2007 to 2003 converter (docx-doc) "CONVERTER FAILED TO SAVE THE FI

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Sep 6, 2007.

    P/T College professor here - MS rolled out this product just in time for
    the back to school shoppers and I'm receiving DOCX from students that I am
    unable to view/print. While the college has certainly updated their
    facilities and labs - I work from home folks, I don't have an office or a
    computer on campus.

    I'm running XP (SP2) and have used Word Viewer 2003 or Wordpad to view
    Word documents for years now with no trouble. Why? Well, I've been
    running the same bloody Works suite at home for over 10 years because it
    works just stinkin' fine!!

    In order to open/print/grade some 10-15 papers (created with several
    different releases of the software, no doubt), I have:

    1. installed the final version of the Office Compatibility Pack

    2. attempted to open these 10 docx. When attempting to open in explorer,
    A 'Save As' window opens displaying the error, "The converter failed to save
    the file". When I try to open from within Office Viewer 2003, wordpad or
    any other application, I get a screen full of code.

    3. Uninstalled the final version of the Office Compatibility Pack

    4. installed the Office Compatibility Pack - BETA version B2TR

    5. uninstalled that product when it didn't open ANY of the docx - same
    results as #2

    6. installed the final version of the Office Compatibility Pack ONE LAST TIME

    7. Same results as #2

    I've restarted my machine after each installation/unistallation, run MS
    Update, etc, etc, etc; all to no avail.

    I'd appreciate any guidance. Papers should be graded and returned in
    22 hours.

    Guest, Sep 6, 2007

  2. Although the Compatibility Pack will not work with WordPad or the Works word
    processor, if you have Works Suite, then you should have some version of
    Word; if it is Word 2000 or 2002, the CP should work with it. According to
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en,
    the CP should also work with Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003, but the
    bottom line is that if none of these options is working right, you may have
    to ask students using 2007 to save their documents in .doc format.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Sep 6, 2007

    Re: 2007 to 2003 converter (docx-doc) "CONVERTER FAILED TO SAVE TH

    Note Item #2 in my initial post. With both the final and B2TR Converters,
    I have attemped to open the DOCX in Windows Explorer. When I double click,
    a "Save As" window opens in my taskbar while an error displays on the screen
    reading, "The converter failed to save the file." Click ok, the window
    closes - nothing accomplished.
    I also attemped to right-click the DOCX and then 'open with' the XML
    converter - I get the same error.
    Only when I try to open the DOCX from Word Viewer 2003's file menu do I
    get this indecipherable code.

    If this is the case, both converters are useless with documents saved in
    the new 2007 format.

    Guest, Sep 6, 2007