VSS Shadow Copy Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Guest, May 2, 2006.

    Win XP SP2
    All Disks Formatted NTFS

    The volume shadow functionality which previously worked on this system now
    fails with the error:

    Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:8004230f
    Reverting to non-shadow copy backup mode.

    Initially there was a problem with the COM+ System Application service which
    would not start, but after following the steps regarding fixing this in MS
    KB: 315296 it now starts without errors.

    However the Volume shadow copy error remains.
    MS KB article 283085 - describes a very closly related if not the same issue
    relating to the failure of the Shadow Copy but offers no guidelines or
    suggestions, I have been watching this article since January hoping for it to
    be updated but this has not happened.

    Looking around Google I found a list of .Dlls to re-register in such cases
    and the following were registered succesfully:

    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    Regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll

    However attempts to run the following give errors ...

    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll returns the error "DLLInstall in swprv.dll
    failed. Return Code was: 0x8000ffff"

    regsvr32 VSSAPI.DLL returns the error VSSAPI.DLL was loaded, but the
    DllRegister server entry point was not found. VSSAPI.DLL does not appear to
    be a .DLL or .OCX file."

    I replaced VSSAPI.DLL with a clean copy in case it had corrupted, but this
    didn't change the error returned from regsvr32.

    I am *very keen* to get the shadow copy service oprerational again, help
    will be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Guest, May 2, 2006

    Touch Base Guest

    Have you got both
    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and
    Volume Shadow Copy services set to at least manual under Services. If Not Volume shadow copy will fail.

    Touch Base, May 2, 2006

    yes both of those are set to manual. The Volume Shadow Copy service starts
    sucessfully via the services control panel applet, but MS Software Shadow
    Copy Provider service will not start, initial error message is 1053 - "did
    not respond to start request in a timely manner" correponding event log entry
    is "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the MS Software Shadow Copy
    Provider service to connect."

    Guest, May 2, 2006

    "Gaetor" wrote:

    > yes both of those are set to manual. The Volume Shadow Copy service starts
    > sucessfully via the services control panel applet, but MS Software Shadow
    > Copy Provider service will not start, initial error message is 1053 - "did
    > not respond to start request in a timely manner" correponding event log entry
    > is "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the MS Software Shadow Copy
    > Provider service to connect."

    Also there is an event log entry when an attempt is made to backup which
    reads:

    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider
    COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80040154].

    Guest, May 2, 2006

    Touch Base Guest

    "Gaetor" <> wrote in message news:...
    | Win XP SP2
    | All Disks Formatted NTFS
    |
    | The volume shadow functionality which previously worked on this system now
    | fails with the error:
    |
    | Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:8004230f
    | Reverting to non-shadow copy backup mode.
    |
    | Initially there was a problem with the COM+ System Application service which
    | would not start, but after following the steps regarding fixing this in MS
    | KB: 315296 it now starts without errors.
    |
    | However the Volume shadow copy error remains.
    | MS KB article 283085 - describes a very closly related if not the same issue
    | relating to the failure of the Shadow Copy but offers no guidelines or
    | suggestions, I have been watching this article since January hoping for it to
    | be updated but this has not happened.
    |
    | Looking around Google I found a list of .Dlls to re-register in such cases
    | and the following were registered succesfully:
    |
    | regsvr32 ole32.dll
    | regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    | Vssvc /Register
    | Regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    | regsvr32 es.dll
    | regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    | regsvr32 msxml.dll
    | regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    |
    | However attempts to run the following give errors ...
    |
    | regsvr32 /i swprv.dll returns the error "DLLInstall in swprv.dll
    | failed. Return Code was: 0x8000ffff"
    |
    | regsvr32 VSSAPI.DLL returns the error VSSAPI.DLL was loaded, but the
    | DllRegister server entry point was not found. VSSAPI.DLL does not appear to
    | be a .DLL or .OCX file."
    |
    | I replaced VSSAPI.DLL with a clean copy in case it had corrupted, but this
    | didn't change the error returned from regsvr32.
    |
    | I am *very keen* to get the shadow copy service oprerational again, help
    | will be appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks.

    Also make sure that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Removable Storage is set to automatic.

    Touch Base, May 4, 2006

    yes both are ... I suspect this has something to do with the Com+ subsystem
    or possibly the .Net framework config, does anyone with more knowledge than
    me on these subjects have any suggestions on the error message which mentions
    CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} and/or why the swprv.dll fails
    to register?

    Guest, May 4, 2006

    Touch Base Guest

    "Gaetor" <> wrote in message news:...
    | Win XP SP2
    | All Disks Formatted NTFS
    |
    | The volume shadow functionality which previously worked on this system now
    | fails with the error:
    |
    | Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:8004230f
    | Reverting to non-shadow copy backup mode.

    <snip>

    Have a look here and see if any of this data is relevant to the situation:

    Volume Shadow Copy Error
    http://www.backupassist.com/KnowledgeBase/index.php/Main/ErrorVolumeShadowCopy

    Good luck
    --

    (A)bort, (R)etry, (P)retend this never happened

    Touch Base, May 5, 2006

    bricenott Guest

    Hi there Guys,

    Sorry to interrupt, but I have to say I have a similar problem that
    craking my head. I get this same errors below discribed by Gaetor
    "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy
    Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a}
    [0x80040154].", but also, I just realize that get this whitout even
    trying to make a backup, also I get an error when I cmd "vssadmin list
    shadows" with error 0x8000ffff, the writers cmd sais all stable... I
    began to check on this because I'm trying to make a backup with norton
    ghost 10, from one drive to another 80 gb both with the copy drive
    feature, the errors I get with ghost are
    5/7/2006 7:15:20 AM High Priority Error: Error EC8F17B3: Cannot
    complete copying of SYSTEM (C:\) drive. 0xEBAB0005 (Norton Ghost)
    5/7/2006 9:06:14 AM High Priority Error: Error EC8F17B3: Cannot
    complete copying of SYSTEM (C:\) drive. 0xEBAB0005 (Norton Ghost)

    Can you help me please ???

    Gaetor ha escrito:

    bricenott, May 7, 2006

    davego

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The problem is the MBR doesn't match from the original image.

    Download mbrfix
    MbrFix /drive 0 listpartitions

    MbrFix /drive 0 generatesignature
    Reboot twice