Vista Activation Prompt after flashing BIOS

I have recently received the vista activation prompt after flashing my
motherboard BIOS with the latest version from DELL.

The only other things I have done today is downclocked my 7900GS to prevent
overheating (not a new card, oem from dell).

I exited a game of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and was greeted by the activation prompt
stating windows has detected a hardware change.

I understand that i can call microsoft on this issue to reactivate, however
this is a bug and needs to be fixed.

No Hardware was changed and both system tweaks (downclocking and flashing
BIOS are recommended by DELL and NVIDIA and my right). There is evidently
something wrong with the detection scheme.

Particularly since I shelled out for VISTA ultimate.

You can not bypass activation, contact MS
--
Regards
Bob J

Mr. Arnold

"Frustrated loyal customer" <Frustrated loyal
I have recently received the vista activation prompt after flashing my
motherboard BIOS with the latest version from DELL.

That probably did it.

What good is complaining here going to do for you?

Just call MS to have it activate it and be happy. There is no sense in
getting your blood pressure up about it. Life is too short and then you
die. So, don't get there any faster than you need to.

Rick Rogers

Hi,

While I don't disagree with you, keep in mind that a BIOS update is a change
of the instruction set written to the CMOS chip on the motherboard, one of
the basic components of any system and one that generally is not changed by
the average consumer. The activation scheme simply cannot tell that the
hardware has not changed, it simply sees a new set of instructions which can
easily be interpreted as a change in hardware.

I do think that the current activation scheme is too sensitive, overreacting
to things like this and driver updates. I'm hoping they eventually find a
happy medium that both reduces piracy and keeps the inconveniences on the
user to a minimum. In my opinion, activation should not interfere with the
user experience on a properly licensed machine, but currently it does with
too much regularity.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Frustrated loyal customer" <Frustrated loyal
news:[email protected]...

Alias

Rick said:
[...]

And once again paying customers are inconvenienced and the pirates are
not affected one iota. Instead of discouraging piracy, these features
lead people to alternative OSs.

Sad.

Alias

Alias

Mr. Arnold said:
"Frustrated loyal customer" <Frustrated loyal

That probably did it.

What good is complaining here going to do for you?

Just call MS to have it activate it and be happy. There is no sense in
getting your blood pressure up about it. Life is too short and then you
die. So, don't get there any faster than you need to.

You're right, life is short and one should not have to take the time out
of this short life to prove one bought something over and over and over
and over again.

Alias

Frank

Alias said:
And once again paying customers are inconvenienced and the pirates are
not affected one iota. Instead of discouraging piracy, these features
lead people to alternative OSs.

Sad.

Alias

No that's not true at all. Activation stops "casual piracy"...a practice
that heretofore had been rather prevalent amongst Windows users. "Casual
piracy" stops a legitimate Vista OS owner from "loaning" his copy to
anyone., i.e. friends, relatives, neighbors, etc..
Activation has put a sudden and most complete stop to "casual piracy".
After all, you yourself can't get a "loaner" to install Vista on your
machine, so activation is working to stop "casual piracy".
Also having to re-activate is not really near the hassle you would like
to make it out to be.
Frank

Alias

Frank said:
No that's not true at all. Activation stops "casual piracy"...a practice
that heretofore had been rather prevalent amongst Windows users. "Casual
piracy" stops a legitimate Vista OS owner from "loaning" his copy to
anyone., i.e. friends, relatives, neighbors, etc..

People inclined to do that now use cracked copies. Oops.
Activation has put a sudden and most complete stop to "casual piracy".

People inclined to do that now use cracked copies. Oops.
After all, you yourself can't get a "loaner" to install Vista on your
machine, so activation is working to stop "casual piracy".
Also having to re-activate is not really near the hassle you would like
to make it out to be.
Frank

It's an insult to every paying customer and does nothing to stop piracy
be it casual or for profit.

Alias

Frank

Alias said:
People inclined to do that now use cracked copies. Oops.

That's not "casual piracy".
Oooooppppssss!!!

People inclined to do that now use cracked copies. Oops.
That's not "casual piracy".
Oooooppppssss!!!
It's an insult to every paying customer and does nothing to stop piracy
be it casual or for profit.

