VPN to Cisco via Radius fails ppp

I have a Windows 2003 Domain, with an internet facing Cisco 837 ADSL router.
The router is configured to allow incoming (pptp) VPN connections, passing
authentication off to a Windows Radius server (IAS). I can VPN into the
network fine from XP, but with Vista I get a 619 error.

I have downgraded the authentication to chap and MSchap (v1) on vista by
configuring the VPN settings manually (and actually setting everything to the
same as my XP client vpn connection), but it still fails. It actually looks
like the authentication phase completes OK by looking in the IAS logs - and
the client briefly displays the "registering your computer on the network"
dialog before being disconnected. I think this is more of a link control
error than the usual VPN authentication or encryption problems.

I have run netmon 3.1 traces on both the XP and Vista clients, and can see
that the vista client gets disconnected following the CCP negotiation phase.
I have tried changing the LCP and compression settings on the Vista client
but this makes no difference.

Something must have changed with the Vista VPN client that has broken this
functionality. I can VPN in fine from many XP, W2K, and even Windows mobile
clients - but not Vista.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I'd like to suggest you try the following steps:

Step1
===========
Maybe turning off auto-tuning on the Vista client may help. Please run the
following commands:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled and reboot

Related Articles:
934430: Network connectivity may fail when you try to use Windows Vista
behind a firewall device
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430/en-us

555912: Windows 2003 service pack 2 known issues on Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555912/en-us

Step2
===========
Changing or disabling the behavior for Strong Host Routing in Windows Vista.

In this case, the customer has an application that would switch to using a
faster network dynamically if one was available. The Strong Host Routing in
Windows Vista was preventing this from happening.

There is no setting that can be made in the registry to disable this
behavior. You can only disable the metric preference for gateways using
NETSH.
The syntax is: netsh interface ipv4 set int
ignoredefaultroutes=enabled/disabled

However it only works on a per connection basis though. If you are using
CMAK you can create a script that runs that command at the end of a
connection.

The VPN software could be coded to disable the default route like below,
but they probably don't have access to source for that client.
It is exposed through IP Helper.

DisableDefaultRoutes
A value that indicates if using default route on the interface should be
disabled. This member can be used by VPN clients to restrict split
tunneling.

Step3
===========
Check if you have obtain the proper IP addresses from the DHCP server. If
not, please refer to:
928233: Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or
from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: VPN to Cisco via Radius fails ppp
| Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:12:11 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi,
| I have a Windows 2003 Domain, with an internet facing Cisco 837 ADSL
router.
| The router is configured to allow incoming (pptp) VPN connections,
passing
| authentication off to a Windows Radius server (IAS). I can VPN into the
| network fine from XP, but with Vista I get a 619 error.
|
| I have downgraded the authentication to chap and MSchap (v1) on vista by
| configuring the VPN settings manually (and actually setting everything to
the
| same as my XP client vpn connection), but it still fails. It actually
looks
| like the authentication phase completes OK by looking in the IAS logs -
and
| the client briefly displays the "registering your computer on the
network"
| dialog before being disconnected. I think this is more of a link control
| error than the usual VPN authentication or encryption problems.
|
| I have run netmon 3.1 traces on both the XP and Vista clients, and can
see
| that the vista client gets disconnected following the CCP negotiation
phase.
| I have tried changing the LCP and compression settings on the Vista
client
| but this makes no difference.
|
| Something must have changed with the Vista VPN client that has broken
this
| functionality. I can VPN in fine from many XP, W2K, and even Windows
mobile
| clients - but not Vista.
|
| Any suggestions gratefully received!

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for your reply - unfortunately, none of the suggestions have
resolved the problem.

I would like to confirm we are using the built in Vista VPN client (rather
than a 3rd party), from the log files, I can also see that I am getting a
valid IP address and DNS/WINS server addresses shortly before the connection
is terminated.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I'd like to suggest you try the following steps:

Step1
===========
> [...]

and
| the client briefly displays the "registering your computer on the
network"
| dialog before being disconnected. I think this is more of a link control
| error than the usual VPN authentication or encryption problems.
|
| I have run netmon 3.1 traces on both the XP and Vista clients, and can
see
| that the vista client gets disconnected following the CCP negotiation
phase.
| I have tried changing the LCP and compression settings on the Vista
client
| but this makes no difference.
|
| Something must have changed with the Vista VPN client that has broken
this
| functionality. I can VPN in fine from many XP, W2K, and even Windows

At this moment, the issue only occurs on Windows Vista. I am not sure if it
is related to the Cisco router. I suggest you upgrade of IOS in the Cisco
router and enable MSCHAP V2 in Windows Vista to monitor the issue again.

> [...]

| > network"
| > | dialog before being disconnected. I think this is more of a link
control
| > | error than the usual VPN authentication or encryption problems.
| > |
| > | I have run netmon 3.1 traces on both the XP and Vista clients, and
can
| > see
| > | that the vista client gets disconnected following the CCP negotiation
| > phase.
| > | I have tried changing the LCP and compression settings on the Vista
| > client
| > | but this makes no difference.
| > |
| > | Something must have changed with the Vista VPN client that has broken
| > this
| > | functionality. I can VPN in fine from many XP, W2K, and even Windows
| > |
| > | Any suggestions gratefully received!
| > |

Thanks Ken.

