When electricity goes off suddenly does it damage my windows XP installation?

Jim Macklin

Could be, I don't follow "stars" personal life. I just pay
attention to the work they do. How do YOU know she walks
around looking for semen or is a nutter?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
And no, she is not paid to do it. She is a nutter.

http://www.uscricket.com
Jim Macklin said:
Are you talking CSI (any version)?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Remember that cute little blonde carries around an UV lamp
to look for seman stains whereever she goes.She's a nutty,
little, but still cute, blonde.

http://www.uscricket.com
Jim Macklin said:
Here in Kansas, watching the reports of the radar,
showing
where the tornadoes are (as I said before) is very nice.
Since tornadoes have a tendency to damage the power
lines,
some few minutes of independent power is nice.

BTW, my TV watching is pretty limited, I never watch
Jerry
Springer, Oprah or those other shows of similar type. I
do
watch Buffy, but that is just because I have a "thing"
for
cute little blondes. But if there was a tornado and
Buffy
was on, I would watch the live weather reports.

BTW, in Kansas a lot of people buy a generator so that
they
can power the freezer and fridge and maybe even keep a
few
lights working after the storms have knocked down a few
hundred miles of wire. I hear they do the same near the
Gulf Coast after hurricanes, since hurricanes are more
common and cover a big area, that sounds like a good
idea.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You are pretty sad if you have a UPS on your TV. We can't
risk missing Jerry Springer now, can we?

http://www.uscricket.com
"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
If you read these newsgroups very much, you'll see a
number
of questions about computers that won't boot and they
all
say something about "since" some power failure, storm or
power issue. A UPS is not a replacement for the
company,
they only allow for a few minutes of power for the
computer
and monitor.

I have two computers and a TV, each has a UPS connected.
In
the past year, I have been able to watch the news
reports
about tornadoes, while the power was out due to power
lines
being down, once after a car struck a power pole a mile
from
our place, and I have had the lights flicker on/off
several
times and yet the computer and TV continued to operate
without any problem.

But, it is just a scam.

|> Damage to the computer, either hardware or data
corruption
| > is why they sell UPS battery systems.
|
| I thought they sold them the same way they sell
insurance -- fear,
| uncertainty, dread. People tell themselves, better
safe
than
| sorry, right? Even if there is no danger, they can be
manipulated
| into buying something they don't really need, if it
makes
them
| feel more secure.

Dev

If suffering repeated circuit breaker tripping, then you
have a serioius human safety problem. The circuit breakers
are, essentially, telling you to seek professional
assistance. Jim Macklin has best explained this elsewhere in
this discussion.

Hi,

Yes we know their is some kind of a problem, and we're going to get it
professionally checked out, however.

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

Thats depressing news!! So that means that anybody who sufferes a power
outage can severely damage their computer as well. I didn't realise this.

The physical damage to the PC is not so much the cutting of power, but
the rough resumption of power. So I advise setting CMOS Settings to
keep the PC "off" rather than "last state" when power resumes.

HDs are supposed to span thier heads in, like a turtle, when power is
cut. But when power sags, the heads may stay in place even though the
spindle slows enough for them to pinch though the reduced air cushion
and touch the disk. So HDs are not as safe as one poster assumed.

It's when power is re-applied, that the fun starts. Typically, the
neighborhood may have tripped the mains through overload, and when
power is re-applied, there are the same number of stoves etc. left on
to pull hard on whatever power's offered - which can trip it again.

So the first few minutes (or seconds) may involve a lot of false
starts, spikes, brownouts etc. and that can blow up the PC's PSU (if
you are locky) or hurt more valuable parts within (if you are not).
Regards the power tripping, it trips only when the main oven is turned on
and we have the power turned up to a high level.

Well, don't do that then ;-)

The other aspect is that any bad exit is likely to corrupt your file
system and lose data. XP will hide this from you, because it will run
AutoChk on a "kill, bury, deny" basis - any damaged files are
arbitrarily broken to some assumed size or deleted, so everything
looks OK and the file system is once again safe to write to.

But even if AutoChk fakes you into thinking no harm is done, files ARE
lost or truncated, and one day this blows up into an "inexplicable"
problem, to which the usual duh answer is "just re-install Windows".

