Western Digital EXT HDD Catch 22 ?

Reaction score
A 320GB Western Digital External Hard Drive suddenly gave an error message "One of the USB Devices attached to this PC has malfunctioned and Windows Does not recognise it."
By elimination I have established the Drive is OK but the interface between the 12v power supply and Drive is faulty. I have a WD returns number but it says all data will be destroyed so you must remove your data before sending. Like How ? I have opened the case and connected the drive to the computer directly on an IDE cable and done this but in doing so have broken the paper seal Warranty Invalid if Broken. Where do I stand for a repair now ? Postage to Germany is over £24 non refundable.

Reaction score
tbh looks like your warranty is void

as soon as u break that seal its over

best thing i can suggest is u backing up all your data
and send it out to them

as soon as it gets out to them expect a phone call
from there worst case scenario is that they will most likely tell u your warranty is void becasue of the sel

to which i would suggest blaming them
or damage in the post

probably the best option
well my view anyway

good luck

Reaction score
I am afraid that you should have explained what you needed to do to be able to obtain your data? if you have a broken seal the warranty is void, unless they are sympathetic towards you.

What price did you pay origonally?

Reaction score
Two words

BE NICE!

If your really arguementative and obtuse they will surely will be back explain nicely and they maybe a little sympathetic ;)

Reaction score
Just looked up the price I paid. It was £132 and 6 months ago. I have emailed them and told them I had follwed their instructions and removed my data and explained how....yes ...I had thought of the "be nice" angle.

Reaction score
Were did you buy it from?
When i had a problem with my external wd drive i sorted it out through the shop i bought it from:thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why dont you phone them and explain that you have to send it back but your data is important and you need to remove the drive to get it off before you send it back. Ask if it is ok that you break the seal.

OR

Send it back, and when you get the phone call telling you the seal is broken, tell them you phoned their customer care number and explained everything to the person you spoke to and they said it was alright to do it as you needed the data. A little white lie, but be forceful that you were told it was alright to do it. :)

Reaction score
Nah, are you kidding?? These call centres have monkeys working in them dude. You could totally just be like "look, i spoke to someone from your company before i sent this back and they assured me it was alright to do that, how else could i have got my data off the drive??!" I think if you are confident enough you would be fine. Just act innocent and demand justice!! haha.

Reaction score
Watch out where you buy things from..

Yes I thought of returning it to the Supplier but found out that PIXMANIA is a french company based in Paris. Their returns policy is through the manufacturers. I should have bought it from DABS or MAPLINS and will check this carefully in future.
Thanks for the advice

Reaction score
Go and have a look at www.westerndigital.com and see if they can help you.
When i had a problem they got me to send it to partner of theirs in the UK, sadly i cant find the details of the address i sent it to, sorry:blush:

Ask a Question