want to check inside of txt files

BobLondonKy

Hi,

I am searching for a freeware program that can search inside of text (.txt)
for certain words or criteria without my having to open 5000 text (.txt)
files? Is this possible? Any help is appreciated, and Thanks fot any
response.

Bob,
London, Kentucky

Frank Bohan

BobLondonKy said:
Hi,

I am searching for a freeware program that can search inside of text
(.txt)
for certain words or criteria without my having to open 5000 text (.txt)
files? Is this possible? Any help is appreciated, and Thanks fot any
response.

Bob,
London, Kentucky

I have a program called Search which will do exactly what you specify BUT I
have no source or URL for the program -- I think it came from a CD cover
disk. If you post an address I can send it to I'll email it. Size is about
300KB unzipped. Works in W95 and XP (probably anything in between)

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Take the bull by the horns of a dilemma.

Lord Possum

Hi,

I am searching for a freeware program that can search inside of text (.txt)
for certain words or criteria without my having to open 5000 text (.txt)
files? Is this possible? Any help is appreciated, and Thanks fot any
response.

Bob,
London, Kentucky
==============

There are several really good DOS files to do this kind of thing,
and most will work in a Windows DOS window. But, among the best
for Windows is found here:

http://www.orbit.org/replace/bkrep20.exe

BobLondonKy

I appreciate the offer of emailing it to me. However, could you post it on
some news group such as alt.comp.freeware.games

Thank you,

Bob,
London, Kentucky

J-Walker

BobLondonKy said:
Hi,

I am searching for a freeware program that can search inside of text (.txt)
for certain words or criteria without my having to open 5000 text (.txt)
files? Is this possible? Any help is appreciated, and Thanks fot any
response.

Bob,
London, Kentucky

File & Text Finder: http://www.veloci.dk/index.asp?visnu=thedownl.htm

XYplorer or Wilbur can also find text in documents I believe.

Duddits

Hi,

I am searching for a freeware program that can search inside of text (.txt)
for certain words or criteria without my having to open 5000 text (.txt)
files? Is this possible? Any help is appreciated, and Thanks fot any
response.

Bob,
London, Kentucky
From alt.comp.freeware's Pricelessware site
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/
Agent Ransack
Company: Mythicsoft Author: David Vest
(Liteware) (free)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
Languages: English; (help file available in French)
on your hard drive fast and efficiently. When searching the contents of
files Agent Ransack displays the text found so you can quickly browse the
results without having to separately open each file! Agent Ransack provides
compelling advantages over similar search tools: Regular expressions that
allow complex rule based searches. Immediate contents results view. Various
wizards to walk the user through the searching process. NOTES: registration
requested, but not required (name and e-mail)
Home page:
http://www.mythicsoft.com
download page v 1.7.3 (build 332) (c. 2004-04) [ agentran.exe (792 KB)]
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download.aspx
(desc. rev.: 2005-10-01)

regards

Dud

Uncas

BobLondonKy said:
Hi,

I am searching for a freeware program that can search inside of text (.txt)
for certain words or criteria without my having to open 5000 text (.txt)
files? Is this possible? Any help is appreciated, and Thanks fot any
response.

Bob,
London, Kentucky

BareGrep (no install) http://www.baremetalsoft.com/
FileFinder (part of PowerDesk) (sorry, no URL)
HTH
Uncas

Susan Bugher

Duddits said:
Yup, that's another.

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten all about it

reminder ;) a reminder service is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.10Search
Agent Ransack
AVA find
Copernic Desktop Search
Exposed! (v 1.6.0.23)
FileBolter
Filename Locator
find.zip
Google Desktop Search
Harddisk Search & Stats
Locate
Locate32
LookDisk
Nick's Find New Files (FindNewFiles)
Snowbird
Wilbur
X1 (was FIND)
ZipSnake

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.10SearchAndReplace
A.F.9 Replace some bytes
AltaVista Discovery (was AltaVista Personal 97)
catdoc
CatView 2000
dsFSR
General Search And Replace (GSAR)
HandyFile Find and Replace (v 1.2)
Info-Rapid Search & Replace
LightningSearch
Minitrue
PEEK
Replace in Files
ReplaceEm (was BK ReplaceEm)
Search & Replace 98 (v 3.1.2.80)
SimFuz Search Now
Speedy Finder!
TextFind
WanyWord

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.10SearchArchives
Archive Peek
Power Search
Text In A Zip
WinDIZ
Zip Indexator (v 1.2)
Zip Peeker
ZipHunter (ziphunt.zip)
ZipScan (v 1.3b)

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.10SearchPDFFiles
SearchPDF

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

David

==============

There are several really good DOS files to do this kind of thing,
and most will work in a Windows DOS window. But, among the best
for Windows is found here:

http://www.orbit.org/replace/bkrep20.exe

What's wrong with the Windows Find utility?
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

dadiOH

BobLondonKy said:
Hi,

I am searching for a freeware program that can search inside of text
(.txt) for certain words or criteria without my having to open 5000
text (.txt) files? Is this possible?

Sure. Winkey + F (Windows find), enter the string you want to find in
the "Containing text" window and point it at the drive or folder you
want to search.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

mike

BobLondonKy wrote
Hi,

I am searching for a freeware program that can search inside of text
(.txt) for certain words or criteria without my having to open 5000
text (.txt) files? Is this possible? Any help is appreciated, and
Thanks fot any response.

Bob,
London, Kentucky

One that hasn't been mentioned -i think - is
Inforapid-Search and replace.

http://www.inforapid.com/html/english.htm.

I've found it better than Ransack, which I used for ages, and certainly
Copernic, which is a hog, and has to be regularly updated to be ready to
search

Roger Johansson

mike said:
I've found it better than Ransack, which I used for ages, and certainly
Copernic, which is a hog, and has to be regularly updated to be ready to
search

I just did a test, I let both Inforapid and Agent Ransack search for
files containing the string utopia on my E partition, which contains
3GB of data files of all kinds of formats.

Ransack was faster, 7 min, Inforapid 10 min. Both found 872 files.
The user interface is much better in Ransack as I see it. It uses my
windows colors, IR uses bright white as background, which to me is as
disturbing as messages using all capitals, or like somebody shining a
strong light in my face.
IR also shows a big box with About details in the search result field.

So to me Agent Ransack is very good, Inforapid is very irritating, does
not have the courtesy to use my chosen windows colors, and is slower.
But if you like bright white backgrounds they have roughly the same
capability.

There are good technical reasons for not using bright white
backgrounds.
Pictures and icons can only be darker than a bright white background,
with a less intensive background the pictures can be both brighter and
darker than the background. That gives pictures and icons more luster
and life.

If you use bright white as background you have to set the light
intensity of your screen to a lower value than if you use a less
intensive background.
That means that everything has to be darker, also pictures and icons.

There are worker protection regulations that say that bright white
backgrounds should not be used, for good reasons.

The use of bright white backgrounds started when newspapers entered the
web, and they used bright white backgrounds to make people wake up and
take notice.

They are in the business of being upsetting, so they have no reason to
tone down their web pages. Some ruthless operating system makers
followed the trend, clearly against better knowledge, they used toned
down backgrounds before.
Someday in the future this knowledge will be re-found, and the era of
bright white backgrounds will be over.

jacaranda

One that hasn't been mentioned -i think - is
Inforapid-Search and replace.

http://www.inforapid.com/html/english.htm.

I've found it better than Ransack, which I used for ages, and certainly
Copernic, which is a hog, and has to be regularly updated to be ready to
search

I much prefer it to Ransack too. And I like that it has a context menu
option. You can just right-click on a folder and start the search from
there.