Vista Release Question #2

I have basically the same question as my previous post, "Vista Release
Question", but with some updated info. I still want to know if the 32 and
64-bit editions of Vista Ultimate Full Version will be packaged together or
if they will be seperate. Now, I have called Microsoft several times to ask
them the formentioned question and every time I call I get a different
answer. When you preorder Vista from Microsoft, it does not tell you which
edition it is, so it makes me think that they are packaged together. If
anyone knows anything about the question I asked, please post a response.
Thanks.

Rick Rogers

Hi,

There is no good answer, at least not yet. No one has seen the retail
package as it's not available yet. Support staff at Microsoft do not have
all the details, and niether does anyone here. Many were told by various
sources that they would be packaged together, but we don't know for certain
that this will be the case. Any answer you recieve is mere speculation.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Ken

I've heard a few different stories. The latest is that both will ship with
the ultimate version. I read this on some webpage as well

Ken

From what I have read on an discussion forum it will work like this:
Ultimate, business, enterprise and home premium will have both where you can
choose, and home will only have 32-bit.

Or, you can choose on any version if you want 32-bit or 64-bit.

These are the two stories I have heard. Guess none knows for sure yet.

Colin Barnhorst

I think it depends on whether you are asking about the full or upgrade
edition. Darrel Gorter (MSFT) told me in the windows.64bit.general ng that
the retail full edition contains both x86 and x64 dvd's. One of our English
friends reported his local Microsoft office told him the same thing. No one
has said yet what the upgrade edition contains but it might only contain the
x86 dvd.

Colin Barnhorst

That would not be necessary since all dvd's are the same and the edition you
install depends entirely on your product key. Home Basic is available as
both x86 and x64. Only Starter is x86 only. The full edition is well known
since it is already in the hands of MSDN and TechNet subscribers and some of
the ex-TechBeta testers. It is the upgrade edition that is somewhat unknown
at this point.

Michael D

I know for the Express Upgrade that you must select 32 or 64 bit if you
upgrade from Home or Pro, moving from MCE the only choice is 32 bit.

Ken

I've also heard that all versions except for home basic will get both . So
who knows. This a was the original story i heard.

Ken

Colin Barnhorst

Correct. There is no 64bit XP MCE so that makes sense. If you want an
Express Upgrade coupon for x64 you would have to order XP Pro x64 and the
coupon would be for Vista Business x64.

I doubt that Express Upgrade coupons would be good for anything that
requires a custom installation. I suspect that the green dots in the
Upgrade Matrix on Get Ready pretty much tell you when EU coupons would or
would not be available for the flavor of XP you were buying.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
This is my current understanding.
Windows Ultimate will have both DVDs for X86 and X64 ( This would be for
both full and upgrade boxes)
Other skus will have an option to request the X64 DVD be sent to them but
it will not be in the shipping box.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Colin Barnhorst" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Release Question #2
|>Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 20:47:34 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>I think it depends on whether you are asking about the full or upgrade
|>edition. Darrel Gorter (MSFT) told me in the windows.64bit.general ng
that
|>the retail full edition contains both x86 and x64 dvd's. One of our
English
|>friends reported his local Microsoft office told him the same thing. No
one
|>has said yet what the upgrade edition contains but it might only contain
the
|>x86 dvd.

|>> Question", but with some updated info. I still want to know if the 32
and
|>> 64-bit editions of Vista Ultimate Full Version will be packaged
together
|>> or
|>> if they will be seperate. Now, I have called Microsoft several times to
|>> ask
|>> them the formentioned question and every time I call I get a different
|>> answer. When you preorder Vista from Microsoft, it does not tell you
which
|>> edition it is, so it makes me think that they are packaged together. If
|>> anyone knows anything about the question I asked, please post a
response.
|>> Thanks.
|>> --
|>> Cajun Gadget Boy

