Web Servers

Reaction score
Hi all!

This might be an extremley thick question but here goes: if I buy a web server, can I point people externally to it?

Expanding on that question, what I need to achieve is to have a very large storage space for my company to store all types of media on it, and also provide access for our customers to logon and retrieve some of this media with restrictions.

Hope that makes sense and hope you guys can help!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can do, but you'll need lots of setting up to allow that (plus a fast connection). Depending on if you use Windows or Linux there are lots of webserver packages that allow you to set up external access to files, and you can use scripting or permissions setting to restrict file types.

Security is a big problem, so if you do buy one in make sure you get it set up properly by someone that knows the operating system inside out. :)

Reaction score
thanks ian!

we have some technicians here that can set it all up, i just wanted to ask on here before i make a fool of myself in front of them!
;)

Reaction score
ok, now i've gotta consider the size of this web server - considering all the media PLUS i will be storing our website content on here too, I'm just really after what everyone reckons a generall size of a website that contains the following features:

online shop catalogue (6000+ products)
news feeds
videos
all the other usual bits like dynamic forms etc

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
500MB will easy do for the shop and website feature (prob much less), but you need to be a little more specific about what sort of (and quantity) of your media/videos to estimate your needs.

Ask a Question