Vokoscreen screen recorder.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Gave vokoscreen a test run out today which is a simple to use screen recorder. It seems pretty light to use and is smooth and fast in use at least it is on my modest system and Arch os.

http://www.kohaupt-online.de/hp/

Have not set up sound yet and this is my first ever go at screencasting so I doubt I'll be getting any Oscar nominations.
The video shows me changing themes in Window Maker and installing an old theme I made a few years ago. Seems I was using the theme as a template whilst I was learning about themes and I seem to have several copies with the same name but different internals. Confusion ensued but the fault was found and easily fixed. Hopefully with this demo video you can gain a feeling of just how easy Window Maker is to use.
Naturally after this demo you will all want to install Window Maker
good2.gif

https://www.dropbox....12-10.mkv?dl=0

You can download the video or view it in Dropbox. (6 min/ 15.3 MiB)

Enjoy. :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
55 views and not a single comment for this thread. I looked at a previous thread on firejail and that has 1286 and not a single comment. Am I wasting my time posting ? :cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I watched the video, but as I'm not a regular Linux user, I didn't understand it fully. If you're able to get sound up and running on it, you could give a bit of a commentary on it perhaps? I think that would be a lot of use to help understand the process :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I watched the video, but as I'm not a regular Linux user, I didn't understand it fully. If you're able to get sound up and running on it, you could give a bit of a commentary on it perhaps? I think that would be a lot of use to help understand the process :)

For GNU/Linux users most of the presentation would make some sense. I agree that sound and commentary would make the demo much clearer for everyone.
I was posting to give vokoscreen and Window Maker a plug :lol: The demo was just the result of my first try at the program and I guess I could have picked a less complicated trial.

However I am still baffled as to why folk do not make the effort to make a comment and I really do feel as though I am wasting my time posting a lot of the time. 1268 views and not a single comment for the firejail thread which I think contains a very useful tip and no comments :wall:I know my posts are a tad quirky and I am posting about tech from the outer edges of the known universe but someone must have some opinion about them so why not make a small comment :rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Next time I send out a newsletter, I will see if I can drum up some interest with any members we've got with Linux - I often read your posts in the Linux section, but some of them are beyond my understanding so I can't say anything useful (I will reply where I can contribute though, in future).

That said, your threads have a lot of views so it looks like we've got quite a few non-registered users reading them. If you're a guest and reading this post, please do sign up and join in the Linux discussion :thumb:.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Next time I send out a newsletter, I will see if I can drum up some interest with any members we've got with Linux - I often read your posts in the Linux section, but some of them are beyond my understanding so I can't say anything useful (I will reply where I can contribute though, in future).

That said, your threads have a lot of views so it looks like we've got quite a few non-registered users reading them. If you're a guest and reading this post, please do sign up and join in the Linux discussion :thumb:.

Thanks Ian. I have been posting for several reasons. To help out and give some information to the regular users though as they are using pretty stable os' they do not need that much help. Also as the site appeares towards the top of Google searches the threads will atract some attention to the site and give GNU/Linux some attention too.
As you do not use GNU/Linux I did not expect you to reply to most of the threads as you are quite busy with more important matters. It is nice that you take the time to read some of the posts though.
I have been thinking about the sticky for newcomers to GNU/Linux and have some resources book marked and given some though to how to layout the thread. Have been to busy wilderness clearing,hospital appointments,rides on my Royal and recovering from me busted shoulder to do any more. I am getting matters settled here so I will look more seriously at it shortly.
It is interesting that the members who have made the change to GNU/Linux here rarely post problems and seem pretty happy with running a minority os and seem to find them easier to use than their old os's.
breakfast.gif

An I just had a peek at the page showing the WINDOWS thread and compared the amount views to the GNU/Linux page and there are about 300% more folk viewing the GNU/Linux threads. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the sticky for newcomers to GNU/Linux and have some resources book marked and given some though to how to layout the thread.
That sounds like a really good idea, when you've got some free time. We could do with an up-to-date Linux intro sticky :thumb:.

Reaction score
Sorry AB but have not been on the PC much over the weekend and had not seen this article. I use Start Page which is a very secure search engine, have a look and see what you think of it.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sorry AB but have not been on the PC much over the weekend and had not seen this article. I use Start Page which is a very secure search engine, have a look and see what you think of it.

No problem mate I do not expect everyone to read all my posts and comment, though it would be nice :lol: I was just having a senior moment rant earlier. :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That background would drive my crazy :lol:. I'm boring enough to have used the default Windows desktop wallpapers since XP (for the most part, at least!).

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That background would drive my crazy :lol:. I'm boring enough to have used the default Windows desktop wallpapers since XP (for the most part, at least!).

It would drive me crazy too. Oh wait up I am crazy already so no worries then. :lol::lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
How to use Vokoscreen to Record Videos

Vokoscreen is a screen recording tool that can be used to record educational videos, do live recordings of the browser, installation, and video conferences. You can capture a video with (via ALSA or PulseAudio) or without sound. The program is very easy to use and has a minimalistic GUI. It can also capture your face using a webcam at the same time, so this feature is especially suitable for screencasting purposes. Another feature is the direct capture from IEEE1394 digital cameras.

Excellent introduction and guide for new users of this quality program. It is open source and free to use and works nicely on all the linux distros I have tried. :cool:

Hmmm it seems that vokoscreen has been updated to use QT and some distros now use it and some still have the older version. There is also a new name vokoscreenNG which is not used by everyone just to add to the confusion. It is best to try and use the latest QT version if possible as the old version which uses FFmpeg is no longer in development.

https://github.com/vkohaupt/vokoscreenNG

The development of vokoscreen was started again under the new name vokoscreenNG, see https://github.com/vkohaupt/vokoscreenNG. The project vokoscreen is therefore archived and will not be developed further.

:cool:

Last edited:

Ask a Question