Wifi Antenna

Reaction score
My other thread ended up being more memory / bios focussed so thought I would start a separate one.

I bought the screw in wifi antenna and it's working, but doesn't seem quite as resilient as the previous one.

The previous one had 2 wires which screwed into the 2 parts on the motherboard via the back plate. I am guessing one of them is for 2.4ghz and one is for the 5ghz. I've only got the 5ghz one plugged in so maybe that's the issue?

I guess my question would be, is it worth investing in a 'better' antenna? Second option is to get a cable patched through the house and go with a cat5 (or 6 or 7?!) direct connection?

Bodhi

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cable would be the best way if that's not too difficult - it'll make a big difference!

As for the antenna, you could be correct in that it's just not as good. When you say not resilient, what do you mean? Disconnections, lag or speed issues?

Reaction score
Cable would be the best way if that's not too difficult - it'll make a big difference!

As for the antenna, you could be correct in that it's just not as good. When you say not resilient, what do you mean? Disconnections, lag or speed issues?

Just stability. Getting some disconnections. Seems fast enough. I might get a cable put in if it keeps up like this.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd defo get a cable if you can :). Could always try another antenna in the meantime if they're cheap enough to pick up (or a separate, better WiFi card)?

Reaction score
I'd defo get a cable if you can :). Could always try another antenna in the meantime if they're cheap enough to pick up (or a separate, better WiFi card)?

Just to close this out, I ended up getting a cable fitted through the walls in the house and I’m now cables rather than wifi.

Definitely the way to go. I don’t really notice any speed difference but stability wise it’s great.

Ask a Question