---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
"He's such a character!"
' Yeah - CHAR(0) '

David Candy

There is an MVP's wife who buys magazines devoted to celebs. She told and showed me. Sarah is a nutter.
http://www.uscricket.com

Jim Macklin said:
[...]

in message If you read these newsgroups very much, you'll see a
number
of questions about computers that won't boot and they
all
say something about "since" some power failure, storm or
power issue. A UPS is not a replacement for the
company,
they only allow for a few minutes of power for the
computer
and monitor.

I have two computers and a TV, each has a UPS connected.
In
the past year, I have been able to watch the news
reports
about tornadoes, while the power was out due to power
lines
being down, once after a car struck a power pole a mile
from
our place, and I have had the lights flicker on/off
several
times and yet the computer and TV continued to operate
without any problem.

But, it is just a scam.

|> Damage to the computer, either hardware or data
corruption
| > is why they sell UPS battery systems.
|
| I thought they sold them the same way they sell
insurance -- fear,
| uncertainty, dread. People tell themselves, better
safe
than
| sorry, right? Even if there is no danger, they can be
manipulated
| into buying something they don't really need, if it
makes
them
| feel more secure.

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

"Bob I" <[email protected]> wrote in message
It only tends to happen once or twice a week, and it happened alot over Xmas
due to the unusually large amount of cooking.

That's too often for comfort; I'd fix up your wiring.
I used to have to turn the power on and off alot on my old Pentium 2 with
Windows 98SE when the blue screen of death constantly became a feature

Ever wondered *why* you were getting BSoDs? Either spikes or dips, or
hardware damage such as bad RAM, come to mind there.
It didn't destroy that computer. And I was turning it on and
off by the power at least once or twice a day.

It's not an SOP I'd live with, myself. Put it this way; I don't think
I'd lend you my computer ;-)

---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Proverbs Unscrolled #37
"Build it and they will come and break it"

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

In Al Smith <[email protected]> typed:
If you say you've never had such a problem, I believe you. But
the point I was trying to make is that you are a single person
out of millions of computers users. There is a real risk, and a
significant number of people *have* experienced such a problem.

Looking at it from the other end of the tube; I get to see a lot of
PCs with bad HDs (I do data recovery as well general PC tech) and bad
PSUs, and in a significant number of cases, there's a mains
misadventure in the history. Sometimes two or three sick PCs come in
after a single bad power event (e.g. an outage).

For most of us, HD failure is the worst thing that can happen to our
PCs. Generally, a 5-year life of a PC can be expected to see one such
HD melt-down, but in practice I see some 3-year-old PCs on their 2nd
or 3rd HD, and somtimes a 10-year-old PC still on its original HD.

When I look at the PCs with frequent HD failures, I often find a
"flaky power" factor. Sometimes it's within the case; hobbyists who
didn't know ATX "off" isn't, or who hot-swap IDE HDs in brackets.
Sometimes it's the location, such as Scarborough, or spiky generators.

--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Tech Support: The guys who follow the
'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.

Leythos

I thought they sold them the same way they sell insurance -- fear,
uncertainty, dread. People tell themselves, better safe than
sorry, right? Even if there is no danger, they can be manipulated
into buying something they don't really need, if it makes them
feel more secure.

We installed more than 800 desktop computer UPS size units in out
clients offices and have seen more than a 30% reduction in calls since
doing that one preventative measure.

Jone Doe

If you are rich enough to buy a new TV when it fails due to a spike (up or
down in power) then do as you please.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You are pretty sad if you have a UPS on your TV. We can't risk missing Jerry
Springer now, can we?

Steve N.

cquirke said:
[...]

Thank you for expounding more fully on this issue, cquirke. You're
correct, I was not thinking of the problems that re-applying power and
the other things you address may cause, but only the sudden and complete
loss of power.

My excuse; new baby in the house = lack of sleep.

Steve

Steve N.

Dev said:
Hi Steve

You seem a technical whiz, well if it is possible just to say that its
nothing permanent thats damaged then it is
no problem, if the worst comes to the worst I can always do a XP reinstall.

Thanks again. :) and Happy New Year

Thanks. I've been working in technology for longer than I can remember
but I certainly don't know or consider everything and welcome
corrections so that I can learn.

As others have pointed out there is possibly more to the issue than
simply the sudden loss of power to consider, which is all I was
addressing. I still recommend a UPS and examining your wiring situation
or at the very least get the computer on a seperate circuit from the
kitchen.

