Windows Vista Vista ... and IE7

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nice innit ... yes, you heard me right, I'm using IE7 :p

What a big difference ClearType makes, if only for this reason, I may just stick with it ... :nod:

First of all you need to setup Clear Type for your monitor, if you have a CRT monitor forget it, this is for LCD/TFTs only ... pop along HERE and just follow the instructions ... if you bookmark the page, you can go back and re-adjust as you like.

Now, go turn on Clear Type in IE7 ... Tool's menu, Internet Options, Advanced (Tab), then scroll down and tick 'Use Clear Type'. Sorted. :thumb:

There are some other "nice" things in IE7 I like too ... it is a lot more secure than IE6 and, now don't kill the messenger, more secure than Firefox 2 ... though a lot has to do with your web browsing habits, however, I do like the anti-Phishing Filter ... it works! :D

More praise ... :eek: yup ... Tabs, they group together, so when I open a link or am doing something from the forum, the Tab opens right next to the one already open and not on the far right of 20 or so other tabs ... well I have had that many open once. ;)

I can "see" what I'm typing too, the text does seem out of proportion to the rest of the web page, quite large looking, but hey, that does me just dandy with my eyes these days.

Now what else was there ... I'll get back to you on that. :thumb:

Now, some bits I don't like ... or shall I say, annoy me.

The spell checker, IeSpell ... how do you get it to work? ... err, skip that one, I just figured it out. right-click DOH! Still, it would be nice if it worked as you type, as in Firefox. ;)

The Tabs ... big buggers ain't they, you ain't gonna trip over them on a dark night. It is a slight advantage for me, again because I can "see" them plain as day, but they do look a tad on the large side.

Well that's about it for that ... I have also set-up Outlook Express, err, sorry, I mean Windows Mail ... now that I do like, not because there is anything radically different from OE ... except ... the "Junk E-Mail" filter ... it just chokes me up every time I get a crap email to see it ceremonially dumped into that folder ... I love it. HAHAHA

More to come ... :wave:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Oh, one point here ... if you have several tabs open, and need to re-start IE7 as you will if you turn on Clear Type, click the little Tab in the window that pops up ... "do you wan't to close all tabs" ... and click "show options" ... Enjoy!

Did you know ... you can have several Home Pages all at the same time. :nod:

Reaction score
This is to much info Muckshifter for a Sunday afternoon:p
I may use IE7, just i don't understand most of it:blush:

PS: Drinking a pint of Sheppy's cider as a Sunday afternoon treat whilst surfing & watching the rugby, cheers;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there Mucks, it's interesting to follow your experiences using Vista :nod: but on the subject of Windows Mail, it's great to have junk mail diverted, but I just wondered whether it's possible to set the junk filter to prevent over-zealous dumping of mail? I'm thinking of newsletters that one has signed-up for, and some of the forwarded jokey stuff, which friends pass on. Is the dumped mail retrievable?

Sounds as if you are impressed with Vista so far:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Hi there Mucks, it's interesting to follow your experiences using Vista
nod.gif
but on the subject of Windows Mail, it's great to have junk mail diverted, but I just wondered whether it's possible to set the junk filter to prevent over-zealous dumping of mail? I'm thinking of newsletters that one has signed-up for, and some of the forwarded jokey stuff, which friends pass on. Is the dumped mail retrievable?

Sounds as if you are impressed with Vista so far:)
Yep, easily retrievable ... it goes into its own folder, if that happens to a legitimate email you want to keep, simply mark it "not junk" and all subsequent email from that address should then drop into your inbox automatically.

Oh, and I now also have a "spam filter" after installing Kaspersky Internet Security ... not sure I need both. :lol:

Rats, IeSpell ain't workin, something broke ... excuse spelling errors.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you Mucks, that's helpful :thumb: We're want to get a new set up this year, so it's useful to read your first-hand views about Vista, because at the moment it's hard to think of moving on from good old XP Pro, which is so "bomb proof" :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thank you Mucks, that's helpful :thumb: We're want to get a new set up this year, so it's useful to read your first-hand views about Vista, because at the moment it's hard to think of moving on from good old XP Pro, which is so "bomb proof" :D
Yeah, right ... you do need an arsenal of "other" programs to keep the little nasties at bay. :D

Stay tuned for more snippets ... I got loads more to say. :lol:

What would you give Vista out of 10, so far Muckshifter
hmmm, well ... we can't be too hasty, and, nobody in their right mind will ever give "top marks" but ... I like it more everyday. For now, I'll give it 6 out of 10 ... expect that to increase as I learn more. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Blimey :eek:

You is liking both Vista and IE7?

Good gawd.

Did you not roundly slag off IE7 previously as I did myself?

Maybe it only works well in Vista cos it sure as hell don't work well in XP.

I shall be keeping an eye on this thread with an open mind.

Main thing I want to know about though is Games and Vista.

muckshifter

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Blimey :eek:

You is liking both Vista and IE7?

Good gawd.

Did you not roundly slag off IE7 previously as I did myself?

Maybe it only works well in Vista cos it sure as hell don't work well in XP.

I shall be keeping an eye on this thread with an open mind.

Main thing I want to know about though is Games and Vista.
Yep ... you caught me, I did slag it off, big time, especially when it refused point blank to work in the Beta Vista I have ... seems they "fixed" it.

I dunno about IE7 on XP, I'm still using Firefox on that PC. :D

As for Games, can't help you much there, unless you want to send over your complete collection for evaluation ;) I only have one installed at the moment ... Guild Wars ... and apart from the initial install, haven't got round to "testing" how well it will/does/don't play.

Still "tinkering" around on the other bits-n-bobs. There are some nice touches in Vista, the Sniping Tool is simple & powerful ... more on them "toys" in some later post.

:thumb:

Ask a Question