Virus Alert! Don't open attachments!

Sonia

Don't ever open any attachments in this newsgroup!

The post titled Re: Try on the correction package for MS Internet Explorer
contains a virus infected attachment!

This is a virus that you may also see in your inbox, so beware.

Gus Collot

Well received, Sonia...today I got attacked by a spam of 'bout 80 e-mails,
to the point I had to configure OE to delete from server every mail with
attachment.

The rest of my colleagues please share your experiences with this threat, if
any...

Regards to all,

Gus Collot

Echo S

Gus said:
Well received, Sonia...today I got attacked by a spam of 'bout 80 e-mails,
to the point I had to configure OE to delete from server every mail with
attachment.

The rest of my colleagues please share your experiences with this threat, if
any...

Not much to share here. Just been innundated with the buggers. Have had
about 300 since yesterday afternoon, and I know many who have seen
multiple times that.

I think one guy said he'd gotten 30,000! Yikes!

Sonia

I have only received about a half dozen, but as Echo says, many people are
being flooded. I did read some speculation that people who use their real
email address in usenet and public newsgroups are the most heavily impacted.
I don't know if there is any truth to that, but I will say that I never ever
use my real email address here, so perhaps that's why I've received so few.

Note to other users of Outlook Express: You can protect yourself from
accidentally opening dangerous attachments before you've had that first cup
of coffee and are awake and alert. Go to Tools > Options > Security and
check the box next to "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that
could potentially be a virus." OE thinks almost any attachment can contain
a virus, so you'll have to go back and uncheck that box if someone sends you
something you really want to open and you feel it's safe.

threeofhardts

I've received about 30 of them the last two days. I have
Outlook Express but I use an application called
MailWasher. It lets me see who the messages are from, the
subject line and I can preview the messages before I
process them through to my Inbox. It also allows you
to 'Bounce' 'Delete' and 'Blacklist.' If anyone is
interested, here's the url. It's a free download.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Luc Sanders

Gus,
Can you elaborate on the "I had to configure OE to delete from server every
mail with attachment." How do you do that?
Luc

Sonia

See my reply to Gus. Instructions are included there. It doesn't delete
them from the server. It just does not download them from the server. If
you want to preview messages and delete from the server before the message
physically reaches your system, see the link to MailWasher that
Threeofhardts provided - - http://www.firetrust.com/home/. I use MailWasher
Pro and that's how I deal with spam and viruses that are easily recognized.

Steve Rindsberg, PPTMVP

I have only received about a half dozen, but as Echo says, many people are
being flooded. I did read some speculation that people who use their real
email address in usenet and public newsgroups are the most heavily
impacted.

From my POV, that fits. I got pounded by soBig, but since this last round
of slime started to spray, I've gotten hit in my email box by exactly, and
this is an accurate count as of 11:19 EDT, 0.

I suppose (e-mail address removed) is getting beans pounded out of it, though.
,-)

Steve Rindsberg, PPTMVP

See my reply to Gus. Instructions are included there. It doesn't delete
them from the server. It just does not download them from the server. If
you want to preview messages and delete from the server before the message
physically reaches your system, see the link to MailWasher that
Threeofhardts provided - - http://www.firetrust.com/home/. I use MailWasher
Pro and that's how I deal with spam and viruses that are easily
recognized.

Problem is that if you don't delete them from the server somehow, your
mailbox fills up and your good mail starts bouncing back to the sender.

IIRC, you can look under Message, Rules and set an email message filter that
looks for attachments and deletes them from the server. I don't remember
the exact steps/language, but it'd be different on Luc's system anyhow. ;-)

Once you see the dialog box, it's fairly obvious.

threeofhardts

Sonia,

I see that you use MailWasher Pro. I still have the free
application and for several months I haven't been able to
get it to 'bounce' unwanted emails back to the sender.
Does the Pro version work properly as far as bouncing them
back?

I've thought of upgrading but haven't because of this
issue.