I will see if we can get an IOS upgrade, but I am pretty sure we are at the
latest release.

Problems with VPN's is probably one of the biggest painpoints with Vista
from a corporate point of view - it's not even striaghtforward to map a drive.

Is Microsoft likely to be fixing these problems in the short term? I really
struggle to recommend Vista when upgrading breaks existing infrastructure
funtionality.

Regards,

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > network"
| > | dialog before being disconnected. I think this is more of a link
control
| > | error than the usual VPN authentication or encryption problems.
| > |
| > | I have run netmon 3.1 traces on both the XP and Vista clients, and
can
| > see
| > | that the vista client gets disconnected following the CCP negotiation
| > phase.
| > | I have tried changing the LCP and compression settings on the Vista
| > client
| > | but this makes no difference.
| > |
| > | Something must have changed with the Vista VPN client that has broken
| > this
| > | functionality. I can VPN in fine from many XP, W2K, and even Windows
| > |
| > | Any suggestions gratefully received!
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Actually, Windows Vista has enhanced network security and components.
Sometimes third party network devices are not compatible with Windows Vista
in some network configuration. At this moment, please believe we are
collecting products feedback from our customers so that we can improve our
new products in the future. If the problem only occurs on Windows Vista, I
also suggest you consult network device manufacturer to see if they have
any information about this symptom.

I do understand your concerns. From my point of view, I understand your
feeling and how frustrated when you find that our product cannot meet your
needs. So, it is my pleasure to help you to reflect your recommendation to
the proper department for their consideration.

In addition, please feel free to submit your suggestion on our product to
the following link. Our Product Group reviews the suggestions submitted by
our customers. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and
increase the level of service provided.

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&
ws=search

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: VPN to Cisco via Radius fails ppp
| Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:04:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Thanks Ken.
|
| I will see if we can get an IOS upgrade, but I am pretty sure we are at
the
| latest release.
|
| Problems with VPN's is probably one of the biggest painpoints with Vista
| from a corporate point of view - it's not even striaghtforward to map a
drive.

| Is Microsoft likely to be fixing these problems in the short term? I
really
| struggle to recommend Vista when upgrading breaks existing infrastructure
| funtionality.
|
| Regards,
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > At this moment, the issue only occurs on Windows Vista. I am not sure
if it
| > is related to the Cisco router. I suggest you upgrade of IOS in the
Cisco
| > router and enable MSCHAP V2 in Windows Vista to monitor the issue again.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZA==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: VPN to Cisco via Radius fails ppp
| > | Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 00:44:15 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hi Ken,
| > |
| > | Many thanks for your reply - unfortunately, none of the suggestions
have
| > | resolved the problem.
| > |
| > | I would like to confirm we are using the built in Vista VPN client
| > (rather
| > | than a 3rd party), from the log files, I can also see that I am
getting a
| > | valid IP address and DNS/WINS server addresses shortly before the
| > connection
| > | is terminated.
| > |
| > | Any further ideas?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > the

Vista

| > Server

Windows
| > Vista.

| > using a
| > Routing in

| > using

| > below,

| > be

| > If
| > or

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

ADSL
| > the
| > | > |
| > by
| > everything to
| > actually
| > -
| > control
| > | > |
| > can
Vista
| > | > |
Windows
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Yeffer,

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:22:23 GMT
| Subject: RE: VPN to Cisco via Radius fails ppp
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hello,
|
| Actually, Windows Vista has enhanced network security and components.
| Sometimes third party network devices are not compatible with Windows
Vista
| in some network configuration. At this moment, please believe we are
| collecting products feedback from our customers so that we can improve
our
| new products in the future. If the problem only occurs on Windows Vista,
| also suggest you consult network device manufacturer to see if they have
| any information about this symptom.
|
| I do understand your concerns. From my point of view, I understand your
| feeling and how frustrated when you find that our product cannot meet
your
| needs. So, it is my pleasure to help you to reflect your recommendation
| the proper department for their consideration.
|
| In addition, please feel free to submit your suggestion on our product to
| the following link. Our Product Group reviews the suggestions submitted
by
| our customers. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products
and
| increase the level of service provided.

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&
| ws=search
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZA==?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: VPN to Cisco via Radius fails ppp
| | Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:04:05 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| |
| | Thanks Ken.
| |
| | I will see if we can get an IOS upgrade, but I am pretty sure we are at
| the
| | latest release.
| |
| | Problems with VPN's is probably one of the biggest painpoints with
Vista
| | from a corporate point of view - it's not even striaghtforward to map a
| drive.
| |
| | Is Microsoft likely to be fixing these problems in the short term? I
| really
| | struggle to recommend Vista when upgrading breaks existing
infrastructure
| | funtionality.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| |
| | > Hello,
| | >
| | > At this moment, the issue only occurs on Windows Vista. I am not sure
| if it
| | > is related to the Cisco router. I suggest you upgrade of IOS in the
| Cisco
| | > router and enable MSCHAP V2 in Windows Vista to monitor the issue
again.

| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| | > ====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > ====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| | > |
| have