Colin Barnhorst

That is very good clarification. But what is going to happen if folks
running XP SP2 think that by buying the Ultimate box they can upgrade to
64bit Vista? Isn't putting an x64 upgrade edition product key on the
shelves asking for some confusion on that point? What will happen when they
discover that they have to run Setup from their XP SP2 desktop and then
discover that 64bit Setup can't run on XP SP2? Is there a third way to run
Setup?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello COlin,
I have to wipe an X64 machine to test that scenario so getting an answer
may take awhile.
I would have to install Windows XP SP2 ( x86 edition) to check the
compliance checking process.
But with X64 installed on the system, if I boot to an X64 DVD and use an
Upgrade Product key, it searches my systems and locates a qualifying OS.
Then it allows me to do a clean installation.
If I do the same thing with a X86 DVD ( boot to the DVD and enter an
Upgrade product key) I am told I have to start setup from with-in an
existing OS. So this option only exists when using an X64 DVD.
So my guess right now is that an installed Windows XP SP2 x86 edition will
meet the compliance check for the X64 when you boot to the X64 dvd, but I
have some work to do before I can test that. I didn't want to wipe one of
my x64 machine right now if I didn't have to.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Colin Barnhorst" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Release Question #2
|>Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:28:55 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>That is very good clarification. But what is going to happen if folks
|>running XP SP2 think that by buying the Ultimate box they can upgrade to
|>64bit Vista? Isn't putting an x64 upgrade edition product key on the
|>shelves asking for some confusion on that point? What will happen when
they
|>discover that they have to run Setup from their XP SP2 desktop and then
|>discover that 64bit Setup can't run on XP SP2? Is there a third way to
run
|>Setup?

|>> This is my current understanding.
|>> Windows Ultimate will have both DVDs for X86 and X64 ( This would be for
|>> both full and upgrade boxes)
|>> Other skus will have an option to request the X64 DVD be sent to them
but
|>> it will not be in the shipping box.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

Colin Barnhorst

That will change a lot of things and make it much easier for folks with
recent machines to migrate to 64bits. Do you know if migrating from Win2k
to Vista x86 will work the same way? The other possibility is to allow
installation to a separate volume and that would set up an out-of-compliance
scenario because it would leave Win2k still runnable on the machine.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello COlin,
I have to wipe an X64 machine to test that scenario so getting an answer
may take awhile.
I would have to install Windows XP SP2 ( x86 edition) to check the
compliance checking process.
But with X64 installed on the system, if I boot to an X64 DVD and use an
Upgrade Product key, it searches my systems and locates a qualifying OS.
Then it allows me to do a clean installation.
If I do the same thing with a X86 DVD ( boot to the DVD and enter an
Upgrade product key) I am told I have to start setup from with-in an
existing OS. So this option only exists when using an X64 DVD.
So my guess right now is that an installed Windows XP SP2 x86 edition will
meet the compliance check for the X64 when you boot to the X64 dvd, but I
have some work to do before I can test that. I didn't want to wipe one of
my x64 machine right now if I didn't have to.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Colin Barnhorst" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Release Question #2
|>Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:28:55 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>That is very good clarification. But what is going to happen if folks
|>running XP SP2 think that by buying the Ultimate box they can upgrade to
|>64bit Vista? Isn't putting an x64 upgrade edition product key on the
|>shelves asking for some confusion on that point? What will happen when
they
|>discover that they have to run Setup from their XP SP2 desktop and then
|>discover that 64bit Setup can't run on XP SP2? Is there a third way to
run
|>Setup?

