    Also, tried to use CyberLink Power DVD to view the DVD, same thing. After a
    brief viewing, the screen goes blank, but the audio continues.

    Quicktime video files work fine, FLV files work fine.

    sheppardwk, Jun 8, 2009

  2. sheppardwk

    John Inzer Guest

    sheppardwk wrote:
    > Windows XP SP 2 using WMP 11 to watch a DVD, or a video clip the
    > movie will play for 30 seconds or so and then the screen goes blank.
    > The audio continues, but I'm staring at a slightly grey screen. No
    > other way to stop it other than to turn the computer off. Any
    > thoughts or suggestions?
    >
    > Also, tried to use CyberLink Power DVD to view the DVD, same thing.
    > After a brief viewing, the screen goes blank, but the audio continues.
    >
    > Quicktime video files work fine, FLV files work fine.

    ============================
    Maybe the free VLC Media player would work for you.

    VLC Media Player
    http://www.videolan.org/

    And...it's possible that you need to update your video driver.

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 8, 2009

  3. sheppardwk

    Panzy Guest

    "sheppardwk" <> wrote in message
    > Windows XP SP 2 using WMP 11 to watch a DVD, or a video clip the movie
    > will
    > play for 30 seconds or so and then the screen goes blank. The audio
    > continues, but I'm staring at a slightly grey screen. No other way to
    > stop
    > it other than to turn the computer off. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    >
    > Also, tried to use CyberLink Power DVD to view the DVD, same thing. After
    > brief viewing, the screen goes blank, but the audio continues.
    >
    > Quicktime video files work fine, FLV files work fine.

    #

    Not enuff info.
    Why haven't you updated to SP3 - You should.
    Implied it is any DVD, that are proven to play in a standalone player or
    another PC? And what type of video clip - mpeg? WMV? ???
    In what media player do .flv files play fine? Is it VLC, then try the DVD(s)
    in VLC, if they play OK, then it's not the DVD at fault. But as it happens
    in PowerDVD as well, it could be a decoder issue, or registry corruption?
    So when WMP or PowerDVD goes blank when playing a DVD, the actual
    media player freezes the PC?
    Any error messages?
    Try disabling anti-virus + firewall software then attempt playback (make
    sure you are disconnected from the evil of the internet before you disable
    such software). If it plays OK with AV+FW disabled, I'd suspect a rootkit,
    but you would have had plenty of previous warnings?
    In the MS knowledge database the only listed and unhelpful solution is
    this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928898
    But though that is specific to Vista, it is WMP11 and a known issue.
    What spec is your XP computer, has it ever been able to play DVD's?

    Panzy, Jun 8, 2009
  4. sheppardwk

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Panzy" <> wrote in message

    > "sheppardwk" <> wrote in message
    >> Windows XP SP 2 using WMP 11 to watch a DVD, or a video clip the movie
    >> will
    >> play for 30 seconds or so and then the screen goes blank. The audio
    >> continues, but I'm staring at a slightly grey screen. No other way to
    >> stop
    >> it other than to turn the computer off. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    >>
    >> Also, tried to use CyberLink Power DVD to view the DVD, same thing.
    >> After a
    >> brief viewing, the screen goes blank, but the audio continues.
    >>
    >> Quicktime video files work fine, FLV files work fine.
    >>

    > #
    >
    > Not enuff info.
    > Why haven't you updated to SP3 - You should.

    Why? Updating to SP3 caused unwanted issues on all 3 PCs that I updated.
    Fortunately, I can state that the one thing about SP3 that does work well -
    is its own uninstall routine. While SP3 works for some people, there are a
    significant number for whom it causes problems.

    M.I.5¾, Jun 9, 2009
  5. sheppardwk

    sheppardwk Guest

    I was mistaken, I have updated to SP3. I'm using the NVIDIA Quadro FX
    3450/4000 SDI and the driver is up-to-date.
    Yes, the DVD's work in a standalone player and on other computers.
    Mpeg, avi, and wmv files exhibit the same results on this computer.
    FLV files play on an FLV player. I just downloaded the VLC player and will
    try it.
    When the DVD starts in either WMP or PowerDVD, it will play for about 30
    seconds and then the screen goes balnk. The audio continues. However, I
    have not been able to find a work-around to either stop the player or have
    the monitor resume from the blank screen.
    No error messages.
    I will try and disable the Anti virus and will also stop the screen saver.

    sheppardwk, Jun 9, 2009
  6. sheppardwk

    sheppardwk Guest

    I just downloaded and installed the VLC player.
    Started the avi file and it played for approximately 2 minutes. The screen
    resolution then changed - it appeared to elongate vertically. About 2
    minutes later, the screen went to a white background with vertical, jagged
    blue lines. The audio continued as described in earlier posts. I could not
    find a work-around so I had to turn off the computer.

    sheppardwk, Jun 9, 2009
  7. sheppardwk

    John Inzer Guest

    sheppardwk wrote:
    > I just downloaded and installed the VLC player.
    > Started the avi file and it played for approximately 2 minutes. The
    > screen resolution then changed - it appeared to elongate vertically.
    > About 2 minutes later, the screen went to a white background with
    > vertical, jagged blue lines. The audio continued as described in
    > earlier posts. I could not find a work-around so I had to turn off
    > the computer.

