Virtual Reality test

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Steam have supplied a test to see if your computer will run a VR headset, it's in Software/Utilities within Steam.

So I ran it and my graphics card let me down (see pic below).

However, right now a VR headset costs £700 inc postage from OCUK and to get just medium quality for one you'll have to have at least an Nvidia GTX 980 which cost on average about £430. So that's £1130 to experience Virtual reality.

And atm there's precious little to take advantage of the new technology, the best thing on offer seems to be the Space Game Elite Dangerous which, good as it may be, doesn't seen to justify an outlay of £1K13.

So for now I think I'll pass. But I do reckon in around 18-24 months time this medium may become more affordable and games on offer to suit the headsets will increase in number. I hope so, cos it really does look like it could be lots of fun.

VR Test.JPG

Reaction score
You're right. Far too expensive. Going to be at least 3 years before it all becomes affordable

(remember SSD's?)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
VRtest1.PNG

hmmm, not bad, but I'll stick with Track iR ... :)

you really need at least a 4GB graphic card, mine was averaging 107 FPS

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Fail! Not that I expected to pass or anything, but I enjoyed watching the animation :lol:

SteamVR.jpg

It's fine for what I use it for, and like you say it'll be a while before VR is worth spending money on (and by then it will be cheaper too). I'm sure when Ian upgrades his PC I'll get his cast offs :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not looking likely here either - although I don't think I'd get one for many years anyway:

VR.png

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I knew I wouldn't pass. But hey my PC is good enough for my needs.

neyznq.png

Reaction score
I was hoping to get this result, still don't know if I'll get VR headset on release.

VRtest.png

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Got a friend who has ordered the HTC Vive and it looks like he'll be getting it soon. Can't wait to have a go! :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
My only experience of VR is using the Samsung Gear VR with my S7, which is surprisingly good. I think the thing that makes it feel so immersive is the responsiveness to movement, but the screen isn't fantastic. Don't get me wrong - it's excellent considering it's just using a phone - but I imagine that dedicated VR headsets would be exceptional by comparison.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think Mucks is pretty spot on here tbh. :)

Its a nice idea, and can imagine it would be much fun but its too darn expensive at the moment. The Vive seems like the best option, I wouldn't touch the Rift thanks to Farcebook. But the Vive is like £690! :eek:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
If @V_R gets VR... then would he become VR^2?! :fool:

I'd be interested to see what the second generation of HTC Vive is like. The current version has a number of issues, so it's a lot to pay for something that feels a bit beta.

Ask a Question