What new technologies are in the pipeline for broadband?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone know what sort of new technologies we could be seeing on broadband lines in the coming 5/10 years? I'm aware of G.Fast and Fibre to the remote node, but that's about it.

It looks like fibre broadband speeds are improving rapidly for people close to BT cabinets, but the gap is widening enormously against people in rural areas or 1km+ from cabinets.

I'd be really interested to know what we have to look forward to in the coming years, if anyone is aware of new tech in the pipeline.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I guess the end game is FTTP, but I wouldn't put money on when.

G.fast is a bit hit and miss, and as you say if you're line isn't 500m or less you will probably not see much benefit.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
The three big operators here are into hybrid fibre coaxial. Because they used to be — and still are — cable TV operators as well. The current buzzword is DOCSIS 3.1 with (currently 1000 in / 100 out, tenfold in the near future, operators say). That said, the big story here is mobile broadband — preparing the shift from 4G to 5G. The first (commercial) 1 Gb/s base stations are up and running (600 Mb/s seems to be what most base station upgrades are today, though). And that is supposed to be just the beginning.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess the end game is FTTP, but I wouldn't put money on when.

G.fast is a bit hit and miss, and as you say if you're line isn't 500m or less you will probably not see much benefit.

That's my worry... that people with good connections will be able to see improvements in the next 5 years, but the marginal/rural cases won't see any advancements. I'd pay good money to get FTTP here, if that was an option.

The three big operators here are into hybrid fibre coaxial. Because they used to be — and still are — cable TV operators as well. The current buzzword is DOCSIS 3.1 with (currently 1000 in / 100 out, tenfold in the near future, operators say). That said, the big story here is mobile broadband — preparing the shift from 4G to 5G. The first (commercial) 1 Gb/s base stations are up and running (600 Mb/s seems to be what most base station upgrades are today, though). And that is supposed to be just the beginning.

What do most people use for their residential broadband (netflix streaming, etc...) - is 4G/5G the primary way most users get online? It seems like a good idea to do it all wirelessly, given the limitations of copper wire and lack of fibre-optic infrastructure.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
What do most people use for their residential broadband (netflix streaming, etc...) - is 4G/5G the primary way most users get online? It seems like a good idea to do it all wirelessly, given the limitations of copper wire and lack of fibre-optic infrastructure.

That is a good question. Despite the fact that the mobile data use has skyrocketed (the average person in Finland used about 20 gigabytes (GB) of mobile data in December 2017, a dramatic rise from the 2016 average of 11 gigabytes per month), the number of fixed-line broadband subscriptions hasn't decreased. However, FTTB subscriptions are up, and, rather unsurprisingly, copper is going away.

The happenstances in rural areas ("Finnish rural" is where more bears than humans are born, just so you know) may be of interest. There is a 99-point-something per cent 4G coverage nowadays. As in "over 99 % of the population lives in areas with 4G coverage". Which is a) true, and b) fantastic. Except that there is a wee caveat when it comes to "Finnish rural" areas (areas outside the tiniest of villages, that is.) It is the frequency used.

In order to save money, only the 800 MHz frequency range is used. That enables larger cell size than 1800 MHz and 2600 MHz frequency ranges used in more urban settings. The caveat? Current max speed is 75 Mb/s (200 Mb/s with added 700 MHz range, using carrier aggregation, in not-so-distant-future. Maybe.) But the most sensible "rural mobile subscription" would thus be a 50 Mb/s connection for a tad under 20 €/month. Or a 100 Mb/s connection for a couple of euros more.

In an unrelated development, the government decided years ago that fast and reliable internet connections are a priority. Even in rural areas. So, 22,000 (and increasing) km of "subsidized" optic cable has been laid. Consumer prizes vary, but HERE is one (rather typical) example from SE Finland:

Joining fee: 1990 €
100/100 connection 29.90 €/month (+ opening fee 100,-)
1000/100 connection 29.90 €/month (+ opening fee 100,-)
1000/1000 connection 29.90 €/month (+ opening fee 100,-)

More than enough info:
https://www.viestintavirasto.fi/en/statisticsandreports/statistics.html

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be very happy with a 50Mb/s 4G connection, if the prices were in that range here - as long as pings weren't horrific (I can't imagine they'd be that bad).

The cheapest I can find is 30GB for £24/month, but that's nowhere near enough for my use. Not bad for the "casual" user though I suppose :).

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
... as long as pings weren't horrific (I can't imagine they'd be that bad).

4G pings? Looky here:

7398772093.png

Ask a Question