Why freeware turns shareware?

Why Tea

Many freeware have turned $$$ware over the years. I think as a free
software has become mature and feature rich enough, this is a logical
path. I also think that it is fair way to get paid for the previous
effort. I just wonder how many users actually pay for this type of
software?

/Why Tea

Eugene Esterly III

I agree with you about the fact that freeware software has matured over
the years.

I remember that years ago, many people considered freeware inferior to
commerical software. But nowadays, freeware has matured to where it is
on par & in many case, much better than commerical software.

Also some freeware software turns shareware because of popularity.
Let's say that a person releases a freeware prog, it becomes so popular
that the author decides to turn the program into shareware since it is
very popular.

KeithS

Why said:
I just wonder how many users actually pay for this type of
software?

I've paid/donated for freeware when I consider it worth while and the
author is constantly updating his software, I've also bought software
which has gone commercial. I'm quite happy to do this, but YMMV. Not
worth making a fuss about.

John Jay Smith

Thats where open source differs from freeware....

Freeware is closed code and the creator can cash in on it at any time.

Michael Laplante

Why Tea said:
Many freeware have turned $$$ware over the years. I think as a free
software has become mature and feature rich enough, this is a logical
path. I also think that it is fair way to get paid for the previous
effort. I just wonder how many users actually pay for this type of
software?

I can't say I've "followed" a piece of freeware to shareware. I have
purchased software based upon a freeware version of the product. My only
disappointment in that regard was Treepad. I love the freeware text based
version, but the commercial product was plagued by a buggy RTF editor and I
abandoned it.

I've also purchased the commercial versions of Notetab Lite and Web Dwarf.

I can think of only a couple of examples of a freeware that I would probably
follow to shareware and I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't yet sent the
authors a donation for their excellent programs.

Vic Dura

Many freeware have turned $$$ware over the years. I think as a free
software has become mature and feature rich enough, this is a logical
path. I also think that it is fair way to get paid for the previous
effort. I just wonder how many users actually pay for this type of
software?

Well, I bought Total Uninstall when it went Shareware. Probably one or
two others that I don't recall right now.

I also make PayPal donations to freeware authors that have a PayPal
button on their site.

IMO it's the right thing to do.

Craig

Why said:
Many freeware have turned $$$ware over the years...I just wonder how
many users actually pay for this type of software?

/Why Tea

ISTR we had a thread on the "why's" of this...I'd always assumed some
freeware evolves into $ware because the author(s) didn't realize

1) how popular it would become /and/
2) how much friggin time+energy it'd take to support users.

In other words, I'd always assumed the jump was made because of
inexperience on the part of the author(s). They get in too deep and
refuse to abandon the project. What's left? Open-source it or start
charging.

I have about 80 apps/utilities on my personal desktop that are either
free or open source. Of the 80, I give either time or money to 5 of
these. I don't use payware on non-production to see if I can. (I can.)

Btw, for those who have never done so, being a part of the development
process can be a *lot* of fun. Look at the free apps you're using:
Pick a few and see which have been asking for help. Try it, you'll get
hooked in no time!

-Craig

Al Klein

Thats where open source differs from freeware....

Freeware is closed code and the creator can cash in on it at any time.

Open source is also freeware, but the author of an open source program
can always add something to it and make it shareware.

Susan Bugher

Al said:
On 28 Apr 2006 15:22:55 +0200, "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote:

Good grief. . . Freeware can be open source and a lot of it is.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php

"Freeware: Legally obtainable software that you may use at no cost,
monetary or otherwise, for as long as you wish."
Open source is also freeware, but the author of an open source program
can always add something to it and make it shareware.

wrong, Wrong, WRONG. . . "Open source" does not mean free of monetary
cost. . .

<q>
``Free software'' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the
concept, you should think of ``free'' as in ``free speech,'' not as in
``free beer.''
</q>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Eugene Esterly III

Al said:
Open source is also freeware, but the author of an open source program
can always add something to it and make it shareware.

Open Source software which is released under the GPL can also be sold,
the only thing that the author has to do is release the source code to
the software.

Al Klein

Open Source software which is released under the GPL can also be sold,
the only thing that the author has to do is release the source code to
the software.

Which means that you can compile (assemble, interpret ...) the source.

Maynard Man

Why Tea said:
Many freeware have turned $$$ware over the years. I think as a free
software has become mature and feature rich enough, this is a logical
path. I also think that it is fair way to get paid for the previous
effort. I just wonder how many users actually pay for this type of
software?

/Why Tea

I think some initially use the freeware route to get the software out in the
field for "testing the water" so to speak. Once they have established if the
software is useful and will be used by a large audience, then they can look
at maybe recouping something for the possible long hours and hard work that
has gone into the software. Some take the donation route, but some go
sharware. In theory, the better freeware will go shareware, but it doesn't
always happen.

Lou

Maynard said:
I think some initially use the freeware route to get the software out in the
field for "testing the water" so to speak. Once they have established if the
software is useful and will be used by a large audience, then they can look
at maybe recouping something for the possible long hours and hard work that
has gone into the software. Some take the donation route, but some go
sharware. In theory, the better freeware will go shareware, but it doesn't
always happen.

Some do freeware because it makes them feel good and they do not need the money.

Lou
Please don't generalize. There is only ONE true generalization...
"There are exceptions to ALL generalizations".

Zaphod

(imho) it has been the path taken to publise, posibly beta test and
build a base of possible future customers in many cases, I was an early
user of F-PROT for DOS, and would regularly visit frisks home page, it
was the first win32 virus scanner I used when they released it for
free.. I found out about it through information of the relaese on thier
home page.... and I still use it and have payed for it since the first
commercial release through to today, all these years later! ... so it
did work for Fisk in my case... and I'm sure many software vendors have
used this same tecnic...
I sure hope that many of the wonderful freeware applications out there
today stay open source or free ... but we do live in a market
economy.... many of us anyway... and money makes the world go around.