Which version to buy?

StrandElectric

Hi all

I have for years used Word 2000 with all its patches and found it adequate
for all my needs and stable. However, increasing numbers if cklients are
sending stuff in DOCX form so I suppose I had better upgrade.

Should I go straight into 2010 (I think that's the latest version) or would
an earlier one be more stable and if so which do you recommend?

Minor question: am I permitted to put it on two machines only used by me? 1
laptop and 1 desktop? And to change to fresh machines from time to time, or
is there some form of activation that gets in the way ? (I mention this
because my Word 2000 has been reinstalled on at least four machines over the
years).

Your urgent answer would be appreciated. I promised a new editing client I'd
be ready for her DOCX today!

trip_to_tokyo

Hi all

I have for years used Word 2000 with all its patches and found it adequate
for all my needs and stable. However, increasing numbers if cklients are
sending stuff in DOCX form so I suppose I had better upgrade.

Should I go straight into 2010 (I think that's the latest version) or would
an earlier one be more stable and if so which do you recommend?

Minor question: am I permitted to put it on two machines only used by me?1
laptop and 1 desktop? And to change to fresh machines from time to time, or
is there some form of activation that gets in the way ? (I mention this
because my Word 2000 has been reinstalled on at least four machines over the
years).

Your urgent answer would be appreciated. I promised a new editing client I'd
be ready for her DOCX today!

In my view 2007 is stable (I use it myself each day) but 2010 has not
yet reached that state.

Yes you are premitted to put it on a, "desktop" and a, "laptop".

You are allowed to de-install from one machine and put it on another.
I believe this process is monitored by Microsoft.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Perhaps a biased view, but the Word Product Group regard Word 2010 as more
stable than 2007, and it has incorporated fixes for a lot of customer pain
points.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

[...]

Stefan Blom

Also, finding Office 2007 at all might be difficult nowadays...

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Graham Mayor

Notwithstanding the comments from Suzanne and Stefan, I tend to agree with
'trip-to-tokyo'. I have both installed here and tend to prefer Word 2007. It
is somewhat less quirky than 2010 and frankly it looks better on screen. It
may not affect you but it is also rather more compatible with earlier and
third party products. For example it works quite happily with Acrobat 8 and
you can even persuade it to work with the Office 2003 multi-language
proofing tools, neither of which Word 2010 will look at. The clincher for me
is that I don't like Outlook 2010.

Nevertheless 2010 has some additional features that make it an interesting
proposition.

The problem however is that Office 2007 is no longer available, so unless
(as seems unlikely) you are a corporate user buying lots of software or have
an MSDN account you are going to find Office 2007 difficult to find.

The limited Home and Student versions (which do not include Outlook or
Access) may be activated on three PCs, the Professional versions may be
activated on two simultaneously. Both are fully transferrable should you
need to replace a PC later. Keycard installations are valid ONLY on the PC
they were first installed upon, even if it dies the same day, so are
undoubtedly a false economy.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Steve Hayes

[...]

I have a trial version of Office 2007 on a laptop I bought a year ago, but I
haven't actually tried it yet. I wonder if I should try it, or does the trial
expire?

..

Graham Mayor

If the trial has been installed it will almost certainly have expired.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Steve Hayes

If the trial has been installed it will almost certainly have expired.

So I should just delete it without looking at it and install the Word 97I used
on my old laptop?

StrandElectric

Thanks all

I was about to go for 2010, when I found a number of postings about huge
delays (30 secs per character!) under certain conditions. I want to use this
for editing for publisher clients so cannot tolerate that! At the moment it
looks like continuing with my old faithful 2000!

Graham Mayor

It is not something I have personal experience of, but I believe the oldest
version of Office compatible with Windows 7 is Office 2003. It may not be
possible to install Office 97 - and in any case if cost is the issue you
would probably be better going with Open Office. It is a not a Word clone
but works in a similar manner.

Alternatively remove the trial which (even if it works) will without a trial
key that is no longer available, will be limited to 25 uses, then install
the 2010 trial and use the trial key that comes with it to give you 60 days
of use - by which time you should be able to decide if you want to put your
hand in your pocket to buy it.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Steve Hayes

It is not something I have personal experience of, but I believe the oldest
version of Office compatible with Windows 7 is Office 2003. It may not be
possible to install Office 97 - and in any case if cost is the issue you
would probably be better going with Open Office. It is a not a Word clone
but works in a similar manner.

I've already got Open Office on the laptop, which is one reason i havent tried
Word 2007 yet, and it opens things that people send me in .docx formet.

But I've also had to edit documents that have been converted back and forth
between Word 97 and Open Office several times (not by me), and at each
conversion it adds another version of every style in the document, so there is
Heading 2 (twice) heading 2, Heading 2 A and Heading 2 A A. And the index has
vanished entirely .

So I rather hope that installing Word 97 might obviate that. But it might
clash with the Word 2007 that came with the machine.

StrandElectric

Hi Graham

Lovely site (miaow), but all that detail makes me glad I'm sticking to my
well used and tested 2000 (for now...). I just haven't got time for all that
messing about when I've got another book to edit.