    =====================================
    VLC normally plays anything you load into it.

    Sounds serious...have you encountered any other
    issues of this type? I don't know what the problem
    is but I wonder if you might have a hardware issue
    with your Video Card.

    You said your video driver was up to date...did you
    download it from the Nvidia site? They show version
    182.65 released on May 4, 2009.

    --

    J. Inzer MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Jun 9, 2009
  8. sheppardwk

    >I just downloaded and installed the VLC player.
    > Started the avi file and it played for approximately 2 minutes. The
    > screen
    > resolution then changed - it appeared to elongate vertically. About 2
    > minutes later, the screen went to a white background with vertical, jagged
    > blue lines. The audio continued as described in earlier posts. I could
    > not
    > find a work-around so I had to turn off the computer.

    Please clarify, have any of these problematic video files + DVD's
    previously played OK in both WMP and PowerDVD on that PC?
    Or have the same video footage of whatever format, always been
    problematic?

    Are they specific codec orientated files, such DivX or XviD?

    We need to eliminate your graphics card, do DVD's now play OK
    when using VLC?

    Are there any other problems with that PC that you may have thought
    unconnected with the video/wmp issues?

    Have you made any changes, such as virtual memory settings?

    In Device Manager is anything flagged with an exclaimation or
    questionmark?

    Panzy, Jun 9, 2009
  9. sheppardwk

    sheppardwk Guest

    DVD's used to work on the PC.

    I tried to play a DVD using the VLC player, but after 4 minutes the screen
    elongated. About a minute later, 1/4 of the desktop was a blue screen with
    the player occupying the remaining 3/4 of the desktop. However, the bottom
    of the desktop was not visible - could not see the taskbar, Start button,
    quick launch, etc. The screen then went blank a few minutes later, but the
    audio continued. I rebooted, turned off the screen saver and unplugged the
    internet connection and tried it again. One minute later, the screen went
    blank.

    I tried a DvDrip-aXXo (avi) file in my DivX Player - it worked perfectly.
    This file caused the screen to go blank in both WMP and PowerDVD.

    No other problems with the computer, no changes to virtual memory and no
    indications in Device Manager.

    sheppardwk, Jun 10, 2009
  10. sheppardwk

    > DVD's used to work on the PC.
    >
    > I tried to play a DVD using the VLC player, but after 4 minutes the screen
    > elongated. About a minute later, 1/4 of the desktop was a blue screen
    > with
    > the player occupying the remaining 3/4 of the desktop. However, the
    > bottom
    > of the desktop was not visible - could not see the taskbar, Start button,
    > quick launch, etc. The screen then went blank a few minutes later, but
    > the
    > audio continued. I rebooted, turned off the screen saver and unplugged
    > the
    > internet connection and tried it again. One minute later, the screen went
    > blank.
    >
    > I tried a DvDrip-aXXo (avi) file in my DivX Player - it worked perfectly.
    > This file caused the screen to go blank in both WMP and PowerDVD.
    >
    > No other problems with the computer, no changes to virtual memory and no
    > indications in Device Manager.

    OK, so the DVD's are probably not the standard mpeg2/VOB format,
    but using the DivX compression technique, no doubt one of the issues
    are lack of codecs, but you should get an error message to effect that
    WMP/PowerDVD cannot play such file types etc or similar?
    Start here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/codec.mspx

    This is the most uptodate DivX codec pack (at top of page)
    It claims compatibility with all media players. Including WMP 6 and above.
    http://www.divxmovies.com/software/
    Download and install it.

    This is the DivX FAQ.
    Section 4.2 details a link to a program: DivFix
    I've no idea if file corruption maybe the cause of the frozen PC etc.
    But you may like to try it to fix any possible corruption.
    http://www.divxmovies.com/faq/#4.2

    Panzy, Jun 10, 2009
  11. sheppardwk

    sheppardwk Guest

    I used a store bought DVD, and tried to play it in the VLC Player. The DVD
    started fine and played perfectly until about 4:10. At that time, the screen
    elongated again changing the aspect. About 90 seconds later, the screen
    pixelated into blue, white and green kaleidescope, but the audio continued.

