nothing
to do
with the mission of outlook. But as you see, as trends change, things change
and RSS
support is in outlook 2007.
It is completely logical to expect Outlook to support newsgroups given the
fact that
it will support RSS, which has not been in strong demand few years ago.

And! In addition, there are tools which allow people to read news messages
in outlook.
This is a clear indication that there has been a demand in that direction.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

The several hundred thousand seat corporations? Yes. The multi-national
corporations? Yes. Individual users? Probably not.

The outcry for news groups in Outlook is coming from the consumer sector,
not Microsoft's target with Outlook. It is the large Exchange customers who
do not want news groups in Outlook to keep their employees from surfing
alt.sex.gerbil on company time. For those corporations who do want news
groups, they can gateway them in through Exchange. For home users, OE is
the natural method for getting newsgroup reading.

This has been asked with each iteration of Outlook and the answer has always
been the same. There are third party programs to augment what Microsoft has
programmed - use any of the free or low cost shareware programs. Just don't
expect Microsoft to make it easy for employees to waste their employer's
time and money.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, exciter asked:

|| There have never been any plans to add news reading to Outlook.
|
| Why not?
| I personalley hear and read many people who wonder why there exists
| outlook express anyway
| if there is outlook.
| It is completely logical to gather the two programs together.
| This is exactly what is expected from customers I tihink.
| So I dont agree or believe your remark.
|

|| There is just no need for it, and Outlook's main customer base does
|| not want it.
|
| How do we know this?
| Did microsoft made a survey and asked thusands of users if they dont
| want it?
| What is this argument is based on?
|

| Moreover, why outlook 2007 has a RSS reader then? RSS actually had
| nothing to do
| with the mission of outlook. But as you see, as trends change, things
| change and RSS
| support is in outlook 2007.
| It is completely logical to expect Outlook to support newsgroups
| given the fact that
| it will support RSS, which has not been in strong demand few years
| ago.
|
| And! In addition, there are tools which allow people to read news
| messages in outlook.
| This is a clear indication that there has been a demand in that
| direction.

exciter

is it so difficult to add a feature which would disable subscription to
newsgroups?
If one can control acess to sex sites on int explorer, it should also be
possible
to moderate outlook for newsgroup subscriptions.
the possibility to acess the sex newsgroups does not sound a valid argument
to make outlook stay away from newsgroups.
There are rss sites which provide sexuality explicit content too...
Then microsoft should just add privacy options for moderators, thats all.

One day ms will combine oe and outlook. This will happen sooner or later.
It is just illogical to have 2 programs doing similar things, which could be
easily merged.

Moreover, one can also install oe to browse sex newsgroups aside outlook...
if there is a way the company can control the installation of oe, then
there should be a feature in outlook preventing acess to newsgroups, if
outlook
will ever support newsgroups.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

1. There are GPOs and Registry entries to disable OE, I know, my agency
uses them.
2. Why include an option to disable a built in function?. Having 2
programs for separate functions makes sense from a coding standpoint.
3. RSS feeds can be disabled by the same GPOs and registry entries, as well
as content filtering programs such as WebSense, used widely by corporations
to disable browsing "unseemly" sites. My agency uses it and it is very
successful.
4. OE is disabled from every Corporate installation I have seen - it is an
easy thing to do and most corps disable OE. News group - gone!

Microsoft will probably never include news groups when there is a perfectly
viable option in Outlook Express. Why have 2 programs that perform the same
function? Makes no sense and to diable it from OE would mean that most
Windows - not Office - users would have a crippled version of OE.

Get over it - it has been asked for and begged for by consumers for many
years and it has not shown up yet. It will not show up in the next version,
and, I hope in all versions after that.

