w32time

Chris Hall

Good afternoon,

From time to time (at least once a week or more), I get a w32time error,
event 11: The NTP server didn't respond. I'm using these servers:
tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil. Should I be concerned about this?
Are there time servers that someone else is using?

Sriram.V

Hi chris

To enable logging for W32 time you have to edit the following registry
values

Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters
Value name: Log
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x00000064 (Hex)

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters
Value name: WriteLog
Data type: REG_SZ
Value: True

After these settings are edited you have you have to stop and start the W32
time service.

When the time is adjusted, event ID 61 is logged in the System log. The
text for this event is similar to:

The Time service synced time from time source (SOURCE)
This is followed by event ID 0:

Time set (offset < .5) second
If an error with synchronization occurs, event ID 11 is logged:

The NTP server didn't respond

For more information on this you can check out the link which i am
attaching .

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:
80/support/kb/articles/Q307/9/37.ASP&NoWebContent=1

For somemore information regarding your query

If an XP or Win2K client can't find a DC for authentication (most likely on
small networks that have only one DC), the client can log on anyway because
the system caches authentication credentials by default. However, the time
synchronization process fails, which causes W32Time to log event ID 11 (The
NTP Server didn't respond) in the System log.

Event ID 11 is a common Warning on the authoritative time server. If you
see this warning often, reenter the net time /setsntp: command and change
the Internet time server or add IP addresses for multiple NTP servers.

Regards

Sriram.V

--------------------
| From: "Chris Hall" <[email protected]>
| Subject: w32time
| Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:47:21 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Good afternoon,
|
| From time to time (at least once a week or more), I get a w32time error,
| event 11: The NTP server didn't respond. I'm using these servers:
| tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil. Should I be concerned about
this?
| Are there time servers that someone else is using?

(e-mail address removed)

ptwilliams

There's no need to worry about this. If you do as Sriram said you will see
that this works 9 times out of 10. The occasional failure is probably down
to a network timeout -no big deal unless you see lots in a short space of
time.

Paul.

Chris Hall

Thanks Paul & Sriram.