web cam image freezes

Discussion in 'Support' started by dun, Dec 9, 2006.

1. dun

dun

Hi ................can some kind person help me out please, I bought a new web cam , installed it and was dissapointed to find that after a few seconds the image freezes up and I have to unplug it before it works again (for another few seconds before freezing up again) I have re-installed it , same problem ,,,,,,, dont know what to do . I`m running a laptop with windows xp , all the requirements for the cam are well covered by my system , I installed it on my sisters pc and theres no prob ,,,, my nefews pc and again no prob ,,,,please help!
    regards
    Dun

dun, Dec 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. dun

muckshifter Captain Crunchie, Retired Moderator

This sounds like underpowered USB ... if so, get an external "powered" USB hub.

[​IMG]

muckshifter, Dec 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. dun

dun

thanks muckshifter

will try today , thanx for your help , heres hoping

regards

Dun

dun, Dec 9, 2006
  4. dun

dun

yo muckshifter

tried usb external power ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still freezes up ,,do you have any other ideas what it might be ?

cheers
    kind regards
    Dun

dun, Dec 9, 2006
  5. dun

MalcolmW

>can some kind person help me out please, I bought a new web cam , installed it and was dissapointed to find that after >a few seconds the image freezes up

My first reply seems to have been lost so I'll try again. I did a Google search on `webcam freezes'. It seems that your experience is far from unique. Amongst the hits I found there is an issue between Yahoo Messenger and webcams. Go to this URL if you think it might help:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/messenger/messenger7/mobileandwebcam/mobileandwebcam-41.html

Otherwise do you own Google search and see what you can find.

Good luck.

MalcolmW, Dec 10, 2006
  6. dun

floppybootstomp sugar 'n spikes Moderator

Malcolm, it really isn't much help telling people to do a Google search. The majority of people know of Google and will likely have tried it before coming to a forum.

The reason they ask here or at other places where human beings can reply is to tap personal knowledge, to see if any body can help.

Imagine if every question was answered with 'Do a Google'.

However, thanks for replying to dun and the Yahoo/webcam link you provided :)

floppybootstomp, Dec 11, 2006
  7. dun

system32_freak

Try using another USB device, preferably another webcam. It maybe that your computer doesn't support this type of webcams. It may also be due to a problem with the particular USB port

system32_freak, Dec 11, 2006
  8. dun

dun

Thanks for all the replys ,,,, in fact I have tried another cam and the same thing happens ,,,,all of the specs of my laptop are way above those required to run the cam so its not an issue of lack of power or speed etc .........the struggle goes on ha ha ha .......thanks Malcolm for the link ,,,I`ll try that this evening...please if anyone has any more ideas , I`d really apprciate your support.
    regards and thanks
    Dun

dun, Dec 12, 2006
  9. dun

grisel.carreira

Hi there, I was just wondering if you found the answer to your problem since I am having exactly the same problem now. I changed camera brands because whenever Iwas starting a call on skype the image was freezing. I played with every camera setting and test it and still nothing. After more of one year of this forum, the problem seems to be still unsolved. Just in case, I unistalled MSM messager, but still doesn't work. Any ideas? I already search in all the forums I found through Google if that is going to be the answer.
    Thanks
    Grisel

grisel.carreira, Sep 4, 2008
  10. dun

dun

Hi Grisel ,,, wow its been sooo long since I had that problem that I cant remember what in fact it was that I did to cure it ,,,, but I'll have a think and get back to you ,,,, I seem to recall that it wasnt a big deal ,,,, anyway despair not and watch this space
    see ya

Dun

dun, Sep 4, 2008
  11. dun

malakko

Hi, i have the exact same problem.. have you recalled what you have done to fix it??

Thank you and heeelp!

malakko, Oct 27, 2008
  12. dun

dun

oh sorry Ive been away for a while ,,,, I seem to remember in the settings panel (wow its a long time ago) there was an option for how many frames per second the camera worked at , and I lowered the rate (I have a laptop now with a cam built in and I'm sorry I cant remember quite how to pull up the settings panel (under the tools tab I think) Well I hope that it'll work for you , I recall how frustrating it was talking to people overseas and the image kept freezing up , and that was with a brand new cam as well ,,, I was ready to fling the whole thing out the window. all the very best to you
    Dun.

dun, Oct 27, 2008
  13. dun

foxzy21

hi all in response to dun advice about reducing frames

per second to get webcam to stop freezing up go to start button
    click all programs and choose webcam amcap -> options
    ->video capture pin and change frame rate only problem is that
    its not staying changed so i dont know if it works or not
    can anyone tell how to get frame rate to stay changed.

foxzy21, Jun 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements