Who Uses ALL FREEWARE?

Bob Adkins

Who among us are so hard core they use all Freeware? (Except the OS, of
course.)

Except for highly specialized business programs, What Shareware or
Commercial programs are not replaceable by Freeware?

My weakness? Nod32 AV, Second Copy (backup program), Performance Test (bench
marking), and FlashGet. Oh yea, and Forte Agent.

Bob

TerryP

Who among us are so hard core they use all Freeware? (Except the OS,
of course.)

Except for highly specialized business programs, What Shareware or
Commercial programs are not replaceable by Freeware?

My weakness? Nod32 AV, Second Copy (backup program), Performance
Test (bench marking), and FlashGet. Oh yea, and Forte Agent.

Bob

In addition to Performance Test and FlashGet, I bought Opera,
SmartBackup, MightyFax, and TextPad. Everything else is freeware.

Tone Marie Berg

Except for highly specialized business programs, What Shareware or
Commercial programs are not replaceable by Freeware?

The sad truth, as I have found it, is that while freeware can be good,
the commercial alternatives are often better. They have better thought
out features and much better interfaces. The latter being
understandable, as a lot of freeware is created by a single person that
rarely has a real understanding of what makes a good interface.

My irreplacables are an explorer replacement/file manager[1], email
client[2], text editor[3], bookmark manager[4], a big bunch of graphic
and desktop publishing software (or does that count as "highly
specialized business programs"?), various disk tools. Oh, and an
evergrowing pile of games. But I suppose they don't really count in
this context.

However, it must be said that I also have and use a bunch of freeware
programs that have no worthy competitors in the commercial world. Among
these I find Xnews[5], POPfile[6], Keynote[7], Hamster[8],
Proxomitron[9] (although this one might go in favour of Privoxy[10] at
some point), SmartColor[11] (suggested by an acf-er, thanks again!),
GSpot[12], BSplayer[13], Process Explorer[14], PCgen[15], GuildFTPd[16],
SmartFTP[17]... The list goes on and on.
Oh yea, and Forte Agent.

Actually, I think this one might be better done by a freeware
alternative. Have you had a look at 40tude Dialog? It seems to be a
very fine piece of software indeed. It is not for me, as I have grown
to accostumed to the Xnews way of thinking, but I do think an Agent
user might fancy it. <URL:http://www.40tude.com/dialog/>

Tone

[1] Qverpgbel Bchf. All freeware alternatives not only pale, but seem
like rather bad jokes in comparison.
[2] Gur Ong! A good example to prove that commercial interfaces aren't
*always* better. Still, the stuff beneath it is good enough for
me to keep using it and (almost) never look away.
[3] Grkgcnq. I might find a freeware alternative to this one, I just
haven't looked all that hard.
[4] Cbjreznexf. I have yet to see a freeware alternative that even
thinks remotely like this.
[5] <URL:http://xnews.newsguy.com/> It seems to finally have died,
which is sad. After trying a number of other newsreaders out, it
seems Xnews truly *is* irreplacable.
[6] <URL:http://popfile.sourceforge.net/>
[7] <URL:http://www.tranglos.com/free/>
[8] <URL:http://www.tglsoft.de/>
[9] All gone, I'm afraid. :(
[10] <URL:http://www.privoxy.org/>
[11] <URL:http://www.isotton.com/smartcolor/>
[12] <URL:http://www.headbands.com/gspot/>
[13] <URL:http://www.bsplayer.org/>
[14] <URL:http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>
[15] <URL:http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/> Ok, so this *is* a rather
specialized tool, but I still couldn't live without it.
[16] <URL:http://www.guildftpd.com/>
[17] <URL:http://www.smartftp.com/> ... but I understand this has
entered a grey area these days?

Bernd Schmitt

Bob said:
Who among us are so hard core they use all Freeware? (Except the OS, of
course.)
Not except the OS (this posting is from the office). At home I use only
free software (GPL).

