DJ Software

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Anbody here know of any FREE DJ software?

All I'm after is a basic mixer with the ability to record a mix to a folder.

bpm matching, effects etc not needed but a bonus.

I'm asking here before I search in the off chance somebody here may be using something they can recommend.

Last time I used a DJ mixer on a computer I think I was using Win 3.1, it worked well, as I remember.

Any would-be spammers posting links here for their second rate overpriced 'software' will be the recipients of a 20 million volt bolt of static coming at them through the stratosphere reducing their abode to a pile of smouldering rubble thus forcing them to walk in the street in their pyjamas where people will point at them and mock them.

PS: If no Vista/Win 7 compatible applications out there, I'd be willing to try and load an open source app within Linux, I currently have Mint loaded on one disk but I haven't fired it up for a coupla months now.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://linux-sound.org/ddj.html

http://www.bristolwireless.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxDJ

An even a live cd

http://www.dynebolic.org/

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thank you Sah :thumb:

I figured it may be open source as I can't find a Windows-based freebie. Ten years ago there were loads of freebie DJ mixers but not any more it seems.

But of course with Linux comes the anxiety of installation ;)

There was one free one but it installed dozens of Cookies and a registry entry that identified you to all their different sales web sites. If you searched hard there were instructions on how to remove the registry entry and of course Cookies are easily deleted but I'm wary of any app that does that, so no thanks.

All the others ranged from $20 to$300, the most expensive did look a fabulous piece of kit but really intended for professionals, not a little home mixing.

One other way round it of course is to do a hardware mix. I recently cobbled together a mixer and twin CD player I had hanging around into a box with inputs for two turntables via phono sockets as well. Less than two feet (60cm) wide it's ideal for house parties. But I can also plug it into my Aux in sound card socket and record with Audacity or dbPowerAmp.

Thanks again for the links Abarb :)

Reaction score
You could give this a pike. I'm not sure about windows 7 though but its a fairly decent company and its a freebie so ya can just dump it if it doesn't suit.
http://www.nch.com.au/dj/index.html

Edit : Forgot to say there's nothing like mixing tunes yourself, except you have to practice a bit first.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did say i wasn't sure about windows 7 and the actual DJ part very good. As for the other stuff that comes with it....you don't have to install it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Um, all I get is a 266kb .exe file which is probably an auto download/setup.

I'm wary of things like that so I think I'll pass, but thank you.

I think I still have a trial copy of Win 7 on a disk, I may try it on that.

I was hoping to install this on my media machine btww, which is running Vista.

atm I have my CD player/mixer plugged in Line In, just need to d/l Audacity and I should be in business.

Had to make up a couple of inline phono socket to jack plug converter leads first, but nae bother :)

Reaction score
Flopp's McGiver.
I actually downloaded zulu today just to make sure the link was okay for ya.I've had it for ages and when i had issues with software their support team was better than most i have come across. After all the duds i've posted i check before i post now. Also the "crap" MadX talked about was other smaller app's for sound manipulation and conversion. Only for someone/ DJ's who have a serious interest in sound engineering, really. You may actually like some of it if ya give it half a chance.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Flopp's McGiver.
I actually downloaded zulu today just to make sure the link was okay for ya.I've had it for ages and when i had issues with software their support team was better than most i have come across. After all the duds i've posted i check before i post now. Also the "crap" MadX talked about was other smaller app's for sound manipulation and conversion. Only for someone/ DJ's who have a serious interest in sound engineering, really. You may actually like some of it if ya give it half a chance.

Ok, ok, I'll trust ya :D

But with what's gone down ya cannae blame me for being just a teensy weensy bit wary ;)

Actually just going to start a mix the hardware way, haven't got enough choices to fill a CD yet but I want to see what my selected trax sound like strung together.

Working title: Space Mix :)

Ask a Question