Why are mainboard boxes already opened?

Garrot

That is nothing compared to the germs you pick up from motherboards that are
not factory sealed.

I agree, we should call for a boycott of all mb's that are not factory
sealed.

John Doe

Clive Coleman. said:
I wonder if this troll has ever learnt the English language.

Good enough to use speech recognition for command/control
and dictation.

:D

Clive Coleman.

John Doe said:
Good enough to use speech recognition for command/control
and dictation.

:D
You mean like the joke Sky uses to put subtitle up on screen?

John Doe

You mean like the joke Sky uses to put subtitle up on screen?

To put subtitle up on screen?
Is Sky your All-Star wrestling idol?

Speech recognition is an advanced form of input to a computer or
telephone system. At least here in the United States, speech
recognition is increasingly used by large companies to handle
consumer telephone calls. I use speech recognition for input at my
computer. I rarely type nowadays, there's no need. Being a
macro/scripting enthusiast, I use speech recognition also for
activating macros in Windows. Using two syllable words instead of
100 different keystroke combinations for launching scripts is like
the difference between day and night.

Clive Coleman.

John Doe said:
Speech recognition is an advanced form of input to a computer or
telephone system. At least here in the United States, speech
recognition is increasingly used by large companies to handle
consumer telephone calls. I use speech recognition for input at my
computer. I rarely type nowadays, there's no need. Being a
macro/scripting enthusiast, I use speech recognition also for
activating macros in Windows. Using two syllable words instead of
100 different keystroke combinations for launching scripts is like
the difference between day and night.
I've come across it myself, it's a joke, just a little background noise
and it goes into meltdown.

John Doe

I've come across it myself, it's a joke, just a little background
noise and it goes into meltdown.

I use it sometimes with high background noise.

It's a skill like touch typing, only much harder. Knowing lots about
personal computing helps.

I do know how you feel, I've been there.

Garrot

I use it sometimes with high background noise.

It's a skill like touch typing, only much harder. Knowing lots about
personal computing helps.

I do know how you feel, I've been there.

What software do you use? I have voice recognition software for games
called Game Commander and it is only 98% accurate, I need 100% accurasy
before I will buy more similar software.

Clive Coleman.

Garrot said:
What software do you use? I have voice recognition software for games
called Game Commander and it is only 98% accurate, I need 100% accurasy
before I will buy more similar software.
Whilst this person calling themselves John Doe which we know is a
fictional Merkin, so is his supposed usage. Voice recognition is never
100% accurate, you have to train the software to recognise your voice
and you need precise filtering to remove all background noise before any
accuracy can be obtained which therefore also filters out some of your
voice. If you want to chase dreams, may your god go with you, if
you're part of the real world you'd accept reality and give up. This
is Usenet, don't believe everyone's claims.

John Doe

Troll

From: "Clive Coleman." <clive yewbank.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: Why are mainboard boxes already opened?
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 16:14:49 +0100
References: <Xns984FB395870340123456789 207.115.17.102> <R-6dnf7vz40p-L3YnZ2dnUVZ_oOdnZ2d comcast.com> <wrr8f81hsya6$.15yawdf6rg9hg.dlg 40tude.net> <g8g2i2do00ba26rl5316n9fhdbm1prdsef 4ax.com> <Xns9850C1A24DFEA0123456789 207.115.17.102> <joUJrykGoDJFFwQb yewbank.demon.co.uk> <Xns9852E4CCD9F2C0123456789 207.115.17.102> <8Pt+ykFgiMJFFwg5 yewbank.demon.co.uk> <Xns98532DFB3E9FE0123456789 207.115.17.102> <QMkFiaMERNJFFwV+ yewbank.demon.co.uk> <Xns98533E4592FF20123456789 207.115.17.102> <13oz61cygp52r$.j8g2e3pv9tp6$.dlg 40tude.net>

Garrot said:
What software do you use? I have voice recognition software for games
called Game Commander and it is only 98% accurate, I need 100% accurasy
before I will buy more similar software.
Whilst this person calling themselves John Doe which we know is a
fictional Merkin, so is his supposed usage. Voice recognition is never
100% accurate, you have to train the software to recognise your voice
and you need precise filtering to remove all background noise before any
accuracy can be obtained which therefore also filters out some of your
voice. If you want to chase dreams, may your god go with you, if
you're part of the real world you'd accept reality and give up. This
is Usenet, don't believe everyone's claims.