If you are so dead set on using news groups in Outlook, then get a third
party add-in for no or low cost. Suggestions have already been made.
Microsoft will not change their business model for consumers who represent a
tiny fraction of Outlook users.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, exciter asked:

| is it so difficult to add a feature which would disable subscription
| to newsgroups?
| If one can control acess to sex sites on int explorer, it should also
| be possible
| to moderate outlook for newsgroup subscriptions.
| the possibility to acess the sex newsgroups does not sound a valid
| argument to make outlook stay away from newsgroups.
| There are rss sites which provide sexuality explicit content too...
| Then microsoft should just add privacy options for moderators, thats
| all.
|
| One day ms will combine oe and outlook. This will happen sooner or
| later. It is just illogical to have 2 programs doing similar things,
| which could be easily merged.
|
| Moreover, one can also install oe to browse sex newsgroups aside
| outlook... if there is a way the company can control the installation
| of oe, then there should be a feature in outlook preventing acess to
| newsgroups, if outlook
| will ever support newsgroups.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Next time, just post your statement. Don't pretend you have a question and
waste our time. You asked. I answered. You didn't like the answer, said you
didn't believe me and stepped onto your soapbox.
Your logic eludes me. What does adding RSS feeds have to do with adding
USENET support to Outlook?
I have a patient with a huge, persistent left superior vena cava for which I
can not determine a cause. In Outlook 2007 I have an RSS feed from the NHLBI
that notifies me every time a new paper is published on this topic and takes
me straight to it. Does that help me? You betcha. Would adding USENET
support to Outlook help me? Not a chance.

exciter

Next time, just post your statement. Don't pretend you have a question and
waste our time.

Nobody gives you the right to tell me what to post or not.
You are not a moderator of this group as far as i know.
I dont pretend also and if you dont want to waste your time then simply dont
answer.
i did not ask you to answer my question, did I?
You asked. I answered. You didn't like the answer, said you
didn't believe me and stepped onto your soapbox.

I was thinking about the consumer base, and I did not think about big
companies while
i was thinking about the issue and yes I did not believe then for this
reason.
You can just explain what the situation is in a polite way, and thats all.
I am still free not to believe your statements and I did not understand why
you
get offended.

just keep it polite sir.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Nowhere was I telling you what to post. I was suggesting that you post as an
opinion for the sake of discussion. I didn't understand why you would ask it
as a question if you were simply going to dismiss the answer as
unbelievable. We don't just make up answers.
This is a perfectly legitimate topic for debate and one frequently raised.
The discussions are always lively.

exciter

Nowhere was I telling you what to post. I was suggesting that you post as
an
opinion for the sake of discussion.

Yes you were telling me what to post:
Next time, just post your statement. Don't pretend you have a question and
waste our time.

Moreover you insult by telling me that I pretend to do something.
I can ask questions and i am free not to believe the answers.
I am not dismissing an answer as unbelievable "in advance".
And not believing does not prevent me asking questions.

You could/should have been polite.

Gordon

exciter said:
And not believing does not prevent me asking questions.
In this message:

You wrote:

"This is exactly what is expected from customers I tihink.
"So I dont agree or believe your remark.

So that's not dismissing an answer as "unbeleivable" then is it?

exciter

Look I am free not to believe everything ok?
And the point is not to believe or not.
The point is to be polite and i dont accept the statement of Russ Valentine
who said:
"Next time, just post your statement. Don't pretend you have a question and
waste our time"

I dont see the need to discuss this further. Everybody will jsut be polite.

exciter

Look what happened:

Russ says: There is just no need for it, and Outlook's main customer base
does not
want it.

I say: I dont believe it.

At this stage i dont know what is meant by the customer base!
At this stage a distinvction between a company and a consumer base has not
been based and
i said that i dont belive it.

Of course I believe the figures given "afterwards" but this was after my
saying that i dont believe.

So dont make demogogy on things and dont change things to your advanatage
to insult someone even more.

And as i indicated in the previous message, everyone has to be polite.

Gordon

exciter said:
Look what happened:

Russ says: There is just no need for it, and Outlook's main customer base
does not
want it.

I say: I dont believe it.

At this stage i dont know what is meant by the customer base!
At this stage a distinvction between a company and a consumer base has not
been based and
i said that i dont belive it.

The VAST majority of Outlook users are corporate entities, NOT home users.
That's what he meant.

exciter

The VAST majority of Outlook users are corporate entities, NOT home users.
That's what he meant.

I understood this of course after it is "explained".
Anyway, I think I am still right and someone has been impolite.
Bye