    All of a sudden, whenever I try to drag and drop text in a Word 2003 document,
    a line appears under the text and it won't move. I don't know what I've done
    to cause this - anyone have any ideas?

    Guest, Sep 19, 2006

  2. Do you have "Drag-and-drop text editing" checked on the Edit tab of Tools |
    Options? Is the text the result of a field (such as IncludeText)?

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 19, 2006

    Your initial post is a couple of months old, but I am suddenly having the
    same problem - not able to drag/drop text. In fact, the "no" symbol (circle
    with slash through it) appears as soon as I try to drag. Suzanne, to answer
    your ?s, yes, the Drag-and-drop text editing option <is> selected. And no, I
    am not trying to drag a field; just plain old text.

    FWIW, I'm able to drag-drop in Powerpoint and Outlook, and in this browser
    field.

    I am using Word 2003, SP2 on Windows XP Professional 5.1, SP2.

    Thanks anyone for any help. I like to use drag/drop frequently!

    --
    GMc
    Phoenix

    Guest, Nov 17, 2006
  4. In general, you can drag text only into areas where there is already text;
    you can't drag it outside the margins or beyond the end-of-document marker.

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Nov 17, 2006

    I'm having the same problem. I get the "no" symbol when I drag selected
    text. I am not allowed to drop the text into other text. This began
    sometime last week, and has metastasized such that all new word documents
    forbid drag-and-drop. I don't know what option I might have changed to cause
    this.

    I can cut-and-paste or copy-and-paste text just fine. The drag-and-drop box
    in Tools/Options/Edit is checked. Unchecking it does not fix the problem,
    but does make it so that I can't drag text.

    I'm using Word 2003 SP2 on Windows XP Home Edition version 5.1.2600 with SP2
    Build 2600.

    Jon

    Guest, Nov 26, 2006

    Suzanne,
    Sorry for the late response (holidays and all that). Yes, I know where
    dragged text can be dropped (but thx for the thought). I cannot drag/drop
    text into any (correct) text position on any page; now I see that jons73 is
    having the same problem.

    If you or anyone has discovered a solution to this irritating prob., would
    appreciate hearing it very much. Imagine that jons73 also would welcome it -
    he seems to be in the same boat.

    Again, thanks for offering something (albeit not the solution).

    --
    GMc
    Phoenix

    Guest, Nov 28, 2006

    I found a solution! Jons73 and anyone else w/the drag-drop problem (or other
    settings problems), try this: Close any open Word files (do not quit Word).
    From the Help menu, choose Detect and Repair. This is supposed to fix
    problems in Word, and it did fix the drag-drop prob. for me. For more info on
    fixing problems, see Knowledge Base article 822005, "How to reset user
    options and registry settings in Microsoft Office Word..."

    Yea-a-a-a!

    --
    GMc
    Phoenix

    Guest, Nov 28, 2006

    Today my drag-and-drop problem disappeared. I don't know what might have
    caused this, but I will try this trick if it comes back. Thanks for finding
    this solution.

    Jon

    Guest, Nov 28, 2006

    johnford1963

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ensure no MS Word dialog boxes are open. For example I often keep the "Find" box open when reading a long document to look up material or find acronyms. When the box is open I can't drag and drop. Close the "Find" box and TaDaaa, it works again!

    johnford1963, Aug 17, 2012