John Doe

Garrot said:
What software do you use?

NaturallySpeaking. It's the only viable speech recognition software
currently available.
I have voice recognition software for games
called Game Commander and it is only 98% accurate, I need 100%
accurasy before I will buy more similar software.

That's up to you and your capabilities, 100% accuracy is not
necessary to benefit from speech recognition.

If I required 100% accuracy, I couldn't use Windows.

In fact, there are some subtleties with language which make 100%
accuracy almost impossible. I am beginning to see why after using
speech-recognition for one or two years.

Learning to cope with your computer's inadequacies/imperfections
helps cope with speech recognition. It's just another program, but
much more complex than usual. You have to be very patient and
flexible. On a dime, you have to switch from expecting the speech
recognition to do it for you to doing it for yourself, efficiently
changing from one mode to the other.

Using something that's not 100% accurate is a sign of computer user
maturity, IMO. Then again, if you don't have a good speaking voice,
it probably won't work no matter how computer proficient you are.

I use it for almost all of my dictation/typing, but it really really
shines for activating macros in Windows. It's amazing the difference
between using keyboard shortcuts and using a nearly unlimited number
of two (plus or minus one) syllable activators to launch scripts.

There is a significant amount of overhead. You do need a fast
computer. From the graph in my secondary monitor, its CPU usage
appears to to be about 10 to 15%. That's a lot while gaming. I use
keypad zero to turn off/on the speech recognition.

Again, it's not easy. There are daunting requirements.

.... NaturallySpeaking, the professional version if you want to do
scripting

.... a fast computer, very fast if you want to use speech recognition
while gaming, and as any gamer knows you don't want any unnecessary
programs running

.... the ability to cope with imperfection and instantly switch from
voice input to manual input and back

.... the ability to concentrate

.... a good speaking voice, that's probably the biggest problem if
you don't already speak clearly, I practiced for a year or two
speaking into a digital recorder and playing it back (digital
recorders are very useful for taking notes anyway)

Of course, the ability to recognize what is being said is most
important. There is lots of hype in speech-recognition sales, every
new version of speech recognition is "25% more accurate" than the
last even though the last version was already "99% accurate". And if
you ever ask questions in the speech users group, you will run into
a guy who sells microphones and sound cards. He'll sell you as much
as he can, promising better speech recognition, and when it still
doesn't work it doesn't take much to figure out it's your voice
that's the problem. In other words, all you can do is hang your head
in shame because all of his other customers (however few in reality)
can use speech recognition just fine.

Hardware doesn't make all that much difference. I bought a cheap USB
microphone, removed the analog wire going from the microphone to the
analog to digital converter, soldered the microphone right there,
and made my own headset/headband for it.

Unfortunately we can't depend on Microsoft to improve personal
computer input, but I think telephone systems might help drive the
technology and eventually make it more accessible.

Clive Coleman.

John Doe said:
Unfortunately we can't depend on Microsoft to improve personal
computer input, but I think telephone systems might help drive the
technology and eventually make it more accessible.
What is your personal insecurity that you need to display this garbage
every post you make?

JAD

John Doe said:
NaturallySpeaking. It's the only viable speech recognition software
currently available.

Used DRAGON since it was free at the Comp shows....no big deal....and O
really loved the hours of set up. If your handicapped physically then its a
God Sent (in your case I can't see how being mentally handicapped is
benifited by specognition) , other than that, a whole lotta hooey....
[...]

newssvr21.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm04.news.prodigy.com!newsdst01.news.prodigy
..net!prodigy.com!newscon04.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!pd7cy3no!pd7cy4no!sh
aw.ca!pd7urf2no.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.peri
phs.mainboard.asus