What are you listening to?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Automatic For The People.........R.E.M

Everybody Hurts.... what a track, again you seem to hear so much more accoustically with a very good quality set of headphones on.
The Corrs did a great cover version of this track and was all acoustic, briiliant. :thumb:

Check it out you may just like it. I have the DVD of the MTV Unplugged and it really has some very fine accoustic music.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks Quad i'l have to keep my eyes open for that particular track by the Corrs.

Quad why is it the quality is so good using headphones, mind you i did pay £64:eek: for my top quality pioneers recommended by the staff at a proper Bang & Olufsen Hi Fi store.

I like Crystal sound you see, so no compromise......

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Thanks Quad i'l have to keep my eyes open for that particular track by the Corrs.

Quad why is it the quality is so good using headphones, mind you i did pay £64:eek: for my top quality pioneers recommended by the staff at a proper Bang & Olufsen Hi Fi store.

I like Crystal sound you see, so no compromise......
The room can influence the sound more than any other component in the entire hifi chain. Your speakers may sound wonderful in one room (acoustically good) and may sound horrible in another. In the room you have stuff which reflects sound and also absorbs sound which in turn can alter the sound waves before they reach you (in your listening position).

The headphones on the other hand are free from all those influences, hence you get to hear a much better uniform sound from your source. When you put on your headphones you also tend to concentrate more on just the sound from your headphones as all the other sounds usually are not going to distract you which your brain usually filters (when listening in the room).

I am sorry if it sounds like a sermon but I have tried to explain in fewer words as possible without trying to go overboard or being technical.

I would be happy to discuss any accoustic issues with you if you like.

I use the Sennheiser 580 Precision Headphones which are a really very good sounding unit.

If you get to hear the Corrs doing Everybody Hurts, do let me know what you think of their version. The original version by REM however is a classic in its own right.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh wicked thanks for that quad, i knew some of the stuff, headphones being closer to your ears so no filtering etc, but i'm sure others will have wanted a more detailed explanation.

You have done an excellent job of that though without being too technical.

I had looked at some sennheissers when i was in Bang &Olufsen but settled on the pioneers in the end, they were so comfortable........

Yes i will let you know if i get to listen to that track by the corrs......

As for the discussion accoustically, i think your probably way over my head on that one...:p

Thanks......

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On headphones, I have a pair of Philips SBC3396 and also a pair of Studio Pro-Luxe PC 921's, which don't sound as good as the Philips but cost more.:confused:

I was actually given both sets from a guy working in a TV studio when I was doing some work for him about 5 years ago. He had a surplus of headsets and must have felt generous.

They're OK, but I may upgrade, not sure.

I did have a pair of Koss Pro 4AA's for years, but they literally fell apart :(

And I just listened to the Americana album by The Offspring. I still like that :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Bread - Everything I Own

Nostalgic to say the least.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I still like that song :)

Reminds me of my first wife. Dang :eek:
Flops you may or may not know this but David Gates wrote that song in memory of his father when he passed away.

Now listening to ............... Killing me softly - Roberta Flack

Reaction score
right now im listning to Duality by Slipknot form the from album vol.3 subliminal verses. :D

mostly listen to punk,rock,ska.

also have some frank sinatras back home.. ol blue eyes always makes me sleep a lot easier:) ..

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just listening to Roxette's album Touris'm......Circa 1992

Track 12: So Far Away is fantastic, all the songs are recorded from studio's, stages, hotelrooms and other strange places.

This song was recorded in a very humid Hotel room in Buenos Aires, it was turned into a very primitive 8 track recording facility for the completion of two songs.

No overdubs whatsoever were added to the live recordings, so what you hear is what you got in the first place.....:D

Question for Quad: how easy is it to turn a hotel room into an 8 track recording facility, is that an easy thing to do Quad or what....

A slightly bemused Crazylegs wondering how the hell they done that..:confused:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Question for Quad: how easy is it to turn a hotel room into an 8 track recording facility, is that an easy thing to do Quad or what....

A slightly bemused Crazylegs wondering how the hell they done that..:confused:
If it is a 3 star hotel somewhere in Japan my answer would be NO, but if it is a 3 star hotel room in the US where the batroom would be the size of a 3 star hotel room itself in Japan, my answer would be YES :D

It entirely depends on how much a person knows about the audio/recording process, some experience is surely necessary as it is not something you do casually. A well recorded album does not come easy, the percentage as you may know is very small, there are famous artists comeing out with mediocre recordings and yet you come across new artists who at times come out with an album with is considered audiophile quality. It entirely depends on the recording engineers skill.

RVG (Rudy Van Gelder) was one of the finest recording engieers in the business and his recordings sell by his name as well. You may or may not know that. Do a google search and you will find lots of information on him, I own few of this recordings and they truly a cut above.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
8 track recorder, 8 microphones, squeeze everybody into every available space, press 'record', set levels & EQ, cross fingers :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ha ha yeah sounds about right that one flopp's, that would be my explanation of how to do it but not in as much detail...ha ha...

In answer to you quad i don't know if you have heard that particular album but they may must of had a very skilled sound engineer, because it sounds superb....

Try to get hold of a copy and you have a listen and let me know what you think...

Right Quad just looked inside the cd booklet and it say's..Recorded live in room 603, Alvear palace hotel, Buenos Aires, Argentina, may 1992...Engineer Anders Herrlin....

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Listening to Scissor Sisters Album at the moment..I do like there version of Comfortably Numb....it's certainly creative....

Good Album though...;)

Anybody else out there heard it...

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Recently, I found Daniel Beddingfields "Gotta Get Thru This" album in my MP3 collection. I've never listened to it before, but it came up as one of the tracks in my Winamps random playlist. I really love this album now I listened to it, inparticular the tracks "Friday", and "I can't Read You".

At this moment in time though, I'm listening to Bodyrockers - "I like The Way"......Lovin' it!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Korn's Greatest Hits Volume One.

And yep, Scissor Sisters is a good album, imo :)

Ask a Question