Ernest Fairchild

"The universe needs a reboot."
Tone Marie Berg said:
[1] Qverpgbel Bchf. All freeware alternatives not only pale, but seem
like rather bad jokes in comparison.
[2] Gur Ong! A good example to prove that commercial interfaces aren't
*always* better. Still, the stuff beneath it is good enough for
me to keep using it and (almost) never look away.
[3] Grkgcnq. I might find a freeware alternative to this one, I just
haven't looked all that hard.
[4] Cbjreznexf. I have yet to see a freeware alternative that even
thinks remotely like this.

Why on earth did you ROT13 the names? That makes it a tad inconvenient to
read.

Have a great day!
____________________________
Ernest

Susan Bugher

Bob said:
Who among us are so hard core they use all Freeware? (Except the OS, of
course.)

Except for highly specialized business programs, What Shareware or
Commercial programs are not replaceable by Freeware?

My weakness? Nod32 AV, Second Copy (backup program), Performance Test (bench
marking), and FlashGet. Oh yea, and Forte Agent.

Why? What features are not available in freeware? Requests for the
Freeware Wish List?

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/freewarewishlist.htm

Susan

dszady

Who among us are so hard core they use all Freeware? (Except the OS,
of course.)

Except for highly specialized business programs, What Shareware or
Commercial programs are not replaceable by Freeware?

My weakness? Nod32 AV, Second Copy (backup program), Performance Test
(bench marking), and FlashGet. Oh yea, and Forte Agent.

Bob

I haven't bought any software in at least 2 years. The last one I bought
was M$ Pinball. Trashed that. I use Excel for a freeware checking account
program. Be happy to find a smaller Excel clone for free. Any suggestions?
And finally the original CD-R\W Bloatware that came with it. I hate that
software too. It's a #*%$^*& piece of crap! Am I bitter? Yes I am.

One piece of freeware that shareware can't beat: Weather Pulse v1.5.7.1
The only thing better is an on-line weather service.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Who among us are so hard core they use all Freeware? (Except the
OS, of course.)

Except for highly specialized business programs, What Shareware or
Commercial programs are not replaceable by Freeware?

My weakness? Nod32 AV, Second Copy (backup program), Performance
Test (bench marking), and FlashGet. Oh yea, and Forte Agent.

Other than an OS and some of the stuff that came bundled in with it,
the only commercial apps I use are:

Paint Shop Pro 6.02 - at the time I bought it, the freeware graphics
apps were not as good as they are now. It's doubtful that I will
ever upgrade to a newer version of PSP; before I even consider
paying for an upgrade, I'll try the freeware offerings again first.

The Bat! - E-mail is important enough to me to find the app that
suits me best, freeware or not. I tried the freeware ones and ruled
them out one by one. Then I bought TB!

BootIt NG - When I was trying out partition and boot managers, this
one impressed me enough to buy it.

Nero Burning ROM - Came with my CD-RW drive, and it. It's a
slightly cripped version of the full retail one. The only thing I
need which it won't do is to make ISOs; for that, I use the
freeware Disc Dump +Frontend, <http://come.to/ddumpfrontend>.

Other than that, it's all freeware. If I wanted an on-access AV
app, or one that will scan my whole system, I guess I'd probably buy
one. As it is, I use the freeware F-PROT for DOS to scan individual
files.

dszady

Why? What features are not available in freeware? Requests for the
Freeware Wish List?

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/freewarewishlist.htm

Susan

What is needed: A freeware wall calendar maker

Why: So that I can insert one or more of my photos into it and print on
photo paper.

Features:

An individual picture for the background each month (ripoff) with yearlong
adjustable height banner.

An individual picture for the top each month (rip-off) plain 12 months to
write notes on.

One photo for the top and 12 smaller paper sheets for the months.

Ability to add user-signifigant dates (astro, religious, birthdays etc.)

Different heights and widths.

