Vista 64 says it's activated, but not genuine

Dale M. White

Is there any bug(s) floating around with the Activation\WGA right now ?

I've got the MSDN version of Vista32 and Vista64 installed (on the same PC),
I used it on Monday and all was well) Booted to it today and it tells me I'm
not genuine. When I try to go through the process of activating (as
suggested) it says it's already activated, but then goes back to not being
Genuine. I get in a loop of sorts, as the web links I follow tells me I need
to activate first.

I called the 800 MS support number, but that was for activating, which I
don't get the option to do, so the fellow sent me to MS tech support, since
it's saying it's already activated and has been so for a few months.

Before I spend a lot of energy on this, I thought I would peak in and see if
anyone else is having oddness with the Validation process today. If so, I'll
just boot back to XP and try again later this week

Oddly enough, the Vista 32 install (which uses the same product key)
Validates just fine. Also odd, is on the V64 machine I have office 2003
installed, which is uses our Corporate VL license and under Vista 64 it
tells me that License as been revoked, but again, it passes fine on Vista 32
and XP.

I tried the obvious of telling Vista, I wanted to re-enter my Product key,
which works (or is accepted) but still no validation. Is there a way to make
windows un-activated, so I can go through the full activate process and
hopefully get this going again

Thanks

Richard Urban

Do you realize Dale that the same product key can not be used for an install
of both 64 bit and 32 bit Vista. The key is for one or the other.

Maybe that is what is throwing you a monkey wrench. They validated OK, but
that was some time ago I presume. Now one of them will not pass WGA because
the key is seen as being used already. A long shot, but this is what may be
happening.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Richard Urban

Shucks, Delayed reaction. I just realized that you are using MSDN keys.
Don't know if this would enter into the mix after all.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Mike Matheny

After serious thinking Richard Urban wrote :
Do you realize Dale that the same product key can not be used for an install
of both 64 bit and 32 bit Vista. The key is for one or the other.

Maybe that is what is throwing you a monkey wrench. They validated OK, but
that was some time ago I presume. Now one of them will not pass WGA because
the key is seen as being used already. A long shot, but this is what may be
happening.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

I'm pretty sure you get 10 simultaneous activations with the MSDN
subscriptions. I don't think that's the issue.

Dale M. White

Yeah, like Mike stated in his Post, It's suppose to be good for 10
activations, so I'm guessing, I would still have 8 left.

Oddly enough, this has been my config since Feb, so I don't know why now it
would suddenly be a problem. I have a feeling that I could probably format
re-install and fix it, but I'm being lazy at the moment.

I'm hoping to find out a eaiser fix, like the one you found out after your
did a format re-install to resolve the spybot IE7 update issue.

Richard Urban

Did you "just recently" update the SATA driver from Windows Update? Was it
for Silicon Image chipset?

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Dale White

Yes, I did, but it was the Nforce 4 Sata driver, At which time, it re-added
(found new hardware) the Western Digital Raptor drive, which is where XP is
intalled (and is the primary boot drive) My Vista installs are on a separate
maxtor drive but same controller

I ran that same update on Vista 32 and it also re-added the WD drive.

You thinking that somehow screwed up the hard drive IDs, making it appear
that I switch drives or its on a new system ?

Dale M. White

:: Shakes fists at Microsoft !! :::

Your hunch was correct Richard, after a little dorking around, I was able to
reload the original Nvidia Vista drivers (ver 15.00) for my motherboard,
namely the SMbus and now Vista 64 is all happy again

This also makes sense of something I was wondering about, My GF's system
also uses a Nforce 4 board and I also applied all the updates to her system
and I noticed yesterday, that she was getting a "You must activate your
windows" message. She's been using this system for about 3 months now. I'm
guessing since that system is running the Vista Enterprise edition with a VL
key, that is why it didn't have a problem with re-activating\Validating. I
was wondering why she got that message out of the blue, since it was a VL
install and we didn't make any hardware changes.

Guess I'll think twice before applying those "optional" updates. Though it's
a bit strange and I think MS needs to loosen up that WGA grip, if loading a
driver can cause Windows to become invalid, especially when it's their
driver (well kind of I guess)

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Dale,
Then it should show as not-activated
Open an Elevated CMD prompt:
run slmgr -dlv all
Report back the output.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Dale White" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista 64 says it's activated, but not genuine
|>Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 18:59:45 -0400
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>

|>Yes, I did, but it was the Nforce 4 Sata driver, At which time, it
re-added
|>(found new hardware) the Western Digital Raptor drive, which is where XP
is
|>intalled (and is the primary boot drive) My Vista installs are on a
separate
|>maxtor drive but same controller
|>
|>I ran that same update on Vista 32 and it also re-added the WD drive.
|>
|>You thinking that somehow screwed up the hard drive IDs, making it appear
|>that I switch drives or its on a new system ?

