WiFi problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am using a WiFi network (router is Zyxel Prestige 2000 combined met ADSL) with a fixed antenna for my desktop and a separate USB antenna (BenQ AWL400) that I use for my own laptop or sometimes for other people's systems that need re-installation, de-virussing, etc.

This week, I have re-installed a Dell C400 Latitude laptop (Win XP Pro, McAfee 8.0, Windows Firewall); all works perfectly.
Internet connection via a fixed cable (fixed to the router) works great too, but I cannot get the wireless connection to function.

So: my own laptop works, but if I place the same antenna in the other laptop in the same physical spot, it does not: the wireless antenna is properly installed, the network is visible, the signal strength is very good, the encryption key has been correctly entered but the connection is refused with an error message saying that the connection can not be made. It seems like a software setting, but ...

Can anybody point me in the right direction, please?
Thanks
Rob

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yup ... Tell Dell to build PCs properly. :thumb:

Sorry that was not much help ... but I see this everyday, and them USB ports are not the same on all PCs

Wireless is good when it works ... give me wired anyday. ;)

Scrap MaCrapie & turn off all firewalls & try again.

Reaction score
Couple of Questions

Couple of obvious questions:

1. When wireless is connected do you have the fixed cable disconnected?
2. Have you tried turning off your firewall to see if it is the problem?
3. Have checked the wireless to see if it is compatible with your Laptop hardrware?

Reaction score
cwale said:
Couple of obvious questions:

1. When wireless is connected do you have the fixed cable disconnected?
2. Have you tried turning off your firewall to see if it is the problem?
3. Have checked the wireless to see if it is compatible with your Laptop hardrware?

1. yes
2. I have tried that; doesn't make any difference
3. it has worked in the past

Because I work with a lot of different systems (see my introduction elsewhere) I need to connect these different systems and I have seen the same phenomena with some desktops as well.
Typically, we are talking about clean new XP installations with either Norton, McAfee or AVG anti-virus software. Usually, the USB antenna works but sometimes without any reason that I can find it doesn't. Usually, I then unroll my 40m UTP cable and connect directly but 1) my wife hates that cable across the house and 2) this time we are talking about a laptop that has functioned with the same set-up, both with W2000 and XP.
It must be some stupid setting somewhere, but ????

Reaction score
What happens when you try this?

Not knowing what all you have tried I am going to walk through a couple things. If you've done them then disregard and maybe we will try something else.

First, most laptops have a switch to turn on and off the wifi capabilities. May be located in the bios or on the body of the laptop itself. The laptop I have has an on/off switch on the front of it. I have seen some that turn on and off with a F# key. Check this first.

If that isn't the problem try this.
Go to Start-Control Panel-Network Connections.
Do you see your Wireless Network Connection listed?
If so, right click on the icon and left click on View Available Wireless Networks.
In the box to the left select Refresh Network List.
Does any network show up in the box on the right?
If so, highlight the network and select Connect at the bottom right.

Let me know what happens.

Last edited:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
A very quick shot in the dark here, but have you considered:

(1) Is MAC filtering enabled oh the Wireless Connections section of your router, and possibly obsuring the devices behind the wireless connection?
(2) Presumaby you are running DHCP, but have you released all leases from the local machines, and instructed them to obtain new leases?
(3) Alternatively, if you are using static IPs, are they within the "accepted" range specified in the router? Bear in mind that the Wired and Wireless LAN should have different IPs.

Not sure if this is much help, but it was just a thought.

Good luck

CI

Reaction score
cwale said:
If that isn't the problem try this.
Go to Start-Control Panel-Network Connections.
Do you see your Wireless Network Connection listed?
yes
cwale said:
If so, right click on the icon and left click on View Available Wireless Networks.
In the box to the left select Refresh Network List.
Does any network show up in the box on the right?
yes, my wireless network
cwale said:
If so, highlight the network and select Connect at the bottom right.
Let me know what happens.
It does not connect ....
If I try via the bottom right corner icon to repair it says something like "cannot connect to the wireless network" (wording is different because this is a Dutch system)
PS the network signal is 95%

CITech said:
A very quick shot in the dark here, but have you considered:
(1) Is MAC filtering enabled oh the Wireless Connections section of your router, and possibly obsuring the devices behind the wireless connection?
(2) Presumaby you are running DHCP, but have you released all leases from the local machines, and instructed them to obtain new leases?
(3) Alternatively, if you are using static IPs, are they within the "accepted" range specified in the router? Bear in mind that the Wired and Wireless LAN should have different IPs.
Not sure if this is much help, but it was just a thought.
CI
1) I have only one USB antenna; so I am using the same MAC-address in all cases. anyway, MAC- filtering is not switched on and I have even switched off the encryption.
2) yes DHCP is on. I have no idea how to release leases .. Please clarify.
3) I use automatic IP-allocation
Anyway , I compared all settings in the properties between the system that does connect and the one that does not and I can not find any difference

Thanks for the thoughts, guys, but ...
For what it is worth. I now also have a desktop under installation with the same problem.
This is driving me mad.

Reaction score
I found the problem.:thumb:
The installation disc (BenQ) for the USB antenna contains 5 drivers for the same device (heaven knows why; it is not explained anywhere); if you select the 1st one, as will happen if you are not fast enough, the driver will load OK, but not allow connection. All of the others seem to function correctly.
This is about the most stupid thing that I have ever seen .... on the BenQ support site I did not find anything.

Thank you all for your advices and sorry to have bothered you with something this trivial.
Have a great weekend
Rob

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Pensionada said:
I found the problem.:thumb:
Thank you all for your advices and sorry to have bothered you with something this trivial.
Have a great weekend
Rob
Your welcome ... Have a nice day.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question