message
|>> This is my current understanding.
|>> Windows Ultimate will have both DVDs for X86 and X64 ( This would be
for
|>> both full and upgrade boxes)
|>> Other skus will have an option to request the X64 DVD be sent to them
but
|>> it will not be in the shipping box.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Colin,
This is only an option for X64 media, not for X86 media. So it's only for
32-bit
It's only 64bit since setup.exe for 64-bit cannot run inside a 32-bit OS
however Windows XP 32-bit does meet the compliance check. So I can't run
setup from within the 32-bit OS.
So if I have Windows XP 32-bit installed and I boot to the Windows XP x64
DVD and enter an upgrade key, setup does continue.
Checking the log file it states the compliance check is met.
I did wipe an x64 machine, install Windows XP 32-bit and then use the x64
DVD with an upgrade product key
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Colin Barnhorst" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Release Question #2
|>Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 19:14:31 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>That will change a lot of things and make it much easier for folks with
|>recent machines to migrate to 64bits. Do you know if migrating from
Win2k
|>to Vista x86 will work the same way? The other possibility is to allow
|>installation to a separate volume and that would set up an
out-of-compliance
|>scenario because it would leave Win2k still runnable on the machine.

|>> I have to wipe an X64 machine to test that scenario so getting an answer
|>> may take awhile.
|>> I would have to install Windows XP SP2 ( x86 edition) to check the
|>> compliance checking process.
|>> But with X64 installed on the system, if I boot to an X64 DVD and use an
|>> Upgrade Product key, it searches my systems and locates a qualifying OS.
|>> Then it allows me to do a clean installation.
|>> If I do the same thing with a X86 DVD ( boot to the DVD and enter an
|>> Upgrade product key) I am told I have to start setup from with-in an
|>> existing OS. So this option only exists when using an X64 DVD.
|>> So my guess right now is that an installed Windows XP SP2 x86 edition
will
|>> meet the compliance check for the X64 when you boot to the X64 dvd, but
|>> have some work to do before I can test that. I didn't want to wipe one
of
|>> my x64 machine right now if I didn't have to.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> they
|>> run
|>> |>
|>> message
|>> for
|>> but

|>> rights

John Barnes

Great. Sounds like anyone with a qualifying 32-bit system can use a 64-bit
upgrade DVD to do a custom install of an equal or better Vista version.
That will assist me in using an old XP Home I no longer use to install
Vista64 and keep my license for XP X64 active until the Vista driver
situation clears up.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Colin,
This is only an option for X64 media, not for X86 media. So it's only for
32-bit
It's only 64bit since setup.exe for 64-bit cannot run inside a 32-bit OS
however Windows XP 32-bit does meet the compliance check. So I can't run
setup from within the 32-bit OS.
So if I have Windows XP 32-bit installed and I boot to the Windows XP x64
DVD and enter an upgrade key, setup does continue.
Checking the log file it states the compliance check is met.
I did wipe an x64 machine, install Windows XP 32-bit and then use the x64
DVD with an upgrade product key
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Colin Barnhorst" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Release Question #2
|>Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 19:14:31 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>That will change a lot of things and make it much easier for folks with
|>recent machines to migrate to 64bits. Do you know if migrating from
Win2k
|>to Vista x86 will work the same way? The other possibility is to allow
|>installation to a separate volume and that would set up an
out-of-compliance
|>scenario because it would leave Win2k still runnable on the machine.

message
|>> I have to wipe an X64 machine to test that scenario so getting an
answer
|>> may take awhile.
|>> I would have to install Windows XP SP2 ( x86 edition) to check the
|>> compliance checking process.
|>> But with X64 installed on the system, if I boot to an X64 DVD and use
an
|>> Upgrade Product key, it searches my systems and locates a qualifying
OS.
|>> Then it allows me to do a clean installation.
|>> If I do the same thing with a X86 DVD ( boot to the DVD and enter an
|>> Upgrade product key) I am told I have to start setup from with-in an
|>> existing OS. So this option only exists when using an X64 DVD.
|>> So my guess right now is that an installed Windows XP SP2 x86 edition
will
|>> meet the compliance check for the X64 when you boot to the X64 dvd,
but
|>> have some work to do before I can test that. I didn't want to wipe
one
of
|>> my x64 machine right now if I didn't have to.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

upgrade
|>> they
|>> run
|>> |>
|>> message
|>> for
|>> but

|>> rights

Colin Barnhorst

That's a biggie! It should mean that it's OK to include the 64bit dvd in
all the upgrade packages.