    This time instead of rebooting, I removed the digital video source from the
    monitor - waited about 30 seconds - and then reattached it to the monitor.
    The screen was back and the FLC Player was reduced in size. My other open
    windows (Outlook email and windows explorer) were reduced as well. Other
    than that, the desktop was perfect.

    I went to the links that you provided and read the WMP frequently asked
    questions. The codecs are for WMP 7 and greater. I'm currently using
    11.0.5721.5230, so I did not download it. The others appear to be for the
    DivX player - it's the only one that works.

    The issue is not a frozen PC, rather it is a video problem because the audio
    continues to work, and I just determined that the screen resumes if you
    disconnect and reconnect the video cable.

    I'm still willing to try anything to resolve this problem so please continue
    making recommendations/suggestions.

    sheppardwk, Jun 11, 2009
  12. sheppardwk

    >I used a store bought DVD, and tried to play it in the VLC Player. The DVD
    > started fine and played perfectly until about 4:10. At that time, the
    > screen
    > elongated again changing the aspect. About 90 seconds later, the screen
    > pixelated into blue, white and green kaleidescope, but the audio
    > continued.
    >
    > This time instead of rebooting, I removed the digital video source from
    > the
    > monitor - waited about 30 seconds - and then reattached it to the monitor.

    What? Do you mean it is a DVD drive mounted in your monitor?
    Try and clarify.
    When you say you removed "digital video source from the monitor"
    Explain what that means.

    > The screen was back and the FLC Player was reduced in size. My other open
    > windows (Outlook email and windows explorer) were reduced as well. Other
    > than that, the desktop was perfect.

    Do you have an XP disk or was XP preinstalled?
    (This question is to determine if we can perform a repair install).

    > I went to the links that you provided and read the WMP frequently asked
    > questions. The codecs are for WMP 7 and greater. I'm currently using
    > 11.0.5721.5230, so I did not download it.

    This is obviously too complicated for you when it really is very simple!
    "WMP7 and greater" means your WMP11, you should have downloaded
    and installed, sigh....

    > The others appear to be for the
    > DivX player - it's the only one that works.
    >
    > The issue is not a frozen PC, rather it is a video problem because the
    > audio
    > continues to work, and I just determined that the screen resumes if you
    > disconnect and reconnect the video cable.

    You are going to download and install this program
    Follow the instructions, it will perform an audit of your PC.
    We will then try and determine if it is a graphics driver issue.
    And if any hotfixes are missing.
    (You have SP3, a fool posted to thread about it, ignore him -
    SP3 is an all important update)

    > I'm still willing to try anything to resolve this problem so please
    > continue
    > making recommendations/suggestions.

    Rather than perform a cold shutdown, have you tried Task Manager
    to end task?
    You call up Task Manager in XP by holding down keys: Ctrl+Alt+Del
    Read about here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323527
    A guide
    http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/windows-task-manager-performance-explained

    Play a problematic DVD or video clip, when it gives you grief with
    screen blanking but audio continuing, call up Task Manager
    Click the Applications tab
    End task on WMP.
    report back
    The next step is a process of elimination to try and discern if ending task
    on other applications or processes solves the problem, if so, then
    there is a conflict.

    These may seem strange questions but are pertinant:
    Is your keyboard fully functional and all keys function with none
    stuck down?
    Nothing is resting on the keyboard, such as a mouse?

    Disconnecting "video cable", so it is a PC with an attached monitor,
    and what type of cable - DVI or VGA?

    Panzy, Jun 11, 2009
  13. sheppardwk

    sheppardwk Guest

    I meant the DVI cable that plugs into the monitor - the video cable.
    The DVD drive is located in the computer.

    I tried to watch a streaming press conference the other day. The video
    played for about 3 minutes and then the monitor did the same thing. When I
    unplugged the DVI cable from the monitor, the computer played a chime
    indicating that it had been unplugged, and when I plugged it back into the
    monitor the video continued playing.

    I then borrowed another monitor - the same model - and tried it. After a
    few minutes, it too went to a grey screen. Therefore, I can only assume
    either the specific model monitor is not compatible with the computer for
    playing videos or the video card may be causing problems.

    XP came preinstalled.

    Task Manager does not work.

    No keys are stuck.

    I understand WMP7 and greater. Due to the fact that I'm using WMP
    11.0.5721.5230, I already have the most up-to-date codecs.

    Downloading Belarc.

    sheppardwk, Jun 25, 2009