Windows Vista Vista is it worth all the trouble???

Reaction score
Well guys and gals that’s it as far as I am concerned.:wall:

Vista is the worse OS since ME in fact I would go as far as to say it is the biggest load of crap I have ever used as an OS.

Slow is not the word it has nearly come to a stop so before it do stop I have gone back to XP.

XP is so cool in comparison I have been on XP all morning installed all the updates and it is running like a dream. BOINC is running and that to me is very important.

I have now taken the decision to kick Vista into dusty bin.

Many friends who are quite good at IT have said the same they are of the same attitude as myself Vista is bloody awful but unlike myself they have no option as their employ forces them to use Vista but at home they use XP.

My spec is as follows.

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

CPU AMD AM2 5600+ Running @ 2.8 [not OC]

3Gig ram

3x160g HDD`s 1x IDE 2x SATA.

Its like I say> If MS ever make anything that does not suck it will be a vacuum cleaner.:nod:

Reaction score
Oh forgot to say even Sony give you the opption of downgrading from Vista to XP:nod: So what does that tell you:rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh dear oh dear, another happy Microsoft customer :D

Well, what can I say?

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 Bit on the system shown in my signature and it works fine.

The only area where it's slower as far as I can tell is opening all the folders on a hard drive other than the one the OS is installed on for the first time each session.

It is flawed, I agree, and 64 Bit, for me, was full of problems but I have to say, all in all, 32 bit version not too bad.

I think Vista will actually be bypassed by lots of people and they'll be waiting for the next Microsoft offering before changing from XP.

I'm not going to attempt to defend Vista, merely say as I see :)

Reaction score
As you know FBS I took a while to decide to go with Vista at the start it were fine, fast, nice tools, but now it is so so slow in many aspects and the flaws are just way to many to mention I am not annoyed I am just a wee bit Pis##d off with MS and as for Sony offering a downgrade option well need I say more:wave:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I always said I wouldn't be downgrading to Vista, and I still stick by that..:nod:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Sometimes i hate it and sometimes it runs fine and i like it, but when it chooses not to play nice then i just wanna smash my PC.

I had Vista on my Numba 2 PC as well as Numba 1 but my girlfriend gets madder at it than me so numba 2 now has XP Pro.

Oh am using the flawed 64 bit of Home Premium, was really crappy when i first had it but now its only a little crappy.

But then again it all depends on whether it got enough sleep.

Its favourite trick at the moment is to give me a nice blue screen then do a physical data dump and blame it on the memory.

I ain't that stoopid, its brand new! Works in my other PC and in my brothers PCs, who conveniently enough has purchased the apartment next door to me (the wierdo).

Love it or hate it but it looks nice.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
With the lmitations XP has with todays hardware I have no intention of returning to XP. ;)

Why not put the blame where it lays ... nVidia, ATI, Creative, Realtec, Logitech, Sony, etc, etc, etc ... :rolleyes:

:user:

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
was really crappy when i first had it but now its only a little crappy.

But then again it all depends on whether it got enough sleep.

Was that Vista or your girlfriend..??:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
With the lmitations XP has with todays hardware I have no intention of returning to XP. ;)

Why not put the blame where it lays ... nVidia, ATI, Creative, Realtec, Logitech, Sony, etc, etc, etc ... :rolleyes:

:user:

Now that's not exactly true.

Really, trying to defend Microsoft is akin to being the defence solicitor for Darth Vader or Hitler.

Do a Google for their rather underhanded business practices and countless instances of preaching to the end user you'll do it the Microsoft way or not at all and you may start to understand just a little.

As I understand it, so engrossed were Microsoft with the seven year incubation of their new baby that they somewhat overlooked to keep all the hardware manufacturers informed of it's development and any coding that may be needed for the hardware manufacturer's to supply new drivers.

With the result that when Vista was eventually thrown to an expectant public, hardware drivers were, to put it mildly, somewhat thin on the ground.

Also, in one fell swoop, when Microsoft released Vista they made thousands of Printers, Scanners, Sound cards, NIC cards - you name it - redundant to new Vista users. My HP Photosmart printer being just one example.

Oh, nice going Microsoft, yes, we all really want to splash out more money on brand new peripherals don't we?

As at this moment, drivers are available from ATI and Nvidia for most Video cards including a great deal of cards five years old and over.

The only villain as far as I can see amongst hardware manufacturers is Creative who took the oppurtunity when they realised Vista made their old cards useless to try and force a new generation of sound cards upon a public who were really quite satisfied with their current sound cards, thank you very much.

Unluckily for Creative, one maverick writer out there - our Daniel san - showed that drivers could be written for older Creative cards to work within Vista - my X-Fi Audio being one of those cards.

No, from where I'm sitting Microsoft are the villain of the piece, not the likes of ATI & Nvidia.

And Vista is imperfect, in certain areas it just chugs whereas XP flies. Plus it's filled with so much nannying crap it's as if Microsoft felt all of it's users were going to be complete fools and had to wrap them in cotton wool.

And let's not mention Games eh? Overnight, if you installed Vista, a good percentage of your games collection was just so much boot sale fodder. Although to be fair, that criticism can be levelled at previous Microsoft 'upgrades'.

Nope, the person who tries to defend Microsoft has about zero chance of success.

All we can do - if we want to run the latest games and quite a lot of other software - is install Vista, grit our teeth, put up with the slowness in certain areas and try to see the good points of Vista. Hell, we paid for it so we're going to enjoy it - right?

And the good points of Vista are...................... it looks good :blush:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And Vista is imperfect, in certain areas it just chugs whereas XP flies. Plus it's filled with so much nannying crap it's as if Microsoft felt all of it's users were going to be complete fools and had to wrap them in cotton wool.

And the good points of Vista are...................... it looks good :blush:

I couldn't agree more Flopps lol :thumb:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Vista lasted a month then got irritating...so XP Home is back on and all is good .

Ask a Question