Oh? It may be an insult to someone like you but guess again because
activation has stopped "casual piracy". Like it or not.
It stopped you didn't it?
You have a really hard time accepting the truth don't you?
Frank

Alias

Frank said:
That's not "casual piracy".
Oooooppppssss!!!

You're an idiot. Once the casual "pirates" found out they couldn't
share, they went for cracked copies.
That's not "casual piracy".
Oooooppppssss!!!

You're an idiot. Once the casual "pirates" found out they couldn't
share, they went for cracked copies
Oh? It may be an insult to someone like you but guess again because
activation has stopped "casual piracy". Like it or not.
It stopped you didn't it?

How can it stop me when I pay for all the software I use?
You have a really hard time accepting the truth don't you?
Frank

When it's the truth, yes. Most things you post are lies so, naturally,
there can't be accepted.

Alias

Frank

Alias said:
You're an idiot. Once the casual "pirates" found out they couldn't
share, they went for cracked copies.

You're an idiot. Once the casual "pirates" found out they couldn't
share, they went for cracked copies

hahaha...nope...doesn't work that way pal. Activation has put a sudden
stop to "casual piracy", like it or not. It stopped you didn't it?
How can it stop me when I pay for all the software I use?

According to your own post, (you didn't lie did you?), you refuse or
can't afford, to pay $800USD for Vista. Is that correct or were you lying?
So it stopped you from being a "casual pirate".
When it's the truth, yes.

Exactly what I was saying. You have a very hard time accepting the truth
when you don't like the answer.
Thanks for coming clean!
Frank

Adam Albright

No that's not true at all. Activation stops "casual piracy"...a practice
that heretofore had been rather prevalent amongst Windows users. "Casual
piracy" stops a legitimate Vista OS owner from "loaning" his copy to
anyone., i.e. friends, relatives, neighbors, etc..
Activation has put a sudden and most complete stop to "casual piracy".
After all, you yourself can't get a "loaner" to install Vista on your
machine, so activation is working to stop "casual piracy".
Also having to re-activate is not really near the hassle you would like
to make it out to be.
Frank

Thanks for sharing how morons like you think Frankie. Bill Gates is on
record saying not only he doesn't mind if hoards of Chinese STEAL
Windows now, hoping some day in the distant future the majority of
Chinese users will convert from warez versions of Windows to actually
buying a legitimate copy, he PREFERS they steal Windows now over
stealing something else in the hope some day they will become buyers.

As far as piracy, NOTHING Microsoft has done or could do will stop
wholesale piracy, ie hackers that have now and always could 'steal'
Windows and easily and quickly get past any so-called protection
scheme without hardly trying. Again Billy Boy Gates is on record
saying that isn't the purpose of Microsoft half-ass "activation"
scheme. Microsoft officials have long ago conceited they can't stop
hackers.

You did get it right that Microsoft targets mom and pop Joe Average
types and prefers to make them buy extra copies of Windows so dad
can't copy the same Windows disc to his laptop or junior to his box
to play games.

The point of this exercise is for people to know just what you fanboy
idiots support. That is a greedy uncaring multi-national company that
knowingly looks the other way as tens of millions openly steal it's
software in China and in other third world countries, while recovering
that loss in potential sales by forcing mostly Americas and European
countries to cough up more cash for extra copies of Windows that
probably get used casually at best.

Aren't you proud of yourself for supporting such unethical practices
Frankie? I bet you are.

Alias

Frank said:
hahaha...nope...doesn't work that way pal. Activation has put a sudden
stop to "casual piracy", like it or not. It stopped you didn't it?

I never use or used pirated software. I can afford not to.
According to your own post, (you didn't lie did you?), you refuse or
can't afford, to pay $800USD for Vista.

Refuse is the correct term. The thread where you gleamed this from was
about the big difference in Vista pricing between the USA and Europe.
You then ran with it making up stories about my financial wherewithal
like the sick puppy you really are. If I wanted to buy Vista, I would
first wait until the dust settles and then kindly ask a relative of mine
to send me a cheap copy from the USA. You, of course, only skewered that
to make me look stupid and a liar to further your sick view of reality.

Is that correct or were you lying?
So it stopped you from being a "casual pirate".

I've never been a "casual pirate", sorry.
Exactly what I was saying. You have a very hard time accepting the truth
when you don't like the answer.
Thanks for coming clean!
Frank

That was a typo and you know it but nice try at reaching for straws (again).

