    I get the message at startup: "BOOTMGR is missing, press CTR ALT DEL to
    restart". Even if I remove the harddrive on which Vista is installed!

    Is something changed in the BIOS?

    hanhare, Jun 20, 2007

  2. Install XP first, then install Vista.

    --

    MAXIMUMpcguides.com
    Helping you get the MOST out of your Vista PC.

    UnswoleLilDude, Jun 20, 2007

  3. hanhare

    Peter Guest

    One should always install the systems in ascending order, i.e. oldest system
    first.

    However there are ways of getting around it. See:
    http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=607987
    and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529 also
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/558994-how-install-xp-after-vista.html

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada

    Peter, Jun 20, 2007
  4. hanhare

    andy Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:17:19 +0200, "hanhare" <>
    wrote:

    >My computer has two SATA harddrives. At the one harddrive Vista is
    >installed, the other harddrive is empty but formatted NFTTS..
    >
    >Now I try to install XP at the second drive. But whatever I try, every time
    >I get the message at startup: "BOOTMGR is missing, press CTR ALT DEL to
    >restart". Even if I remove the harddrive on which Vista is installed!

    Sounds like you're booting from the hard drive, which has the Vista
    boot sector that's looking for bootmgr.

    andy, Jun 20, 2007