    I want to keep the same names for the bookmarks, but change the location. I
    tried removing the old bookmark and adding a new one, but "add" is greyed
    out. Suggestions? Thanks!

    Guest, Feb 21, 2006

    Jay Freedman Guest

    faisan10 wrote:
    > In my Word document, I had prior bookmarks. I have edited the
    > document, and I want to keep the same names for the bookmarks, but
    > change the location. I tried removing the old bookmark and adding a
    > new one, but "add" is greyed out. Suggestions? Thanks!

    The Add button stays greyed out until you enter a valid bookmark name. The
    name must begin with a letter, and it can't contain any spaces or
    punctuation other than an underscore. So double-check what you're typing to
    make sure it's exactly the same as the old name.

    By the way, you don't have to delete the old bookmark first. If you select
    some different text and open the dialog, select some existing name from the
    list, and click Add, it will immediately relocate the bookmark to the new
    text. That will prevent typing errors.

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman

    Jay Freedman, Feb 21, 2006

    Thanks, Jay, but I believe my bookmark name is valid (i.e., I.0.1) It's too
    late to not delete some of the old bookmarks. It's a 125-page document that
    has been edited and pasted and is pretty much a mess as far as the bookmarks
    go. They have been pasted over. The hyperlinks point to the wrong places. I
    get messages "The bookmark name is not valid." I try to make new bookmarks,
    and if the bookmark isn't already there, it doesn't give me an option to save
    the new name. The "add" button is greyed out.

    Thanks for your help.

    Joan

    Guest, Feb 22, 2006

    Tony Jollans Guest

    I.0.1 is not a valid bookmark name. It rather sounds like your document is
    in a mess! Is it possible that you have, in the past, used some AddIn that
    provides extra bookmark functionality? Some sort of front end that allows
    bookmark names that Word doesn't and then translates them behind the scenes,
    perhaps?

    --
    Enjoy,
    Tony

    Tony Jollans, Feb 22, 2006

    OK, I got the answer from a techie friend. You're right: I.0.1 is no longer
    a valid name, although it was when the document was created. I have gone
    through and corrected them to "I01", etc.

    Thanks. :)

    Joan

    Guest, Feb 22, 2006