Aaron

My irreplacables are an explorer replacement/file manager[1], email
client[2], text editor[3], bookmark manager[4], a big bunch of graphic
and desktop publishing software (or does that count as "highly
specialized business programs"?), various disk tools. Oh, and an
evergrowing pile of games. But I suppose they don't really count in
this context.
However, it must be said that I also have and use a bunch of freeware
programs that have no worthy competitors in the commercial world. Among
these I find Xnews[5], POPfile[6], Keynote[7], Hamster[8],
Proxomitron[9] (although this one might go in favour of Privoxy[10] at
some point),

About proxomitron.
[9] All gone, I'm afraid. :(

Hardly, there are dozen of proxomitron download sites.

Here is one http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html

Aaron

Maureen Goldman

Bob Adkins said:
Who among us are so hard core they use all Freeware? (Except the OS, of
course.)

Except for highly specialized business programs, What Shareware or
Commercial programs are not replaceable by Freeware?

My weakness? Nod32 AV, Second Copy (backup program), Performance Test (bench
marking), and FlashGet. Oh yea, and Forte Agent.

The paid version of Agent for me - when I bought it many years ago, I
REALLY wanted the kill filter function. Other than that, I paid for
Scrabble (which later turned up in cereal boxes, grrrrr). Other than
that and the OS, I believe everything is freeware. I've sent the
occasional contribution.

POKO

What is needed: A freeware wall calendar maker

Why: So that I can insert one or more of my photos into it and print on
photo paper.

Features:

An individual picture for the background each month (ripoff) with yearlong
adjustable height banner.

An individual picture for the top each month (rip-off) plain 12 months to
write notes on.

One photo for the top and 12 smaller paper sheets for the months.

Ability to add user-signifigant dates (astro, religious, birthdays etc.)

Different heights and widths.
Take it a step further:
A calendar of the most prolific acf posters along with revealing
pictures. I'm seeing John in a cop uniform, Blinky as an employee of
SeaWorld, Boomer - well, I can't tell ya what I'm seeing there...
POKO

Boomer

Aaron said:
news:blf165.l4.1@ID- 86522.user.dfncis.de: [snip]
However, it must be said that I also have and use a bunch of
freeware programs that have no worthy competitors in the
commercial world. Among these I find Xnews[5], POPfile[6],
Keynote[7], Hamster[8], Proxomitron[9] (although this one might
go in favour of Privoxy[10] at some point),

About proxomitron.
[9] All gone, I'm afraid. :(

Hardly, there are dozen of proxomitron download sites.

Here is one http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-cat-19.html

Aaron

This is the main one:
http://duke.usask.ca/~macphed/prox/

donutbandit

Yes, the link works. The program, however, seems to be as good as dead.

Why do you assume the program is "dead" because the creator of it doesn't
update it any more?

Maybe it's mature software that no longer needs updating.

I know that in every poll I've ever seen about newsreaders, Xnews wins
hands down.

So much for "dead."

Glenn

I like free. What the hell, I'm tight. I still have WordPerfect and Word
and Excel and several photo working programs and Quicken and several more I
won't boor you with. That said I'm looking for a freebee tray program that
I'm entering now under its own header.

Glenn

Blinky the Shark

Ernest said:
"The universe needs a reboot."
[1] Qverpgbel Bchf. All freeware alternatives not only pale, but seem
like rather bad jokes in comparison.
[2] Gur Ong! A good example to prove that commercial interfaces aren't
*always* better. Still, the stuff beneath it is good enough for
me to keep using it and (almost) never look away.
[3] Grkgcnq. I might find a freeware alternative to this one, I just
haven't looked all that hard.
[4] Cbjreznexf. I have yet to see a freeware alternative that even
thinks remotely like this.
Why on earth did you ROT13 the names? That makes it a tad inconvenient to
read.

Esc-r. No problem. ;)

Honest Question: Does OE not do ROT13?