Alias

Frank

Alias said:
That was a typo and you know it but nice try at reaching for straws
(again).

Alias

Nah...that was clearly an admission of truth from you or at the very
least a Freudian slip.
Either way it was very telling...lol.
Frank

Charlie Tame

Frank said:
No that's not true at all. Activation stops "casual piracy"...a practice
that heretofore had been rather prevalent amongst Windows users. "Casual
piracy" stops a legitimate Vista OS owner from "loaning" his copy to
anyone., i.e. friends, relatives, neighbors, etc..
Activation has put a sudden and most complete stop to "casual piracy".
After all, you yourself can't get a "loaner" to install Vista on your
machine, so activation is working to stop "casual piracy".
Also having to re-activate is not really near the hassle you would like
to make it out to be.
Frank

Try a bit of history Frank. The reason MS got where it is today is
BECAUSE there was no piracy protection to speak of, that is the very
reason Windows found it's way onto so many enthusiast's desktops. People
generally don't mind paying for something they can feel like they own,
but when the beast keeps calling you a thief you want rid of it and will
look elsewhere.

Now, we have a situation where for "Security Reasons" 64 bit Vista
drivers have to be signed, 32 bit you are "Warned" they may be insecure.
How long then before ALL non MS software has to be signed or won't
work? You may consoder this "Different" than DRM or WGA / and
activation but I don't, all are being touted as "Security" measures but
had the ability to do far more. Add to this MS' new patent which places
an "Approved" trojan horse on the machine for advertising purposes and
what have you got? An OS that shuts down if you happen to install
something that MS doesn't like. Someone in a recent thread was forced to
reactivate due to a BIOS upgrade recommended by his PC manufacturer.
Even Dell now require MS approval. Then you wonder why by popular demand
people supply Linux on request. What's due to ship to third world
schools etc? The $100 laptop >

which coincidentally is powered by Linux because no doubt MS wanted too
much for an OS. Imagine that, all those young kids who will soon be the
major market for new PCs and all of them cutting their teeth on Linux.

MS is shooting itself in the foot and ably assisted by you and some
associates here.

Frank

Charlie said:
Try a bit of history Frank.

Try a bit of 'corporate' history Charlie. When corporations are first
formed they will take all risks and do most anything to gain market
share. When and if they become successful they all become
protectionists...it's a survivalists instinct.

They circle their wagons to protect what they have fought so hard for
and what they took huge risks in order to gain. Risk taking for the
successful is then moved way down the lists of "must do's".
All large surviving corporations have exhibited exactly this same
behavior for decades in our capitalistic society.

The reason MS got where it is today is
BECAUSE there was no piracy protection to speak of, that is the very
reason Windows found it's way onto so many enthusiast's desktops.

Exactly what I explained above.

People
generally don't mind paying for something they can feel like they own,
but when the beast keeps calling you a thief you want rid of it and will
look elsewhere.

Sorry, but that's not a feeling shared by the general computing public.
It is not factually nor statistically correct. If you truly believe it
to be correct, then substantiate it with well documented statistical
evidence that can be shared, ok?
Now, we have a situation where for "Security Reasons" 64 bit Vista
drivers have to be signed, 32 bit you are "Warned" they may be insecure.

That will all disappear when drivers are mature and have been digitally
signed. But, who really cares? It's not really a problem.
How long then before ALL non MS software has to be signed or won't
work?

Give me break Charlie...most all of my legacy software already works in
Vista using compatibility mode if needed.

You may consoder this "Different" than DRM or WGA / and
activation but I don't, all are being touted as "Security" measures but
had the ability to do far more.

Really? You're that bothered by DRM/WGA and activation? Guess what,
you're in the minority...by far. I'm much more concerned about our
snooping government, credit card companies and even grocery stores who
know our every move!

Add to this MS' new patent which places
an "Approved" trojan horse on the machine for advertising purposes and
what have you got?

Uhhh...they've applied for a patent that you and I and all the rest of
the general public really have no idea what it is for, do we? We have
read some very biased speculation and that's all. Nor do we know if the
patent in question will even be grated, do we?

An OS that shuts down if you happen to install
something that MS doesn't like.

Never have seen anyone state that their Vista computer "shut down"
because they installed something "MS doesn't like". Got a link?
We do know some have had to re-activate because of bios or hardware changes.