Happy New Year to you as well Dev!

Steve

Al Smith

If you read these newsgroups very much, you'll see a number
of questions about computers that won't boot and they all
say something about "since" some power failure, storm or
power issue. A UPS is not a replacement for the company,
they only allow for a few minutes of power for the computer
and monitor.

Power issues that you refer to, and loss of power, aren't the same
thing. I've had power issues with my computer also. Lightning
struck near my house and exploded a transistor on my modem, which
was hooked up to the phone line. I had to buy a new modem. My
point was that I've never had any problem as the result of the
electrical power cutting out.

Al Smith

There is an MVP's wife who buys magazines devoted to celebs. She told and showed me. Sarah is a nutter.

Yeah, the National Inquirer is never wrong about these things.

w_tom

1) Cquirke describes a problem directly traceable to the
defective power supply - not due to unexpected power loss or
'destructive power restoration. All power supplies must work
just fine and must never be damaged by a brownout. Slowly
applied power is not bad for power supplies. In fact,
supplies include an internal circuit to slow the power up.
When power up causes power supply damage, then look first to
the human who got a great deal (saved money) on that power
supply. A supply that is more often missing essential parts
is reason for power supply failure on power restoration.

Will a failed power supply cause disk drive or other
hardware failures? Maybe if that same defective human bought
the power supply. But power supply failures must never damage
any hardware in any computer as was standard even 30 years ago
and made necessary if the power supply is to meet Intel
standards. Power supply failure must never damage any other
part of the computer. That assumes a computer guy (who first
demands numerical specifications) - not a bean counter -
purchased that supply.

If brownouts cause hardware failure, then find the reason
for that failure - the bean counting human. In fact we
routinely test new electronic designs at extremely low voltage
to confirm they work fine or remain off. Computers prefer
slow power restoration. Damage from power restoration is
mostly urban myth. In fact damage often blamed on power
restoration may have actually occured just before power is
lost. This makes urban myths about power restoration so easy
to promote.

2) Welcome to the redundancy provided by NTFS. Unlike FAT,
an NTFS filesystem does not have "any damaged files are
arbitrarily broken to some assumed size or deleted". Any file
arbitrarily broken (not properly stored on hard drive) is
deleted. Filesystem resorts back to the last known good copy
of that file. FAT has no such abilities with is why FAT
filesystems might put data at risk during a power loss.

Obviously this can be a problem for data bases that require
synchronized files. Therefore such data bases also have
recovery software to resynchronize files lost due to
unexpected power loss. But again, NTFS leaves that recovery
software with a good file to begin the recovery process.

3) Does a disk drive contain enough power so that drive goes
to a known good and safe power down state? Of course. Disk
drives have always been designed to respond completely safe to
unexpected power outages - as was the case even in the late
1960s even when hardware was large 20 pound 'voice coils' that
required massive power. Even with those massive power
requirements, all disk drives went fully save on any power
loss. Today's disk drives do same safe shutdown on trivial
power. Any drive that does not include this 'safe shutdown'
feature belongs with those power supplies that are damaged by
a power restoration. Defective hardware in a pile labeled
with the name of the person responsible for buying crap.

Unexpected power loss and power restoration must never
damage hardware. But that means the human must buy minimally
acceptable hardware. In a world where eyes of so many
computer assemblers glaze over with numerical specifications,
then the failure is directly traceable to that 'bean counting'
computer assembler.

w_tom

How does a relay (that takes milliseconds to respond)
protect a TV from a spike (that is destructive and gone in
microseconds)? These small questions created by numbers.
Numbers that the UPS manufacturer forgets to mention so that
you 'wish' it provides spike protection. But then 'wish' as
you please.

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:56:14 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
Could be, I don't follow "stars" personal life. I just pay
attention to the work they do. How do YOU know she walks
around looking for semen or is a nutter?

No way is she a nutter; that's an insult to my favorite character in
my favourite reality TV show.

cquirke (MVP Win9x)

1) Cquirke describes a problem directly traceable to the
defective power supply - not due to unexpected power loss or
'destructive power restoration. All power supplies must work
just fine and must never be damaged by a brownout.

All utility companies must never brownout, surge or cause power
outages. Everything always works as expected. Riiight.
Slowly applied power is not bad for power supplies.

