w32time.dll

Kim Stahnke

What does "
Because of repeated network problems, the time service has not been able to
find a domain controller to synchronize with for a long time. To reduce
network traffic, the time service will wait 960 minutes before trying again.
No synchronization will take place during this interval, even if network
connectivity is restored. Accumulated time errors may cause certain network
operations to fail. To tell the time service that network connectivity has
been restored and that it should resynchronize, execute "w32tm /s" from the
command line."

Mean?

We see it in the System Event Log on a computer (Win2K) on the network.

Regards,

Kim

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

Kim,

This error can mean a lot of things. The DC is attempting to contact who
it believes is the authorative time server in the domain. The error states
that the attempts to contact a time server have not succeeded recently. The
time service needs port 123 open between the client and the time server. We
need to keep in synch in a 2000 domain because of kerberos. The following
articles may be of assistance:

258059 How to Synchronize the Time on a Windows 2000-Based Computer in a
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258059

314345 "Event ID: 64" Error Message on a Windows XP-Based Computer in a
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314345

Hope that helps!

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Directory Services
--------------------
From: "Kim Stahnke" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
Subject: w32time.dll
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:44:27 +0200

What does "
Because of repeated network problems, the time service has not been able to
find a domain controller to synchronize with for a long time. To reduce
network traffic, the time service will wait 960 minutes before trying again.
No synchronization will take place during this interval, even if network
connectivity is restored. Accumulated time errors may cause certain network
operations to fail. To tell the time service that network connectivity has
been restored and that it should resynchronize, execute "w32tm /s" from the
command line."

Mean?

We see it in the System Event Log on a computer (Win2K) on the network.

Regards,

Kim

originated.

Marina Roos

If this error is on a W2K-client, type the following commands just once from
the Commandprompt:

net time /setsntp:servername
w32tm -once

Replace "servername" with the name of your server.

Marina

Kim Stahnke

Steve, Thanks for the advices, I'll check the port and also read the
article.
Marina, I ran your command-suggestion.I don't know what happened, there was
a lot of command-line feedback after which the window closed itself.
Probaply OK since no errors were reported.
Kim

Kim Stahnke

Marina,
No, I suspect it is not but it will not be until 23:37 tonight - after 960
minutes - that I know for sure....
And thanks for asking.
It seems that the problem is that we run the 2000 workstations against an
old NT4 Domain Controller/Server without w32time (but with Timeserv), so we
should upgrade to w32time. But we are in the process of changing to a new
server running Windows 2000 Server in a short while and it will overtake the
role of domain controller, and therefore I believe that the problem will go
away by then.
Thanks again,
Kim

Marina Roos

Hi Kim,

It's really easy to change the timeserver on the clients. Just do a "net
time /setsntp:servername" from the commandprompt and after that
"w32tm-once". Or did I already tell you this?
To synchronize with a NT-server you could do the "net time /setsntp:" to
clear the timeserver on the W2K's, than in a loginscript "net time
\\servername /set /y".

Marina

Kim Stahnke

Thanks again, Marina.
I'll give it a try, it seems straight forward enough. But as I said: we are
changing to a 2000 server in a short time and then the problem will go away
by itself.
And we have quite a few w2k workstations that I would have to implement the
script on..
Regards,
Kim