Someone in a recent thread was forced to
reactivate due to a BIOS upgrade recommended by his PC manufacturer.
Even Dell now require MS approval.

Re-activation because of component upgrade is painless...and you know
that to be true.

Then you wonder why by popular demand
people supply Linux on request.

Not by popular demand, sorry but that's not why Dell is/was offering to
ship with linux. Dell has been experiencing loss of market share and
offering linux is a move to appeal to a bigger market and to hopefully
gain back lost market share. It's actually a move made out of desperation.

What's due to ship to third world

Yeah, great idea if it works.
which coincidentally is powered by Linux because no doubt MS wanted too
much for an OS.

Speculating are we Charlie? No article makes that claim.

Imagine that, all those young kids who will soon be the
major market for new PCs and all of them cutting their teeth on Linux.

Kind of like giving them all an etch-a-sketch and then they'll want
more. Don't think they'll be using any command lines nor downloading any
new packages or compiling any kernels. The proposed linux os is way, way
too simplified for anything like that. Ever hear of the Minitels in
France? Good example of a computing model that eventually played itself
out from about 1980-1990.
MS is shooting itself in the foot and ably assisted by you and some
associates here.

Well Charlie, you don't come off as having a whole lot of business
acumen and I sure as hell won't be betting the store on the outcome
you're willing to bet on.
As long as I can continue to make my substantial living using Window
OS's I'll do so cause I'm not willing to shoot myself in the foot in the
name of some ridiculous non-rewarding software cause called linux.
But hey, take that shot if you're so inclined.
Frank

Charlie Tame

Frank said:
[...]

So, according to Frank then "the general computing public" do mind
paying for things they would like to own and Frank of course has proof
and documentation that the said "general computing public" actually are
all thieves. Sound like a real winner for the MS publicity department
that does.

That will all disappear when drivers are mature and have been digitally
signed. But, who really cares? It's not really a problem.

It is to anyone who actually wants to USE the machine you idiot.

Give me break Charlie...most all of my legacy software already works in
Vista using compatibility mode if needed.

Read what I said again you f*ckwit.

You may consoder this "Different" than DRM or WGA / and

Really? You're that bothered by DRM/WGA and activation? Guess what,
you're in the minority...by far. I'm much more concerned about our
snooping government, credit card companies and even grocery stores who
know our every move!

No Frank, I'm not bothered by it one bit because I can instantly change
to several other operating systems, but a lot of IT people are bothered
enough to be thinking of changing thousands of machines and not
purchasing Vista at all. XP's lifecycle just might be Microsoft's
lifecycle too.

I've had 5 systems go down requiring re-activation now, 5/20 is a
minority but hardly insignificant. These iinstances were NOT a result of
any hardware changes, BIOS changes or anything else you idiots keep
trying to imply is someone else's fault. Fortunately none were doing
anything critical at the time. Three out of 5 were a result of automatic
reboots because Windows update was at the recommended setting of auto
install (They are not now so it's a lot more work for me) and two were
reboots after installing some software (Not suspicious at all eh).

Add to this MS' new patent which places

Uhhh...they've applied for a patent that you and I and all the rest of
the general public really have no idea what it is for, do we? We have
read some very biased speculation and that's all. Nor do we know if the
patent in question will even be grated, do we?

Like they swore that WGA would never become a kill switch. They didn't
lie, Activation became the kill switch.

An OS that shuts down if you happen to install

Never have seen anyone state that their Vista computer "shut down"
because they installed something "MS doesn't like". Got a link?
We do know some have had to re-activate because of bios or hardware
changes.

What the hell has the BIOS got to do with MS and why does a faulty disk
drive that I replace make me a thief? Anyway, you have seen someone
state that now because I just did.

Someone in a recent thread was forced to

Re-activation because of component upgrade is painless...and you know
that to be true.

You have 3 days to do as we tell you or we'll hose your computer is not
painless, it is blackmail and defamation.

Then you wonder why by popular demand

Not by popular demand, sorry but that's not why Dell is/was offering to
ship with linux. Dell has been experiencing loss of market share and
offering linux is a move to appeal to a bigger market and to hopefully
gain back lost market share. It's actually a move made out of desperation.

So they think Linux will make their machines more popular, which part of
popular demand are you unable to follow (or maybe swallow)?

What's due to ship to third world

Yeah, great idea if it works.

