What a strange NG!

J. Yazel

I have just logged on to this NG and it is full of hate and venom. Is this
usual for people who want free stuff or have I stumbled into a twilight
zone?

Nobby
=========================

Most of the newsgroups have a small core of people who spend most
of their time causing commotion.

In fact, most of the world does, too.

If you decide to leave the newsgroups, O.K. However, please don't
leave the world.

Jack

Mister Charlie

This place is a tea party compared to many other forums. The fact is
newsgroups are all like this to a degree. It sucks, but it's the price
one pays for wide open 'borders'.

Not an excuse, but you asked and are now getting an answer. I would
further suggest some of your responses border on trolling, being as they
clearly also display rudeness and anger.

Are you to chide everyone? Won't work. Are you to remind everyone?
Good job, it will stay in the collective mind another few seconds before
going back to being ignored.

it's just the way it is. Should it be better? Sure. Can it be better?
Maybe. But not by simply asking the question and then asking about
someone's trailer living arrangements. You see? You were 'attacked' so
you 'attack' back.

There's your answer.

Nobby

I am not angry at all. It was a simple enquiry as to his abode. My trailer
is sky blue with little fluffy bits on. How about yours?

A one line answer will do as it must take you ages to type with one finger.

Nobby

Thank you Jack I don't intend to do either but if you want to make God
laugh, tell him your plans.

Roger Johansson

Nobby said:
I'm not looking for excuses from anyone. I was simply commenting on the
angry tone of this NG.

You obviously have not been around usenet much. Most newsgroups are a
lot worse than this group, even right now when we are disturbed by a
crossposted thread from other newsgroups.

--
Roger J.

..in social life style is more important than issues of right and
wrong.. (try proving to a girl that she should marry you because you
were right about that and that and that.., or to a bunch of people that
they should like you, you will find that even if you talk and talk
forever it will not help, you will only be seen as argumentative)

Peter Gordon

I have just logged on to this NG and it is full of hate and venom.
Is this usual for people who want free stuff or have I stumbled
into a twilight zone?

Nobby

Nope, many of the folk in this newsgroup are extremely helpful.
Others take themselves too seriously.

Like all groups of people, it is a mixed bag. Just use your
kill file. At least it is not inhabited by people who change
their ID's regularly and set out to be a menace.

Cheers,

Peter Gordon

Mike P

I love spirited discussion and sometimes even a good old rant but
insults and swearing is the last resort of idiots.

A little bit of respect would be fine.

"LPV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
I've lurked in this NG for about 4 yrs.There are a group of regular
posters who in my opinion are the glue that keep this NG alive &
organized. But,overall
I find the people who post here to be a very knowlegeable,helpful group
of very talented,caring people from around the world. There have been
problems recently,but time heals all. So, if your looking for a free prog
to help solve a issue this is the group to ask. Many will volunteer there
advice from experience and are only responding in a helpful way. I agree
the is some "SPIRITED DISCUSSION" but it's all in the way you respond.

So chill out & watch some American preseason Football this weekend
especially the Phila Eagles.

Just my opinion,
Mike P.

mike ring

Excuse me. If this is a name you have given to yourself, then why did you
choose to be called "Nobby"? Is this a reference to an ambition, quality,
ability, appearance, talent, etc.?
"Nobby" is a nickname usually given (in English English!)to people with the
surname Clarke, also Clark.

I don't know why our troll adopts it

mike

jo

Roger said:
even right now when we are disturbed by a
crossposted thread from other newsgroups.

Which one? I use NFilter to keep out anything x-posted to 24hr helpdesk
or the XP troll group. :)

jo

Nobby said:
I am not angry at all. It was a simple enquiry as to his abode. My trailer
is sky blue with little fluffy bits on.

'Trailer' is not common UK parlance though, is it?

LOL

Roger Johansson

jo said:
Which one?

You mean from which newsgroup are they posting?
Who knows.
I use NFilter to keep out anything x-posted to 24hr helpdesk
or the XP troll group. :)

Maybe it would work better to filter out all messages which contain
certain words which no sensible person would use in a newsgroup message
but which they use very much.

jo

Roger said:
You mean from which newsgroup are they posting?
Who knows.

Oh. I thought you meant there was a disturbance from a x-posted group
which I am not seeing
Maybe it would work better to filter out all messages which contain
certain words which no sensible person would use in a newsgroup message
but which they use very much.

It has pleased me a bit to notice that Garrett has ceased his continual
references to his bottom.

I tried your newsreader once and disliked it enormously for reasons I
forget. If it has no subj filtering you should consider NFilter which is
a wonderful app:

For a very helpful doc. file,
http://web.archive.org/web/20021013015923/www.nfilter.org/faq.html

and for the executable,
http://web.archive.org/web/20020208054217/http://www.nfilter.org/120/np-120.exe

dszady

Nobby said:
I'm not looking for excuses from anyone. I was simply commenting on the
angry tone of this NG.

Just stick around for a while. This shall pass.
It really gets interesting later when we discuss nominations which will be
in a more conciliatory. And you get a chance to speak about your freeware
of expertise.

Mister Charlie

mike ring said:
"Nobby" is a nickname usually given (in English English!)to people with the
surname Clarke, also Clark.

I don't know why our troll adopts it
Exactly.

Usually the ones who suddenly appear to complain are doing no more than
trolling. Obviously based on the back and forth with this knob it's
clear that trolling was the only agenda on it's plate.

Al Smith

I have just logged on to this NG and it is full of hate and venom. Is
this

It never used to be like this.....

It was taken over by Orcs a while ago. They serve the Dark Lord,
but thusfar have been unable to locate the One Ring.

Dugie

Sweet Andy Licious said:
Y'get what you're looking for I guess, I only view this part time, but I
seem to stumble away with what I need...mostly. ;)

That's an excellent attitude and response, Andy - "Y'get what you're looking for".
The vast majority of postings here are professional, very positive and helpful, most people here are friendly and
knowledgeable ; it's my favourite group.

Some people have pegged Nobby correctly : a troller who's been somewhat successful, if responses are a measure of
success.

Thank you to the people, such as Susan Bugher, John Corliss, and others, who do such a good job of helping. It's
interesting that Susan and John haven't posted to this thread - they managed to do what I didn't resist : replying
to a troll.

- Dugie