web cam image freezes

dun

Reaction score
Hi ................can some kind person help me out please, I bought a new web cam , installed it and was dissapointed to find that after a few seconds the image freezes up and I have to unplug it before it works again (for another few seconds before freezing up again) I have re-installed it , same problem ,,,,,,, dont know what to do . I`m running a laptop with windows xp , all the requirements for the cam are well covered by my system , I installed it on my sisters pc and theres no prob ,,,, my nefews pc and again no prob ,,,,please help!
regards
Dun

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This sounds like underpowered USB ... if so, get an external "powered" USB hub.

user.gif

dun

Reaction score
thanks muckshifter

will try today , thanx for your help , heres hoping

regards

Dun

dun

Reaction score
yo muckshifter

muckshifter said:
This sounds like underpowered USB ... if so, get an external "powered" USB hub.

user.gif

tried usb external power ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still freezes up ,,do you have any other ideas what it might be ?

cheers
kind regards
Dun

Reaction score
>can some kind person help me out please, I bought a new web cam , installed it and was dissapointed to find that after >a few seconds the image freezes up

My first reply seems to have been lost so I'll try again. I did a Google search on `webcam freezes'. It seems that your experience is far from unique. Amongst the hits I found there is an issue between Yahoo Messenger and webcams. Go to this URL if you think it might help:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/messenger/messenger7/mobileandwebcam/mobileandwebcam-41.html

Otherwise do you own Google search and see what you can find.

Good luck.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Malcolm, it really isn't much help telling people to do a Google search. The majority of people know of Google and will likely have tried it before coming to a forum.

The reason they ask here or at other places where human beings can reply is to tap personal knowledge, to see if any body can help.

Imagine if every question was answered with 'Do a Google'.

However, thanks for replying to dun and the Yahoo/webcam link you provided :)

Reaction score
Try using another USB device, preferably another webcam. It maybe that your computer doesn't support this type of webcams. It may also be due to a problem with the particular USB port

dun

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys ,,,, in fact I have tried another cam and the same thing happens ,,,,all of the specs of my laptop are way above those required to run the cam so its not an issue of lack of power or speed etc .........the struggle goes on ha ha ha .......thanks Malcolm for the link ,,,I`ll try that this evening...please if anyone has any more ideas , I`d really apprciate your support.
regards and thanks
Dun

Reaction score
Hi there, I was just wondering if you found the answer to your problem since I am having exactly the same problem now. I changed camera brands because whenever Iwas starting a call on skype the image was freezing. I played with every camera setting and test it and still nothing. After more of one year of this forum, the problem seems to be still unsolved. Just in case, I unistalled MSM messager, but still doesn't work. Any ideas? I already search in all the forums I found through Google if that is going to be the answer.
Thanks
Grisel

dun

Reaction score
Hi Grisel ,,, wow its been sooo long since I had that problem that I cant remember what in fact it was that I did to cure it ,,,, but I'll have a think and get back to you ,,,, I seem to recall that it wasnt a big deal ,,,, anyway despair not and watch this space
see ya

Dun

Reaction score
Hi, i have the exact same problem.. have you recalled what you have done to fix it??

Thank you and heeelp!

dun

Reaction score
oh sorry Ive been away for a while ,,,, I seem to remember in the settings panel (wow its a long time ago) there was an option for how many frames per second the camera worked at , and I lowered the rate (I have a laptop now with a cam built in and I'm sorry I cant remember quite how to pull up the settings panel (under the tools tab I think) Well I hope that it'll work for you , I recall how frustrating it was talking to people overseas and the image kept freezing up , and that was with a brand new cam as well ,,, I was ready to fling the whole thing out the window. all the very best to you
Dun.

Reaction score
hi all in response to dun advice about reducing frames

per second to get webcam to stop freezing up go to start button
click all programs and choose webcam amcap -> options
->video capture pin and change frame rate only problem is that
its not staying changed so i dont know if it works or not
can anyone tell how to get frame rate to stay changed.

Ask a Question