Why don't my USB devices work as in Windows XP?

MICHAEL

Let us know what happens.

Take care,

Michael

* Craig:
Thanks Michael, I'll try it.

MICHAEL said:
Craig,

Have you tried this hotfix update?
KB Article Number 936003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;936003
Microsoft has released a cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista. This rollup helps
establish a quality baseline for the USB core components on the Windows Vista operating system.
This rollup supersedes previously-released USB fixes and contains additional high-applicability
USB fixes.

You can go here and request the update.
https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1410&WS=hotfix
Contact Us: Hotfix Request Web Submission Form

-Michael

* Craig:
Hi Darrell, The hot fix didn't work, Thats about it with Vista for me, Thanks
for your help.

:

Hello Craig,
Your Incache may be corrupted adn the symptoms you are describing would be
very similar.
try this update:

937187 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in
Windows Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver
software for your device"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;937187

See if that allows detection to work again.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWc=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Why don't my USB devices work as in Windows XP?
|> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:02:00 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Yes John, I ahve tried from the device manager to no avail, My point is
this,
|> A legacy usb thumb drive like the Sandisk cruzer should just "work". It
has
|> no software to install and relies on the built in windows drivers. No
one
|> (not MS, HP, This forum, Native Instruments support - no one) so far has
|> given me an answer to that simple question much less a tougher one like
the
|> KORE install.
|> Thanks
|>
|> "John Barnes" wrote:
|>
|> > Most printers install with their own install program which asks for
the usb
|> > printer to be plugged in during the program install. You should
cancel the
|> > found new hardware for the printer. Try to install the other items
from
|> > device manager. Some times you can install from there when you can't
get it
|> > to work from the startup found new hardware wizard.

Play

Hardware"

Hardware"

Retarded

Hi Michael,
That hot fix didn't work either. However after uninstalling all the Windows
updates back to May I was able (with a considerable amount of trial and
error) to install my KORE controller device throught the device manager. So
I'm still left with being unable to plug and play my USB 2.0 (powered) hubs,
sandisk cruzer thumb drives or Epson R300 printer. Thanks again for your
assistance.
Craig

MICHAEL said:
Let us know what happens.

Take care,

Michael

* Craig:
Thanks Michael, I'll try it.

MICHAEL said:
Craig,

Have you tried this hotfix update?
KB Article Number 936003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;936003
Microsoft has released a cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista. This rollup helps
establish a quality baseline for the USB core components on the Windows Vista operating system.
This rollup supersedes previously-released USB fixes and contains additional high-applicability
USB fixes.

You can go here and request the update.
https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1410&WS=hotfix
Contact Us: Hotfix Request Web Submission Form

-Michael

* Craig:
Hi Darrell, The hot fix didn't work, Thats about it with Vista for me, Thanks
for your help.

:

Hello Craig,
Your Incache may be corrupted adn the symptoms you are describing would be
very similar.
try this update:

937187 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in
Windows Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver
software for your device"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;937187

See if that allows detection to work again.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWc=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Why don't my USB devices work as in Windows XP?
|> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:02:00 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Yes John, I ahve tried from the device manager to no avail, My point is
this,
|> A legacy usb thumb drive like the Sandisk cruzer should just "work". It
has
|> no software to install and relies on the built in windows drivers. No
one
|> (not MS, HP, This forum, Native Instruments support - no one) so far has
|> given me an answer to that simple question much less a tougher one like
the
|> KORE install.
|> Thanks
|>
|> "John Barnes" wrote:
|>
|> > Most printers install with their own install program which asks for
the usb
|> > printer to be plugged in during the program install. You should
cancel the
|> > found new hardware for the printer. Try to install the other items
from
|> > device manager. Some times you can install from there when you can't
get it
|> > to work from the startup found new hardware wizard.

Play

Hardware"

Hardware"

Retarded

MICHAEL

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

As time progresses, I think many of these problems
will be fixed. I've seen a lot of progress from hardware/software
vendors since Vista was first released. However, there are going to
be things that just won't work with Vista, and that's really the fault
of the manufacturers/software companies.

Best of luck.

Take care,

Michael

* Craig:
Hi Michael,
That hot fix didn't work either. However after uninstalling all the Windows
updates back to May I was able (with a considerable amount of trial and
error) to install my KORE controller device throught the device manager. So
I'm still left with being unable to plug and play my USB 2.0 (powered) hubs,
sandisk cruzer thumb drives or Epson R300 printer. Thanks again for your
assistance.
Craig

MICHAEL said:
Let us know what happens.

Take care,

Michael

* Craig:
Thanks Michael, I'll try it.

:

Craig,

Have you tried this hotfix update?
KB Article Number 936003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;936003
Microsoft has released a cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista. This rollup helps
establish a quality baseline for the USB core components on the Windows Vista operating system.
This rollup supersedes previously-released USB fixes and contains additional high-applicability
USB fixes.

You can go here and request the update.
https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1410&WS=hotfix
Contact Us: Hotfix Request Web Submission Form

-Michael

* Craig:
Hi Darrell, The hot fix didn't work, Thats about it with Vista for me, Thanks
for your help.

