Windows Vista Voice Recognition

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have just been looking around in Vista, specifically, to see whether there was a way of configuring headsets, etc., as there is in XP... anyway, I found what I was looking for, but made another discovery....

It looks to me as though Vista has built-in voice recognition - is that correct? Or have I misinterpreted? Control Panel > Sounds > Recording tab > click on your input device > Configure - which then reveals a screen for Speech Recognition Options. The first heading is "Start Speech Recognition: Start using your voice to control your computer"

Has anyone else seen/tried this out yet please? Seems clever :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It looks to me as though Vista has built-in voice recognition - is that correct?
Yes ... ;)

There are some good, comical, videos of people "attempting" to get it to work with any proficiency ... though the best one was MS's own demo where the PC seemed to have a mind of its own.

I would say you need an old style BBC monotone voice ... do not make erm noises and do not swear or it goes off in a huff.

StarTrec it ain't, but it can be fun ... for a day.
laughingsmiley.gif

Here is a good How To ...

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6165615.html

... take no notice of the security 'problem' supposedly associated with speech. It won't work. ;)

MS's own site ...

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/windowsvista/speech.aspx

user.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Now this definitely sounds like fun! :lol: Should be interesting to see what chaos might be caused by laughing :lol: Thank you for the links Mucks :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Be careful when you say "delete that" ... you may find you hard drive being formatted.

:lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:eek: And seeing that I'm occasionally prone to hiccups (real ones I mean)....probably best that I don't try chatting to it :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Don't worry ... you can't delete your HD ... Vista won't let you. :thumb:

Have a play ... :nod:

Ask a Question