Vista's disk cleanup is missing the compress option?

Brian Drab

In previous versions of Windows you had the option when running Disk Cleanup
to automatically compress files that have not been used in quite some time
in an effort to save space and speed up drive operation. In addition, if I'm
not mistaken, Windows would automatically expand a compressed file once it
was accessed again.

If you look at the Disk Cleanup utility in Vista you will see that although
they have added a lot more options they seem to have removed the compression
option. Anyone know anything about this?

Am I missing something

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Brian;
That option was problematic in windows XP.
My guess is Microsoft removed it rather than attempt to fix what has
largely become unnecessary because of the lower drive prices.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Brian,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Actually, the option has been removed from Windows Vista. It is a design
change.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Vista's disk cleanup is missing the compress option?
| Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:32:40 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Brian;
| That option was problematic in windows XP.
| My guess is Microsoft removed it rather than attempt to fix what has
| largely become unnecessary because of the lower drive prices.
|
| --
| Jupiter Jones [MVP]
| http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
| http://www.dts-l.org
|

| | > In previous versions of Windows you had the option when running Disk
| > Cleanup to automatically compress files that have not been used in
| > quite some time in an effort to save space and speed up drive
| > operation. In addition, if I'm not mistaken, Windows would
| > automatically expand a compressed file once it was accessed again.
| >
| > If you look at the Disk Cleanup utility in Vista you will see that
| > although they have added a lot more options they seem to have
| > removed the compression option. Anyone know anything about this?
| >
| > Am I missing something

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 02:22:08 GMT
| Subject: Re: Vista's disk cleanup is missing the compress option?
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hello Brian,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| Actually, the option has been removed from Windows Vista. It is a design
| change.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Vista's disk cleanup is missing the compress option?
| | Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:32:40 -0600
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| |
| | Brian;
| | That option was problematic in windows XP.
| | My guess is Microsoft removed it rather than attempt to fix what has
| | largely become unnecessary because of the lower drive prices.
| |
| | --
| | Jupiter Jones [MVP]
| | http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
| | http://www.dts-l.org
| |
| |
| | > Cleanup to automatically compress files that have not been used in
| | > quite some time in an effort to save space and speed up drive
| | > operation. In addition, if I'm not mistaken, Windows would
| | > automatically expand a compressed file once it was accessed again.
| | >
| | > If you look at the Disk Cleanup utility in Vista you will see that
| | > although they have added a lot more options they seem to have
| | > removed the compression option. Anyone know anything about this?
| | >
| | > Am I missing something
| |
| |