It's not so much a matter of "slowly applied", it's stutter, spikes
and sags. Mind you, the only definition of "slowly applied" would be
a slow fade from blackout through brown to full power.

Some PSUs are "universal", i.e. auto-detect and handle 115V or 220V AC
input (where I live, power is 220V AC). Others are set for the local
mains voltage. Either way, the expect power to be of a certain level,
and don't like exceptions - but having said that, I find even "normal"
PSUs are surprisingly tolerant of bad power, e.g. visible dipping of
light brightness, etc.

Then again, there's a limit to what they can take; one day here, the
lights in the room suddenly got brighter and my PC immediately reset.
In the next 2 days, I had three PCs in for fixing, that dated their
problems from this moment; one with a popped PSU.
supplies include an internal circuit to slow the power up.

"Power Good"; yep. Really cheap PSUs have been known to simply wire
that to the +5V DC output ;-)
Will a failed power supply cause disk drive or other
hardware failures? Maybe if that same defective human bought
the power supply. But power supply failures must never damage
any hardware in any computer as was standard even 30 years ago

Having said that, I've seen a common and nasty failure pattern with
some ATX PSUs. Typically, they fail with a loud BANG when plugged in
or switched on (ATX "power" switch). The PC won't power up, and if
you shake it, you will hear a rattle. Open up the PSU, and you will
see a loose empty shell of a blown electrolytic cap, as well as loose
bits of dull aluminium foil from inside.

You will then typically find that mobo/CPU, RAM and HD are stone dead,
and that the CD-ROM will fail within a week.

What has happened, is that the PSU spiked the +12V line when it died,
and this fried most things that were connected to it.

Blowing up when ATX "on" is an interesting failure pattern in itself.
I suspect what is happening here, is that the standby current when the
ATX is "off" warms up the circuitry (given that the fan is off during
this time). Then when turned "on", the extra load goes pop!

I've seen PSUs that get warm (as in, the back of the case gets warm)
when plugged in but "switched (ATX) off". When running, they cool
down. These are often the same PSUs that go postal on the +12V

I'm seeing a LOT more PSU failures post-ATX than pre-ATX. In fact,
before Intel's bulky Pentium II necessitated case redesign dressed up
as a new (ATX) standard, the issue of bad PSUs killing other hardware
was theoretical only, in my own experience (building PCs pro since
1995, and for fun before that going back to 1988).
That assumes a computer guy (who first demands numerical
specifications) - not a bean counter - purchased that supply.

Most of us builders get whatever PSU came with the case, and most end
users get whatever PSU came with the PC. Guess the rest :p

The bad series of PSUs I referred to didn't come in the cheapest
available cases, BTW.
Damage from power restoration is mostly urban myth. In
fact damage often blamed on power restoration may have
actually occured just before power is lost.

Sure; and that's the only "urban myth" mileage I'm going to let you
get away with <g> Hard to tell whether a spike at the time the power
failed (likely causing the power to fail) is what did the damage, or
rough power on re-entry.

Would you strobe your mains power to your own PC (i.e. switch the
mains on and off really quickly, or plug in the mains lead gradually
so you can enjoy the sputtering noises and sparky smell)?
2) Welcome to the redundancy provided by NTFS. Unlike FAT,
an NTFS filesystem does not have "any damaged files are
arbitrarily broken to some assumed size or deleted". Any file
arbitrarily broken (not properly stored on hard drive) is deleted.

Oh, that's a BIG improvament! So instead of having a truncated file,
I have no file at all. Gee, thanks.
Filesystem resorts back to the last known good copy
of that file. FAT has no such abilities with is why FAT
filesystems might put data at risk during a power loss.

Power loss, by interrupting file operations, is inevitably going to
lose or corrupt data. Even if your file system was utterly brilliant,
there still might be unsaved or unflushed data in RAM that will be
gone forever. So power outages are to be avoided.

Don't confuse a sane file system (which reduces OS support calls) with
preserved data. Even MS doesn't pretend NTFS preserves data.
3) Any drive that does not include this 'safe shutdown'
feature belongs with those power supplies that are damaged by
a power restoration. Defective hardware in a pile labeled
with the name of the person responsible for buying crap.

Oh, give it up, will ya? Don't ever think that because something's
designed to work in some way, that it actually will.

