why don't I have Security tab in Windows Explorer?

Kelvin

I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 PC that is part of our Domain.
When I right click on a folder i.e. "C:\Program Files" and choose properties
there is NO Security tab.
There's a share tab and a General tab, and that it...

I had the PC rejoin the domain. changed mydomain.local, to just mydomain and
it went throught the steps, welcomes me to the domain and rebooted. I didn't
delete the computer in Active Directories...

I found a news group thread that says to go into Windows Explorer and from
the menu go to Tools\Folder Options\View and uncheck the option for Simple
File Sharing. That didn't give me a Security Tab. I did reboot after I made
the change.

On my personal PC same setup, the "Simple File Sharing" option is checked,
and I do have a security tab.

Can someone point me in the right direction to resolve this?

Thanks

Kelvin

RajKohli

If I am right then there is nothing to do with "Simple File Sharing" if your
computer is joining a domain.

You are not having Security tab could be because file system. Check the File
System of the particular drive. It should be NTFS. Security tab is only
available for the drives who have NTFS file system not FAT32.

If that was the exact problem and you want to convert your FAT parition to
NTFS file system then check this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

Hope this help, let us know!

Claymore

[...]

Hello Kelvin,

If you are using the NTFS file system check that the Security tab
hasn't been removed in Group Policy:

Start => Run and type in "gpedit.msc" {without the quotes}
Navigate to:
User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Windows Components
Windows Explorer
in the right-hand pane, check that 'Remove Security Tab' is set to
either "Not configured" or "Disabled".

Sirtokalott

Is it all folders you cannot select security for as The Program Files Folder
will not allow security options as the folder is used by the operating
system. Also You may not be able to add security to folders unless you have
your logon, password protected first of all.

Olórin

"Follow the link to get the Security tab" <Follow the link to get the
Security (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
You maybe need to do this:
http://windows.about.com/od/customizingwindows/ss/security_tab.htm

And you will have the Security tab.

Wingman

OP already described in paragraph 3 that that didn't work!!

Kelvin - Two things to check: do you have local administrator rights on the
machine? And, what file system is your C:\ partition? If you're not an admin
or it's not NTFS, you won't get a security tab.