Speculating are we Charlie? No article makes that claim.

Not yet maybe, but you really should avoid getting into arguments about
Microsoft's generosity...

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/emergingtech/0,1000000183,2091645,00.htm

Imagine that, all those young kids who will soon be the

Kind of like giving them all an etch-a-sketch and then they'll want
more. Don't think they'll be using any command lines nor downloading any
new packages or compiling any kernels. The proposed linux os is way, way
too simplified for anything like that. Ever hear of the Minitels in
France? Good example of a computing model that eventually played itself
out from about 1980-1990.

That was 20 years ago, and while the model may be dead the first users
are probably now IT people looking to buy an OS they can work with :)

Well Charlie, you don't come off as having a whole lot of business
acumen and I sure as hell won't be betting the store on the outcome
you're willing to bet on.
As long as I can continue to make my substantial living using Window
OS's I'll do so cause I'm not willing to shoot myself in the foot in the
name of some ridiculous non-rewarding software cause called linux.
But hey, take that shot if you're so inclined.
Frank

I have enough business acumen not to put all my eggs in one basket
Frank, and considering you are the salesman for one product I might
consider purchasing in the future I don't hold out too much hope for
your MS pension.

Adam Albright

People

Sorry, but that's not a feeling shared by the general computing public.
It is not factually nor statistically correct. If you truly believe it
to be correct, then substantiate it with well documented statistical
evidence that can be shared, ok?

Frankie speaking on behalf of the general computing public? What a
hoot! Why didn't you give us documented statistical evidence to back
up your OPINION?

All you ever do is rant and rave and try to tell us what an expert you
are at everything. Truth meter...you said you run some nickel and dime
marketing company from home, probably off your kitchen table. Yet you
want us to believe you're one of the titans of Industry.

ROTFLMAO!
Well Charlie, you don't come off as having a whole lot of business
acumen and I sure as hell won't be betting the store on the outcome
you're willing to bet on.
As long as I can continue to make my substantial living using Window
OS's I'll do so cause I'm not willing to shoot myself in the foot in the
name of some ridiculous non-rewarding software cause called linux.
But hey, take that shot if you're so inclined.

Frankie, if your spread your crap any deeper, you'd be required to
hand out hip boots to everyone. You're nothing but a BS artist and
you're not even any good at that.

Explain how you make this phantom "substantial living" using Windows.
Put your best bullshit right here =====>

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Charlie Tame wrote:

Consider if you were a developing country. You want to build skills
and infrastructure, but you want to empower your own ppl to do these
things and make the money, right?

Choosing open source over commercial sware is choosing to spend time
building skills as opposed to spending money to have someone else
provide an off-the-peg solution for you.

A developing country doesn't have money to spend, unless they borrow
it (and usually, to buy stuff from the lenders). But it does have the
need to build skills, so open source solutions may make more sense.

So yes; raising a generation who have been immersed in software they
can edit and extend may be a sharp move, and could even see them
leap-frog the rest of us if the commercial world gets too greedy and
restrictive to live with, or if geo-political concerns make it a bad
idea to source "closed" IT sware from certain countries.

I'm looking at the tech industry, and it seems to me that it is
becoming post-mature.

Whereas in the exciting days, things were being invented for the first
time that made things possible, most of today's efforts go into
crippling what is now naturally possible (e.g. embedding DRM to
prevent cost-free duplication and spread of information), or
artificially limiting value (e.g. one "ultimate" fits all, unless you
don't pay enough and we limit what you can have).

If that trend continues, then Vista could just be the last acceptable
Windows, or the last relevant Windows.

Acceptable, if we still use general-purpose PCs but the vendor's
EUL"A" terms and conditions become intolerable.

Irrelevant, if we've all switched to SaaS (Software as a Service)
and/or dedicated sub-PC devices by then.

------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
The bulls were running wild
because they're big and mean and sacred (Jack J)

Mr. Arnold

Alias said:
You're right, life is short and one should not have to take the time out
of this short life to prove one bought something over and over and over
and over again.

You should take it up with MS, because I am not MS. The world will continue
to turn with or without you and your concerns.

I have noticed that you post just a little too much, along with you and
several others that frequent this NG. You need to get a life, before the
world stops turning for you. I don't want you posting to me period about
nothing, because you don't have anything to say or is of interest to me.

You're someone that should be avoided.