Windows Vista Vista and default browsers

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Firefox (version 2.0.0.3) is the default browser on my Vista PC, but certain links that I click on, bring up IE7. I changed all the appropriate settings to make Firefox the default (and that is normally enough on the XP PCs, which never produce the same phenomenon) so, is this a quirk of Vista do we know?

The website links that seem to produce IE7 include BOINC and Yahoo - it is just a minor annoyance, but I wondered whether this was happening to anyone else please?

Thank you :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
:D

Actually, I have the revers 'problem' to you ... I primarily use IE7 and on the very odd occasion, well only one, when I use a link in Spy Sweeper up pops Firefox ... most annoying.

I know how to 'fix' my problem ... uninstall Firefox. :lol:

Now I bet that surprised a lot of you ... :nod:

I must have a dig around now I see someone else with this err, hiccup. :thumb:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ooh Mucks, you're surely not being a traitor to good 'ol Firefox? :lol: Still, it's helpful to know that this happens to others and isn't just me ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Ooh Mucks, you're surely not being a traitor to good 'ol Firefox?
laughingsmiley.gif
Still, it's helpful to know that this happens to others and isn't just me ;)
Nope, I ain't a traitor, just using the best tool for the job ... :nod:

OK, you ain't alone, there are hundreds out there with the same 'problem' as yourself.

Try this ...

go to ... Start / Control Panel / Programs / Default Programs

now click ... Set your Default Programs ... Click on Firefox & click Choose defaults for this program ... click all the boxes.

A little word ... this may still not "fix" your problems, IE7 is intertwined into Vista. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh I'm sorry Mucks, I should have said in my original post, that I've done that also .... didn't work though :( As for the IE7 entwining, I sort-of wondered whether that might be the cast. Oh well, not to worry... I guess IE7 deserves a "turn" now and again :D Thank you Mucks :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
oh, sorry, I will do a more in-depth search the morrow ... but I think, from my initial findings, that IE7 will pop up from time to time anyway.

It may be persuaded to go to sleep though. ;)

You may think I was joking about now only using IE7, but I have found it as good as, if not slightly better, than FF ... not that will twist anybodies arms here though. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I think IE7 is a happier bunny in Vista and I don't really mind using it now and then, on that machine. I found it a bit more hit-and-miss on the XP PCs - on XP-Pro, I've had to revert to IE6, but on XP-Home, it works happily enough. Strange that. But it was really just curiosity that motivated me to ask my original question ........ and you know what curiosity did to cats!! :lol:

Ask a Question