See my reply to Gus. Instructions are included there. It doesn't delete
them from the server. It just does not download them from the server. If
you want to preview messages and delete from the server before the message
physically reaches your system, see the link to MailWasher that
Threeofhardts provided - -
http://www.firetrust.com/home/. I use MailWasher

Michael Koerner

Both versions work exactly the same as far as bouncing goes. it is all in the set up

--
<>Please post all follow-up questions/replies to the newsgroup<>
<><><>Do Provide The Version Of PowerPoint You Are Using<><><>

Sonia,

I see that you use MailWasher Pro. I still have the free
application and for several months I haven't been able to
get it to 'bounce' unwanted emails back to the sender.
Does the Pro version work properly as far as bouncing them
back?

I've thought of upgrading but haven't because of this
issue.

See my reply to Gus. Instructions are included there. It doesn't delete
them from the server. It just does not download them from the server. If
you want to preview messages and delete from the server before the message
physically reaches your system, see the link to MailWasher that
Threeofhardts provided - -
http://www.firetrust.com/home/. I use MailWasher

threeofhardts

Thanks Michael. I haven't changed the settings since I
downloaded the app. a year ago. It used to bounce
messages but not any more. hmmmmmm

I wonder if it's because the sender uses a bogus email
addy? I always add these to the blacklist and almost
never get messages from a particular address twice. The
blacklist just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Using said:
[...]

delete from server
every
spam
of 'bout 80
e-mails, experiences with this
threat,
-
---------------

.

Sonia

Same here. It does no good to bounce them really. Spam is sent by people
who don't care if *you* don't want to hear from them. They're betting on 1%
or 2% of the people opening their junk and then possibly hooking them. They
buy lists from other people. No one every scrubs the lists. The funny
thing is that about 10% of the spam I'm getting these days is from people
selling spam killer software. There's some sort of irony in that. Kinda
like the snake who eats his own tail.

Using said:
[...]

"Gus Collot" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
[...]

I have OE set to just block the attachment from being downloaded to my
system. When I delete the message itself, the server is cleaned of the
message and its attachment. That is if I even download the message. With
MailWasher, I see it while it's still on the server and delete the stuff.
It never gets to my system at all. My filters are all set up in MailWasher
too.

Steve Rindsberg, PPTMVP

Does bouncing make any sense?

It accomplishes two things I can think of:

1 - Assures spammers that they've found a "live" address, or
2 - As Sonia says, just annoys somebody whose address has been spoofed

It seems better just to dump them in the bitbucket.

--

Steve Rindsberg PPT MVP
PPTLive ( http://www.pptlive.com ) Featured Speaker

Sonia

Yes, that's exactly what MailWasher does.

Steve Rindsberg said:
Eudora's got a nice trick; it lets you say "Show me the first XXk of any
message over YYk in size".
You get a look at the header and however many lines you ask for, then can do
what you like with it. Sounds similar to what you're doing, no?

--

Steve Rindsberg PPT MVP
PPTLive ( http://www.pptlive.com ) Featured Speaker
PPTools: http://www.pptools.com
PPT FAQ: http://www.pptfaq.com

Sonia

Well, Mail Washer does a MAILER-DAEMON bounce that looks like it's coming
from the server with a subject line of "Returned mail: User unknown" and it
says:

*****************
<[email protected]>
(expanded from: <[email protected]>)

mail.local: unknown name: sonia
550 <[email protected]>... User unknown

****************
Note: I doctored the above to prevent my real address from showing in this
post and being picked up by the "harvesters". <VBG>

But you're right. It's still irritating to get this type of message when a
worm has used your return address and sent messages to the world. However,
once I actually ended up blocking and bouncing my own address when a virus
infected note arrived and I didn't pay attention to the sender's address.
Arghh! It was my address, but sent from somebody else's system. In that
case it was my own bounce notice that made me realize what I had done.
ROFL!

Steve Rindsberg, PPTMVP

Arghh! It was my address, but sent from somebody else's system. In that
case it was my own bounce notice that made me realize what I had done.
ROFL!

<G>

threeofhardts

"It does no good to bounce them really. Spam is sent by
people who don't care if *you* don't want to hear from
them."

This is true!

I've received another 14 or so of those 'MS Critical
Update' messages again today. I hope it dies down soon.
This is the first time I've been inundated with
'contaminated' messages. Wonder what dumb thing I've done
recently to cause this! :blush:)

Newsgroup said:
[...]

---
-