Why won't my laptop not work off mains?

Reaction score
Hi, My Packard Bell EasyNote TM87 will not work off mains only. I had previously been using it with the battery inserted AND plugged into the mains - yes, I am no geek! - however, as the battery is getting a bit old and tired [just like me!] and only gives me about 30 mins when fully charged I experimented by removing the battery and just powering from the mains but even though the charger is 'live', i.e the neon light is lit, no power is going to the laptop. Any ideas/help will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
A lit light on a PSU does not necessarily indicate a secondary voltage or certainly the voltage you need.

Have you checked the output from the charger itself using a multimeter?

Reaction score
Hi, My Packard Bell EasyNote TM87 will not work off mains only. I had previously been using it with the battery inserted AND plugged into the mains - yes, I am no geek! - however, as the battery is getting a bit old and tired [just like me!] and only gives me about 30 mins when fully charged I experimented by removing the battery and just powering from the mains but even though the charger is 'live', i.e the neon light is lit, no power is going to the laptop. Any ideas/help will be greatly appreciated.

I hope I understand your point! I assume the neon is on because the powerline is live - not because power is being used.
Plug-in the power lead and leave the battery in its place. Does the laptop work? It should do and if not there is a problem to be resolved.
AFAIK the battery is part of the power circuit in a laptop and if not in place the circuit is interrupted.

Reaction score
Hello Malcolm and thank you.

I didn't realise that the battery is part of the power circuit -
I thought I could use the laptop without the battery - i.e. just plugged into the mains so
I've tried what you suggested - plugged in the power lead and left the battery in place but
i'm still having a problem in that the power lead sometimes connects + sometimes doesn't so
I think I'll have to take laptop to the 'doctor':]

TisI

Ask a Question