Now, how does it work with W2k? In fact, how does it work for all the
yellow dot entries in the Upgrade Matrix?

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

OS.
|>> Then it allows me to do a clean installation.
|>> If I do the same thing with a X86 DVD ( boot to the DVD and enter an
|>> Upgrade product key) I am told I have to start setup from with-in an
|>> existing OS. So this option only exists when using an X64 DVD.
|>> So my guess right now is that an installed Windows XP SP2 x86 edition
will
|>> meet the compliance check for the X64 when you boot to the X64 dvd,
but
|>> have some work to do before I can test that. I didn't want to wipe
one
of
|>> my x64 machine right now if I didn't have to.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

John Barnes

So if I have Windows XP 32-bit installed and I boot to the
Windows XP x64 DVD
and enter an upgrade key, setup does continue.

Can I assume that you meant the Vista64 DVD in this case? Thanks.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Colin,
This is only an option for X64 media, not for X86 media. So it's only for
32-bit
It's only 64bit since setup.exe for 64-bit cannot run inside a 32-bit OS
however Windows XP 32-bit does meet the compliance check. So I can't run
setup from within the 32-bit OS.
So if I have Windows XP 32-bit installed and I boot to the Windows XP x64
DVD and enter an upgrade key, setup does continue.
Checking the log file it states the compliance check is met.
I did wipe an x64 machine, install Windows XP 32-bit and then use the x64
DVD with an upgrade product key
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Colin Barnhorst" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista Release Question #2
|>Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 19:14:31 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>That will change a lot of things and make it much easier for folks with
|>recent machines to migrate to 64bits. Do you know if migrating from
Win2k
|>to Vista x86 will work the same way? The other possibility is to allow
|>installation to a separate volume and that would set up an
out-of-compliance
|>scenario because it would leave Win2k still runnable on the machine.

message
|>> I have to wipe an X64 machine to test that scenario so getting an
answer
|>> may take awhile.
|>> I would have to install Windows XP SP2 ( x86 edition) to check the
|>> compliance checking process.
|>> But with X64 installed on the system, if I boot to an X64 DVD and use
an
|>> Upgrade Product key, it searches my systems and locates a qualifying
OS.
|>> Then it allows me to do a clean installation.
|>> If I do the same thing with a X86 DVD ( boot to the DVD and enter an
|>> Upgrade product key) I am told I have to start setup from with-in an
|>> existing OS. So this option only exists when using an X64 DVD.
|>> So my guess right now is that an installed Windows XP SP2 x86 edition
will
|>> meet the compliance check for the X64 when you boot to the X64 dvd,
but
|>> have some work to do before I can test that. I didn't want to wipe
one
of
|>> my x64 machine right now if I didn't have to.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

upgrade
|>> they
|>> run
|>> |>
|>> message
|>> for
|>> but

|>> rights

Colin Barnhorst

That has to be a safe assumption. He had to have meant the Vista x64 dvd
since XP Pro x64 is on a cd and there are no upgrade keys for XP Pro x64 in
any case. Agree?

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

OS.
|>> Then it allows me to do a clean installation.
|>> If I do the same thing with a X86 DVD ( boot to the DVD and enter an
|>> Upgrade product key) I am told I have to start setup from with-in an
|>> existing OS. So this option only exists when using an X64 DVD.
|>> So my guess right now is that an installed Windows XP SP2 x86 edition
will
|>> meet the compliance check for the X64 when you boot to the X64 dvd,
but
|>> have some work to do before I can test that. I didn't want to wipe
one
of
|>> my x64 machine right now if I didn't have to.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

John Barnes

Yes. I agree. Those were the reasons I asked the question. Seems to mean
you can complete a custom install of a 64-bit version with a qualifying
update key from the DVD but you still must have the qualifying os installed.