Where to purchase front panel connectors???????

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by Tom Young, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Tom Young

    Tom Young Guest

    Hi all:

    I'm upgrading the motherboard in my Compaq Presario computer and I've
    run into a slight problem. The Compaq uses some sort of proprietary
    large "block" connector to attach the front panel pieces - power led,
    disk drive led and on/off switch - to the motherboard. Naturally, the
    connecting pins on the new motherboard don't line up with the wires on
    the "block" connector. So, I've got to get a more standard set of
    these connectors to finish up the conversion.

    I'd like to get these preassembled, i.e., plug to motherboard already
    wired to led or switch, but I'm not finding any online vendor that
    carries these items. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

    Too, the current "power on" led has *three* wires coming out the back
    instead of only two wires like I'm used to. I'm guessing this is a
    led with 2 colors, with the second color perhaps indicating a "sleep"
    mode? Can anybody confirm this? (Since my computer never sleeps I've
    never seen any other color than the normal green light.)

    TIA.

    Tom Young

    Tom Young, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Tom Young

    rcm Guest

    I don't know the Presario, but I have experience with the LEDs and
    motherboard connectors. If the Compaq connector is using standard pins
    inside the connector, you might be able to transplant an old AT case
    connector to it. These are just the black plastic 2 3 or 4 or 5 pin
    connectors. A used shop might have them lying around or buy an old AT case
    cheap and use them. If you have some used stores around or even new, they
    might have some in there junk boxes. They would be with the LEDs around.
    But I don't know if they would fit. You would have to check the Presario
    pin/connector versus the replacement. Usually the pins are held in place by
    a tiny pressure tab, use a need to depress it and the pin slides out.
    Another way is to pull the pins out and use heat shrink tubing. Another way
    is to use a utility knife to slice off the block into connectors. You will
    loose the connectors holes in-between. Do this with the wires pins pulled
    out. Whatever you do, do not connect the bare pins to the motherboard as
    there is no clearance to say and a dead shout on the 5v LED pins will ruin
    the board possibly.

    By the way, I have kept many of these old pin connectors for fixing leads
    so it you become desperate for some, I can send you a sample set of 4 or 5
    connectors in hopes they fit. I am in Canada.

    But for quickest turnaround visit a shop, new or used, as they must have
    some left on something (old case speaker etc).

    How do you know which wire in the Presario block is the LED light, HDD
    light, reset, power on? Be careful, if you connect the reset or power on to
    the LED pins, you short the +5v and blow the board potentially.

    You will find LED connectors but I doubt they would physically fit in the
    Presario case as they are proprietary. You could just cut the wires and
    splice in the case wires to standard wires connectors.

    Food for thought, hope it helps.

    rcm, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Tom Young

    Ed_ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Hi all:
    >
    >I'm upgrading the motherboard in my Compaq Presario computer and I've
    >run into a slight problem. The Compaq uses some sort of proprietary
    >large "block" connector to attach the front panel pieces - power led,
    >disk drive led and on/off switch - to the motherboard. Naturally, the
    >connecting pins on the new motherboard don't line up with the wires on
    >the "block" connector. So, I've got to get a more standard set of
    >these connectors to finish up the conversion.
    >
    >I'd like to get these preassembled, i.e., plug to motherboard already
    >wired to led or switch, but I'm not finding any online vendor that
    >carries these items. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?
    >
    >Too, the current "power on" led has *three* wires coming out the back
    >instead of only two wires like I'm used to. I'm guessing this is a
    >led with 2 colors, with the second color perhaps indicating a "sleep"
    >mode? Can anybody confirm this? (Since my computer never sleeps I've
    >never seen any other color than the normal green light.)
    >
    >TIA.
    >
    >Tom Young

    OK, I am the proud owner of a Compaq 7ap195 which has a similiar connector for
    the front panel. I have no idea why you would be trying to salvage this useless
    case. The front bezel on my case was designed to bust knuckles and drive one
    to alcholol addiction. Whoever designed it should be sent to Iraq with a George
    Bush mask glued on to his face. Not to mention that the PS is prolly outdated
    and undermanned and the air flow is bad, you can't add a front fan without major
    surgery and the hard drive cage design is just plain non-functional if you plan
    to add an extra drive.

    I have just the opposite problem because I picked up a case from Newegg a month
    ago ($30.00 and far nicer to look at and work with and much better quality) that
    I'm planning on moving the mobo and processor et al from the Compaq to in a few
    weeks.

    There are just far too many benefits to new cases today, even the cheaper ones,
    that outweigh the pain of trying to make an outdated and poorly designed case
    functional with any upgrades.

    Just my opinion and I'm no expert so take it for what it costs.

    Ed

    Ed_, Aug 1, 2003
  4. Tom Young

    Tom Young Guest

    "rcm" <> wrote in message news:<KjwWa.606661$>...

    > How do you know which wire in the Presario block is the LED light, HDD
    > light, reset, power on? Be careful, if you connect the reset or power on to
    > the LED pins, you short the +5v and blow the board potentially.

    The Presario only has 3 "things" at the front of the case: a HDD led
    (2 wires), a Power On led (3 wires) and the power switch (2 wires).
    Since all 7 wires are different colors it's easy to see which wire
    goes where. The new motherboard is well-documented as to which pins
    perform what function, so all I need now is someway to make the
    connection.

    > You will find LED connectors but I doubt they would physically fit in the
    > Presario case as they are proprietary. You could just cut the wires and
    > splice in the case wires to standard wires connectors.

    I may end up doing just that.

    Thanks!

    Tom Young, Aug 2, 2003