    emails in html in OE6.

    Is that true? Many newslists now seem to have gone to html digests.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Oct 14, 2006

  2. Jeff

    Galen Guest

    In news:%,
    Jeff had this to say:

    > I use Outlook Express (because I like it and Mailwasher Pro to screen
    > my emails) in XP and have always had OE set so that I both view and
    > write my emails in plain text. I recently heard that it is no longer
    > unsafe to view emails in html in OE6.
    >
    > Is that true? Many newslists now seem to have gone to html digests.
    >
    > Jeff

    Reading email in HTML format isn't ever advised and hasn't been for a long
    time. If you trust the source and have been dealing with them for a long
    time then you can simply click View > Message in HTML when there is
    something you'd like to read in HTML format. Reading in plain text allows
    you to see the real URL for sites that you'd be taken to, prevents any
    scripts from loading (which should have happened anyway if you have good
    settings for your zones,) etc...

    --
    Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
    http://dts-l.org/

    "At present I am, as you know, fairly busy, but I propose to devote my
    declining years to the composition of a textbook which shall focus the
    whole art of detection into one volume." - Sherlock Holmes

    Galen, Oct 14, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Galen wrote:
    > In news:%,
    > Jeff had this to say:

    >> I use Outlook Express (because I like it and Mailwasher Pro to screen
    >> my emails) in XP and have always had OE set so that I both view and
    >> write my emails in plain text. I recently heard that it is no longer
    >> unsafe to view emails in html in OE6.
    >>
    >> Is that true? Many newslists now seem to have gone to html digests.
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > Reading email in HTML format isn't ever advised and hasn't been for a
    > long time. If you trust the source and have been dealing with them
    > for a long time then you can simply click View > Message in HTML when
    > there is something you'd like to read in HTML format. Reading in
    > plain text allows you to see the real URL for sites that you'd be
    > taken to, prevents any scripts from loading (which should have
    > happened anyway if you have good settings for your zones,) etc...

    Thank you. That is precisely what I do, but recently read in a Microsoft
    newslist that html was now safe which is why I asked. Thanks for the
    clarifiction.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Oct 14, 2006
  4. There have been security updates which have reduced the risk, but caution is
    still advised as new threats appear out of the blue..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User, Oct 14, 2006