Was
|>> it for Silicon Image chipset?
|>>

|>> --
|>>

|>> Regards,
|>>
|>> Richard Urban
|>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|>> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
|>>
|>> Quote from George Ankner:
|>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
|>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

Product

Dale M. White

Well, I have a screenshot that says it's activated, but it doesn't have the
"Not Genuine" pop-up in it, so I'm guessing that won't do you any good.

As you might have seen from my other post, I was able to fix the problem, by
reverting to the previous driver. But I'm more then willing to try and break
it again, if you can tell me how to get the Windowsupdate driver to install
again.

This is the driver that showed loaded
NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

Installation date: ?5/?12/?2007 8:59 AM
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Optional
NVIDIA Corporation Storage software update released in December, 2006
More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20028236

Since it shows successfully downloaded\installed, I'm guessing that's why
I'm not getting the option to re-install it again. And I don't see an option
to un-install it from the "Installed Updates" window

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Dale,
Then it should show as not-activated
Open an Elevated CMD prompt:
run slmgr -dlv all
Report back the output.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Dale White" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista 64 says it's activated, but not genuine
|>Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 18:59:45 -0400
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>

|>Yes, I did, but it was the Nforce 4 Sata driver, At which time, it
re-added
|>(found new hardware) the Western Digital Raptor drive, which is where XP
is
|>intalled (and is the primary boot drive) My Vista installs are on a
separate
|>maxtor drive but same controller
|>
|>I ran that same update on Vista 32 and it also re-added the WD drive.
|>
|>You thinking that somehow screwed up the hard drive IDs, making it
appear
|>that I switch drives or its on a new system ?

Was
|>> it for Silicon Image chipset?
|>>

|>> --
|>>

|>> Regards,
|>>
|>> Richard Urban
|>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|>> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
|>>
|>> Quote from George Ankner:
|>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
|>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

64
it

Product

Richard Urban

When I updated the SATA driver for my nForce 2 M/B (Silicon Image chipset)
the exact same thing happened. Even though the system was showing as
activated it failed WGA repeatedly. I was not given an opportunity to
reactivate.

I went back to a previous TrueImage system image that I had created the day
prior. Just for the heck of it I tried it again with the same results. I was
not able to repair the damage done.

I again went back to the previous image. Then I his the offending driver so
I would not be tempted to install it, yet again.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Richard Urban

The problem is this, I believe. When the new SATA driver is installed, and
you reboot, the O/S thinks that you have installed it to a new drive. I read
somewhere that a new drive is worth 10 points toward a time out. The bigger
problem is that you are not allowed to correct for the condition.

I have posted about this same problem extensively about 3-5 weeks ago when
it first happen to me.

I wish someone from M/S would contact me so that we can work this out. I see
many getting tapped by this update.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Dale M. White

Maybe you should reply to Darrell Gorter[MSFT] message.

I'm trying to reproduce the problem, but since I don't have an image to
restore. I'm not having much luck getting it to fail again. Wish there was a
way I could manual download and install that driver it's using.

I would have to think, with 40 million copies sold (Bill's numbers, not
mine), more than you and I are getting bit by this.

Richard Urban

A manual install causes the same problem.

I am in the process of rebuilding my system in trouble shooting yet another
problem (the KB931768 I.E. security update from 5/8/07). I installed all the
updated drivers before I first reactivated the system. This way it will not
cause me a future problem.

If you have no discernable problem with your installation - refrain from
updating drivers, especially if they have to do with the disk subsystem.

Richard Urban said:
The problem is this, I believe. When the new SATA driver is installed,
and you reboot, the O/S thinks that you have installed it to a new drive.
I read somewhere that a new drive is worth 10 points toward a time out.
The bigger problem is that you are not allowed to correct for the
condition.

I have posted about this same problem extensively about 3-5 weeks ago
when it first happen to me.

I wish someone from M/S would contact me so that we can work this out. I
see many getting tapped by this update.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Did you do phone activation on these machines or was this internet
activated?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Richard Urban" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista 64 says it's activated, but not genuine
|>Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:56:16 -0400
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>When I updated the SATA driver for my nForce 2 M/B (Silicon Image
chipset)
|>the exact same thing happened. Even though the system was showing as
|>activated it failed WGA repeatedly. I was not given an opportunity to
|>reactivate.
|>
|>I went back to a previous TrueImage system image that I had created the
day
|>prior. Just for the heck of it I tried it again with the same results. I
was
|>not able to repair the damage done.
|>
|>I again went back to the previous image. Then I his the offending driver
so
|>I would not be tempted to install it, yet again.
|>

|>--
|>

|>Regards,
|>
|>Richard Urban
|>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|>(For email, remove the obvious from my address)
|>
|>Quote from George Ankner:
|>If you knew as much as you think you know,
|>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
|>

|>> Yes, I did, but it was the Nforce 4 Sata driver, At which time, it
|>> re-added (found new hardware) the Western Digital Raptor drive, which
is
|>> where XP is intalled (and is the primary boot drive) My Vista installs
are
|>> on a separate maxtor drive but same controller
|>>
|>> I ran that same update on Vista 32 and it also re-added the WD drive.
|>>
|>> You thinking that somehow screwed up the hard drive IDs, making it
appear
|>> that I switch drives or its on a new system ?