:

Hello Craig,
Your Incache may be corrupted adn the symptoms you are describing would be
very similar.
try this update:

937187 Error message when you try to install a new hardware device in
Windows Vista: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver
software for your device"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;937187

See if that allows detection to work again.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWc=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Why don't my USB devices work as in Windows XP?
|> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:02:00 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Yes John, I ahve tried from the device manager to no avail, My point is
this,
|> A legacy usb thumb drive like the Sandisk cruzer should just "work". It
has
|> no software to install and relies on the built in windows drivers. No
one
|> (not MS, HP, This forum, Native Instruments support - no one) so far has
|> given me an answer to that simple question much less a tougher one like
the
|> KORE install.
|> Thanks
|>
|> "John Barnes" wrote:
|>
|> > Most printers install with their own install program which asks for
the usb
|> > printer to be plugged in during the program install. You should
cancel the
|> > found new hardware for the printer. Try to install the other items
from
|> > device manager. Some times you can install from there when you can't
get it
|> > to work from the startup found new hardware wizard.

Play

Hardware"

Hardware"

Retarded

STARRIDER 2276

Craig said:
Many of usb devices that worked in Win XP by just pluging them in do not
work on Windows Vista Home Premium,
1. Plug in my Epson R300 Stylus and see "Found New Hardware" but windows
can't find the driver even when I point it right to the location
(PnPDriverNotFound error - Yes, Plug and Play service is started), Yes, Epson
says it works with Vista -

2. Plug in my Native Instruments KORE Sound device/Midi controller and see
"Found New Hardware" but windows can't find the driver even when I point it
right to the location (PnPDriverNotFound error - Yes, Plug and Play service
is started), Yes, Native Instruments says it works with Vista,

3. Plug in my Sandisk Cruzer thumb drive and see "Found New Hardware" but
windows can't find the driver even when I point it right to the location
(PnPDriverNotFound error - Yes, Plug and Play service is started), Does
Sandisk really have to certify this simple legacy device??

4. Plug in my HP USB 2.0/Firewire combo hub see "Found New Hardware" but
windows can't find the driver even when I point it right to the location
(PnPDriverNotFound error - Yes, Plug and Play service is started), I found
out HP doesn't have a clue after spending 4 hours on the phone and chatting
with all levels of support. They did however check with Microsoft and MS said
that they have no solution at this time!!! Other than to do a "System
Restore" Stupid asnswer...

Some of my USB/Firewire devices did get recognized though such as my
Novation Remote SL 61 key midi controller, Focusrite Saffire sound module and
my Adaptec external USB/Firewire hard drives.

Of course if Vista had an OS repair function like XP did maybe I could
re-install my PnP drivers without a full system restore... Retarded

This is happening on a new HP 8120n Q6600 Pavillion.

Any of you MVP's want to tackle this?

STARRIDER 2276

There is but one thread that keeps all of these idiots together. Native
Instruments simply has made a hardware controller that is not very compatible
with Vista or Vista Ultimate. Windows XP is actually the Operating System
that is the most compatible with Kore NI and the hardware.

They simply say things without testing whether it is really true or not.
That makes them culpable and points to the fact that the almighty dollar is
behind the advertizing. They forgot where they put the truth.

And that is a sorry situation no doubt about it. What does NI expect me to
do, buy XP, wipe my hard drive clean and start from scratch with XP just to
load something that should load easy anyway. I mean what do we pay them for I
ask you???

There is no way I would ever suggest NI products to anyone I know. That is
our only recourse that is how we slap them around, thats the only way we can
show our disgust.

Daniel Jameson

Hi,

Well, with Microsoft promising (and beta testers discovering) that Windows 7
will use the Vista driver model, things should pick up. There are all the
head in the sand-ers that used "Everyone hates Vista" as an excuse to get
out of writing signed drivers. These are all the same losers that will
adopt Windows 7 in droves to prove that the problem was Vista and not their
heads in the sand.

Just wait, I'm sure NI will soon have your solution: A new card you have to
buy; the old hardware *just* wasn't Vista/7 compatible. Epson did that to
me with my scanner. They told me that "... the Vista operating system
itself does not support the scanner" (Incident: 081229-001782) Well, I
tried installing it anyway. At the end of the install Vista said something
like "Your installation seems to have failed. Would you like Windows try
again with the proper settings?" I clicked "OK" (what did I have to loose,
it was a trial system). Vista got the scanner to work. Sounds like Vista
supported the scanner to me. Needless to say, when I needed another
scanner, I did not select an Epson.

I'm finding many vendors are all too happy that their products are Vista
incompatible. It drives upgrade sales. I have found that with some
vendors, though, you can haggle for a better upgrade price; others stand
firm.

Daniel Jameson
·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·
If the man asks you to hate another,
It is not so you can benefit at the expense of the other,
It is so he can benefit at the expense of you.

[...]

Sweetvirgo123

I'm having the same kind of problem now with Windows XP. Before we installed
a new HP Laserjet All-In-One printer, everything was fine. Now, everytime I
re-start or reboot Windows XP, it re-installs the printer hardware/software
every time and the computers have to be re-configured to select the new
installation as the default printer since it's a network printer. They have
a hotfix for this problem in Vista but not for XP - go figure! I've decided
to simply leave my computer on at work until a solution is found.