wireless extention/booster

Reaction score
Most of the time when online at home I am in the same room as my wireless router. However occasionally I need to work in another room (noisy family). The house is single story and L-shaped so I actually have clear line of sight from window to window of the two rooms. However, the layout of the second room is such that I cant actually position the laptop in view of the window and consequently get a rubbish wireless signal and slow connection. If standing by the window then get full strength signal!

What I need ideally is some way of recieving the signal by the window and then re-emitting it into the room for max connectivity - if that makes sense...?

What would my options be to get better signal strength in the second room? A booster at the router end/larger antenna wouldnt really solve the problem as would still be directly behind a thick wall.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I recently moved into a new place and it is a relatively big three story town house. It is about 20 years old and has nice big thick concrete walls and they are just great for wireless networking... almost as great as a car with no wheels. I use a D-Link 802.11n Extreme wireless router for the first floor and it is great for using notebooks and other wireless devices, on the first floor. However once you start to venture past the second floor and onto the third floor, where we spend quite a bit of time, the D-Link router really struggles to provide a strong wireless radio signal in that part of the house. We are able to connect to the D-Link router from the third floor but the connection is flaky at best – it will connect for a while and then drop out without warning. Surfing the Internet feels like we are back on a ten year old 56k dial-up connection, even though, the main router is connected to an ADSL2 modem.

In this guide you will learn how to make very good use of an old wireless router which is otherwise sitting around doing nothing. You will learn how to turn it into a DIY wireless access point and save money in the process by not having to go out and buy a brand new wireless access point or wireless range extender, which will set you back $100 USD or more. I guess you could say it is an exercise in recycling old computer parts and that makes us feel pretty good about ourselves, but even better by not having to fork over cash on new products unnecessarily.

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/1575/1/using_an_old_router_as_a_diy_wireless_access_point/index.html

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Or you could try a tin can.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2286684.php

laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Or a tin can and a old satellite dish.

It is easy to make a surplus Primestar dish into a highly directional antenna for the very popular IEEE 802.11 wireless networking. The resulting antenna has about 22 db of gain, and is fed with 50 ohm coaxial cable. Usually LMR400 or 9913 low loss cable is used if the source is more than a few feet from the antenna. The range using two of these antennas with a line of sight path is around 10 miles at full bandwidth. I must stress the line of sight part though. Leaves really attenuate the signal.

http://people.wallawalla.edu/~Rob.Frohne/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.html

happywave.gif

laughingsmiley.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Can't you position the router midway between the two rooms where the two arms of the L meet?

My router is in the hall, which is fairly central, and the signal is fine all over the house. :nod:

Ask a Question