Was

Vista

Product

Richard Urban

I did not know how to get to phone activation without the prompt asking me
to activate. As I said, I was not presented with the option to
activate/reactivate. As it was easier for me to just go back to the way the
system was the day before that is the path that I chose to use.

This problem has been stated here about 6-8 times now in the various
newsgroups. The problem, almost invariably, turns out to be a SATA update
for the Silicon Image chipset (on various Nvidia based M/B's).

I would be glad to force it to happen again (I have a system image saved
where it will trigger the error) if you would like to work with me on this.
Then we could post a solution for the other users experiencing the same
condition.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Did you do phone activation on these machines or was this internet
activated?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Richard Urban" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista 64 says it's activated, but not genuine
|>Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:56:16 -0400
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>When I updated the SATA driver for my nForce 2 M/B (Silicon Image
chipset)
|>the exact same thing happened. Even though the system was showing as
|>activated it failed WGA repeatedly. I was not given an opportunity to
|>reactivate.
|>
|>I went back to a previous TrueImage system image that I had created the
day
|>prior. Just for the heck of it I tried it again with the same results. I
was
|>not able to repair the damage done.
|>
|>I again went back to the previous image. Then I his the offending driver
so
|>I would not be tempted to install it, yet again.
|>

|>--
|>

|>Regards,
|>
|>Richard Urban
|>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|>(For email, remove the obvious from my address)
|>
|>Quote from George Ankner:
|>If you knew as much as you think you know,
|>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
|>

|>> Yes, I did, but it was the Nforce 4 Sata driver, At which time, it
|>> re-added (found new hardware) the Western Digital Raptor drive, which
is
|>> where XP is intalled (and is the primary boot drive) My Vista installs
are
|>> on a separate maxtor drive but same controller
|>>
|>> I ran that same update on Vista 32 and it also re-added the WD drive.
|>>
|>> You thinking that somehow screwed up the hard drive IDs, making it
appear
|>> that I switch drives or its on a new system ?

Was

message

Vista

Product
there

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
When that machine was activated, not in this scenario, just when activation
did occur, was phone or Internet Activation used?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Richard Urban" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Vista 64 says it's activated, but not genuine
|>Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:52:17 -0400
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>I did not know how to get to phone activation without the prompt asking
me
|>to activate. As I said, I was not presented with the option to
|>activate/reactivate. As it was easier for me to just go back to the way
the
|>system was the day before that is the path that I chose to use.
|>
|>This problem has been stated here about 6-8 times now in the various
|>newsgroups. The problem, almost invariably, turns out to be a SATA update
|>for the Silicon Image chipset (on various Nvidia based M/B's).
|>
|>I would be glad to force it to happen again (I have a system image saved
|>where it will trigger the error) if you would like to work with me on
this.
|>Then we could post a solution for the other users experiencing the same
|>condition.
|>
|>--
|>

|>Regards,
|>
|>Richard Urban
|>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|>(For email, remove the obvious from my address)
|>
|>Quote from George Ankner:
|>If you knew as much as you think you know,
|>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

|>> Did you do phone activation on these machines or was this internet
|>> activated?
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> chipset)

|>> day
|>> was

|>> so

|>> is
|>> are

|>> appear

message
|>> Was

|>> now
|>> probably

|>> after
|>> |>>>>
|>> message
|>> keys.

|>> now

|>> and
|>> of
|>> web

|>> tech
|>> for

|>> and
|>> week

|>> key)
|>> Vista
|>> fine

|>> Product
|>> there

Dale M. White

In my case it was activated over the internet.

I was able to get the activation option again, by adding a Gig of memory.I
activated it again, but after activation it said it was not Genuine.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

|>where it will trigger the error) if you would like to work with me on
this.
|>Then we could post a solution for the other users experiencing the same
|>condition.
|>
|>--
|>

|>Regards,
|>
|>Richard Urban
|>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|>(For email, remove the obvious from my address)
|>
|>Quote from George Ankner:
|>If you knew as much as you think you know,
|>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

message
|>> Did you do phone activation on these machines or was this internet
|>> activated?
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

Same problem to me but on Vista Ultimate OEM 32bit, yesterday I installed the
new NVidia SATA controller driver and bang, Windows is activated but no more
genuine...

Richard Urban

I used the internet option Darrell.