VMware help needed!

Reaction score
I just made an account today, so if I am posting the wrong section, please let me know.

At my work (3ppl) we are all using at least 2 computers: one for Win 98 and one for XP.
We have the W98 for MS-DOS based programs and the XP for everything else. I am trying to get VMware on my work laptop so that I can discard the other two desktops that I have to use.

The problem I am having is getting to the open systems on the server (which I know nothing about)...every time I go to the server it asks me for a password for the resource \\<server name>\IPC$

I am at a loss because I can access it from outside VMware, but while not in it. Help:confused:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I think VM Ware is a bit advanced for what you want to do.

If you plan to run this on a laptop, I would recommend Windows 7. It supports Virtual Machines and can run XP without a problem. It's probably an easier interface.

Unless you really need to run VMWare for something specific. I wouldn't run it on a laptop, that's for sure.

Reaction score
The open systems accounting software (osas) will not work in compatibility mode on any OS, that's why I need to run 2k or earlier on VMware, especially since we need to be able to look at the osas while doing everything else.

But I figured out that the problem was just the servers way of telling me it didn't recognize the login. So I changed it to the normal dsk user with the same pass and it let me right in.

But this laptop is just a test for running it all on one machine so that we can get a newer system that can handle VMware and probably Win7... thanks for the input:thumb:

Ask a Question