Virtual?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I see mentions here from some of you about programs that enable you to run different OS's within your existing OS.

I'd like to try that, I want to run Win 98 within Win XP.

So, any reccomendations for freebie software that will let me do this?

Around eight years ago I used a program named VmWare, which worked well, only down side, as I remember, was that it disabled auto CD-Run.

But right now I really don't know what's best so rather than Google thought I'd ask here first :)

With an emphasis on the 'free' aspect ;)

I'm looking to run some old Win 98 games is why I'm asking.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good idea, that should get DKII working :)

Running another OS is a doddle now, and I'd strongly recommend Virtualbox over VMWare (or MS VPC):

http://www.virtualbox.org/

The only problem is that you won't get decent 3D acceleration, so I don't know how the games are going to run - but it's worth a shot!

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
If you're running "M$ over M$" ONLY (no penguin visitors, that is), you can use Virtual PC 2007:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/virtualpc/default.mspx

(You CAN install Linux guest in Virtual PC, but - reliable sources say - they run S-L-O-W-L-Y.)

Next, there is VMware Server:

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

The "catch" - one of them, at least - is the wide availability of "ready made machines":

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/cat/45

And... the one I'm addicted to: VirtualBox:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Be warned, though: things might get bad... I have a 500 GB HD filling up with virtual machines,
laughingsmiley.gif

About Win 98 as guest: no matter which virtualisation software you choose (the above three are all free), you may have to tinker a bit before you get a decent screen resolution etc.

Case VBox:

Windows 98 guests

• High CPU load while running Windows 98 Windows 98 does not execute the 'hlt' instruction, which temporarily turns off the CPU, when it has no work to do. Download and install rain20 from here.
  • Poor graphical output in Windows 98 Unlike more modern systems, Windows 98 does not come with a driver which will work with the VirtualBox graphics card, so it falls back to using it as a 16 color VGA card. While Sun does not provide Guest Additions for Windows 98, the Display Doctor 7 Beta suite by the company SciTech does contain a driver which will allow you to use higher color and resolution graphics modes. Please note that neither Sun nor SciTech support nor accept liability for the use of this program.
Display Doctor 7 Beta requires activation codes to work. We understand that the free activation code for Display Doctor 6 also applies to version 7 Beta: http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/sdd/regcodes.txt.

You might also want to look at the following site pointed out by users of VirtualBox, which also provides VESA drivers for Windows 98: http://www.bearwindows.boot-land.net/vbe9x.htm. Please be aware that Sun provides this link in good faith, but cannot take responsibility for the site or the software which it refers to.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Server wise we have 2 Racks of VMWare ESX Server, whilst client wise I use MS Virtual PC within my Vista build.
And yeah.... 1.something TB of Virtual systems.... still growing... might need another SAN.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
The only problem is that you won't get decent 3D acceleration...
Patience, Ian, it's coming. Currently a "beta feature" - a bit rough around the edges - but it sure is coming:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Urmas said:
Patience, Ian, it's coming. Currently a "beta feature" - a bit rough around the edges - but it sure is coming:

Thanks for the heads up :) It looks like it's coming pretty quick if they are at that stage already :D

I think VirtualBox should be able to run DKII fine for you Flops :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've installed Virtual Box now :thumb:

Thanks all, for the info above :)

I've managed to sort out smooth running wiith DK2, I searched around and found that if I changed the DVD drive the DK2 disc is in to PIO mode (as against DMA mode) it runs ok. So far, so good, played about twenty minutes from my last save point with no problems.

I recently disbanded the old machine I ran Win 98 on but sometimes I get a hankering to play: Shadow Man; Nocturne; Quake 1; Quake 2; Giants; American McGhee's Alice; Sin; Star Wars Racer; Carmageddon 2; Lego Racers; Daikatana; Hydro Thunder and others.

All fine games and some of which have excellent graphics. Which is why I thought of a Virtual Machine.

For Linux I use swappable HDD caddies.

I'll let you know how I get on with the graphics but I can be patient to wait for a fix, no biggie :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice wallpaper Urmas :D

Erm, not quite my usual taste in grafix... ;)

I now have Win 98 installed within Virtual Box. The installation was not without problems, I have to say and it took a good two hours to install.

So right now it's sitting there, no sound, poor graphics and no third party drivers or software installed.

I shall return :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Found this bit of wisdom for audio:

For audio, download and extract (install WinRAR or WinZIP) the Realtek AC97 codec driver for Windows 95 (the VXD version). Setup.exe won't run, so you need to get it extracted and point Device Manager to it (Right Click Multimedia PCI Audio Controller and change driver, have disk, point it to the extracted driver). Reboot and you have pretty good audio.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Urmas, I'll come back to that.

The system has a Creative Audigy 2 soundcard in it, I was just going to d/l the Win98 drivers from Creative's site and use those, assuming Creative have Win 98 drivers for that card (and they probably have).

Which option do you think is best?

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Aah... you see, the ACTUAL sound card doesn't matter. It's VBox's virtual sound card (see Details -> Audio -> Audio Controller) that your guest (Win98 here) needs to "see". You can choose between IHC AC997 and SoundBlaster 16. Also: What have you chosen under Host Audio Driver? "Null" is a bad choice... means no sound.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas said:
Aah... you see, the ACTUAL sound card doesn't matter. It's VBox's virtual sound card (see Details -> Audio -> Audio Controller) that your guest (Win98 here) needs to "see". You can choose between IHC AC997 and SoundBlaster 16. Also: What have you chosen under Host Audio Driver? "Null" is a bad choice... means no sound.

Aha, I understand.... I think.

I haven't done anything with it yet, the sound may even work if a driver is chosen by default, I wasn't aware of that.

I assumed as I hadn't loaded sound drivers I would have no sound.

I doubt if I'll be messin' with it today, but I'll update this thread periodically.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Aha, I understand.... I think.

I assumed as I hadn't loaded sound drivers I would have no sound.
Your Win98 needs to have the drivers for either AC97 or SB 16 installed. Otherwise no sound.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I recognise Urmas and Nivrip but who is the funny guy with the horns. :D

Well, I thought that it was you AB. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
You must have had too many Stellas Nivrip , the horny one has no hair so it can't be me. :D

Strewth! :eek: He's nekkid apart from a pair of baseball boots :eek:

I'll have you know this is a family site Mr Urmas... ;)

Ask a Question