There aren't many bad HD vendors around these days, in fact it's an
industry that's had quite a shake-out, and we seldom see new entrants
anymore. Over the years, there have been some sucky vendors (JTS,
anyone?) but what one does find, is that if you sell more than 100 of
any vendor's HDs, and wait a few years, you will see some fail.

I have piles of failed HDs, and they aren't all JTS. There are
Fujitsus, WDs, IBMs, Seagates, Quantums, Maxtors - the lot. Many have
"just one bad sector"; many are stone dead, and several are between
these extremes. Some are full of bad sectors and latency, being the
same pattern as "just one bad sector" a bit further on, while others
work fine but take 3 or 4 power-ons before they spin up, etc.

From what I've seen, I stand by my advice to set CMOS so that the PC
stays "off" after a power outage. It's SOP on the PCs I build.

--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
I *am* a power user!
I have electricity bills to prove it!

w_tom

All power supplies work as designed and without damage
when power even brownouts or blackouts. Even stuttering power
never causes power supply nor computer damage - if equipment
is properly constructed. And no, the Power Good signal even
on the original IBM PC power supply was not tied to +5 volts.
If Power Good signal in your machine is designed that way,
then you - not the power stutter - would be reason for
hardware damage.

BTW when I said
supplies include an internal circuit to slow the power up.
that obviously was not a reference to the Power Good circuit.
You apparently don't even know about that other circuit.
Power Good has no relationship to how a power supply slowly
powers up. Power Good responds much later and long after that
slow power up. This is a circuit that was even found in 1950s
TV. You have confused a technology that old with the Power
Good circuit. As a computer assembler, you should know what
this circuit is AND know the difference between this circuit
and Power Good.

And again, even the original IBM PC did not implement the
Power Good signal as you have described. Any power supply
designed with Power Good tied to +5 volts is a classic example
of inferior and unacceptable power supply sold by computer
assemblers to Americans. Just more examples of basic power
supply functions not understood by computer assemblers who
misrepresent themselves as computer experts.

Lets see. In one example, the +12 volts spiked. A loud
band and blown electrolytic capacitor. Damage to motherboard
etc only possible when the power supply is purchased using
bean counter principles. All minimally acceptable power
supplies even 30 years ago included over voltage protection
that makes damage from excess voltage spikes not possible.
Long understood by those with fundamental power supply
knowledge. If that internally exploding power supply caused
motherboard damage, then the failure is directly traceable to
a human who bought that 'defective by design' power supply. I
am rather surprised you did not even know this long, well
understood, and necessary requirement dating back to more than
30 years ago.

Yes there are limits to what even power supplies can
withstand. Effective 'whole house' protector must be
installed at a service entrance so that internal power supply
protection will not be overwhelmed. Power supplies must
withstand up to 600 volts without damage even according to
minimal industry specs. Intel specs say up to 1000 or 2000
volts in some cases. You tell me from where all this routine
damage is coming. You are providing examples that could only
exist when the human does not have basic technical knowledge -
better known as a bean counter.

Most builders who get whatever PSU comes with the case are
the problem. Asia power supply manufacturers have found a
lucrative market dumping inferior power supplies into North
America. Profitable because so many computer assemblers will
use whatever comes in the case. At a minimum, that is
shameful. More to the point, that is the problem with most
computer assemblers. They have no basic electrical knowledge
and they will blame anything but themselves for the failure.
No wonder mythical surges are so often blamed for damage.

Again, any power supply failure that causes motherboard,
disk drive, or RAM failure is a problem directly traceable the
the naive computer assembler. No power supply failure may
damage those other computer parts. But Asian manufacturers
have discovered ripe technical naivety. They can increase
profits because so many American computer assemblers don't
even have basic technical knowledge.

Here is where it gets interesting. You are going to tell me
how disk drives and NTFS work? You don't even understand
simpler functions found in a power supply. Sorry. You have a
serious credibility gap.

In the meantime, NTFS eliminates a potential file erasure
problem found with FATxx filesystems. And disk drives
properly shutdown when power is lost - without destroying data
on disk platter. All power down to a disk drive is
unexpected. Disk drives see loss of voltage and shutdown
safely as they did even in the 1960s - when the disk drive
even moved heads using motor oil. Just a small hint as to how
extensive my experience and why have have so little respect
for computer assemblers who don't have basic electrical
knowledge.