Warranty Nightmare Western Digital - A Rant

Reaction score
I bought a Western Digital external HDD from a company called Pixmania.
After 3 months it packed in.
I then started reading the small print. Pixmania is in fact a Paris based company and a return to them seemed fairly laborious and costly and I was advised to send it straight to Western Digital which is in Germany.
Again the small print says you meet the cost of returning the item and this is non refundable.
The item was sent through ParcelFarce(sic) and cost £24 in June.
It never arrived at Western Digital and it seems that because I opened up the external caddy to connect to an IDE to remove the data the warranty is going to be invalid anyway. This is despite the fact that it says in the warranty remove all data before returning for repair (Catch 22 ?)
Now into August and it has not arrived and I have now put in claim into the Post Office who seem to start on the basis that you are putting in a fraudulent claim anyhow.
The aggravation, phone calls, photocopying, costs all because something failed within the warranty period......thanks for listening......!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That can't be much fun at all - did you sent it special delivery or just normal parcel force?

Reaction score
I think Special Delivery, International Signed for on 2Kgs was about £40 so no I sent it just proof of posting.

Reaction score
I only buy from UK based companies in case there are problems it's easier to deal with them.
If i send things back it always goes back via registered & insured post.
That way the company concerned must sign for it.:thumb:

Reaction score
Yes thats my usual practice too. I had no idea that Pixmania was a French Co. I usually use DABS (just down the road). I still think Western Digital (Europe i.e Germany) should refund the cost of sending it if it is found to be faulty.

I also keep the following clip ready for pasting in correspondence to retailers.

Your rights when things go wrong.
If you buy goods from a trader and they are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or don't match their description, the trader will probably have to put things right. It is the trader who is responsible for this, and not the manufacturer. If a trader tells you the manufacturer is responsible, or that you have to make a claim on a manufacturers' guarantee, you do not have to accept this.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Twenty four quid seems a bit steep.

I've had several rma's with Western Digital and have never had a problem, usually a week turnaround.

And I don't recall having to send them back to Germany. I've sent hard disks back to Holland, which only cost as much as UK postage, but can't remember which make that was.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Twenty four quid seems a bit steep.

I've had several rma's with Western Digital and have never had a problem, usually a week turnaround.

And I don't recall having to send them back to Germany. I've sent hard disks back to Holland, which only cost as much as UK postage, but can't remember which make that was.

It is like the Spanish Inquisition at the Post Office Counter. All prices up to the magical 2KG are reasonable once you exceed that loads of options are closed and up goes the price.This was surface mail so called tracked before it was lost.
Even with the data removed it was 2.205Kg (Ha Ha)
Once you enter all the details on the Western Digital Web Page your RMA is automated. 3 printed labels to where they want it.
The good news is if ParcelForce don't find it they will offer compo of the value up to £150 less depreciation. As the warranty is now invalid lets hope it is gone for good

Ask a Question