Video Capture-Record Audio Volume Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Rogers@wildwest.org, Jan 26, 2012.

  1. Guest

    I a using XP SP3, and I want to record and capture a few web tutorial
    video clips. A few clips are youtube, and a few are not. But that
    shouldn't matter, I think and hope.

    Anyway, I am using Debut Video Capture Software V1.49. My first
    experience was that the video was captured and was re-playable fine by
    Media Player. However there was no audio whatsoever.

    To try to get audio, I put a audio Y splitter on the mobo speaker out,
    and then connected that to both my earphones and mobo microphone in.
    Now I do get audio in the video clips that I record.

    My problem is that the recorded audio has lost much of its volume and
    is too low. I can't turn up the volume because the earphones have no
    adjustment for that like speakers do.

    Can anyone suggest some XP setting(s) to improve this? I have
    experimented with same, but have not been able to find anything.

    Thanks

    Roy

    , Jan 26, 2012

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I a using XP SP3, and I want to record and capture a few web tutorial
    > video clips. A few clips are youtube, and a few are not. But that
    > shouldn't matter, I think and hope.
    >
    > Anyway, I am using Debut Video Capture Software V1.49. My first
    > experience was that the video was captured and was re-playable fine by
    > Media Player. However there was no audio whatsoever.
    >
    > To try to get audio, I put a audio Y splitter on the mobo speaker out,
    > and then connected that to both my earphones and mobo microphone in.
    > Now I do get audio in the video clips that I record.
    >
    > My problem is that the recorded audio has lost much of its volume and
    > is too low. I can't turn up the volume because the earphones have no
    > adjustment for that like speakers do.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest some XP setting(s) to improve this? I have
    > experimented with same, but have not been able to find anything.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Roy

    On WinXP, you can try the "what you hear" option,
    which loops sound around from the output, back to the input
    mixer. No cable needed.

    On my Soundmax motherboard audio, that option is called Stereo Mix.
    It's in the record section. In this picture I found, the current
    selection is "Microphone", and by clicking the red button
    underneath "Stereo Mix", you can unmute the Stereo Mix and
    then the recording may get audio.

    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4818/untitledsy0.jpg

    I can't promise what kind of audio level you'll get. In that
    picture, the slider is way down on the Stereo Mix, and it can
    be advanced upwards to bump up the recording volume.

    If that kind of custom panel isn't visible on your computer,
    you may have to look around for it. For example, I have a
    smax4.exe and a smax4.cpl (control panel) file in this folder.
    Your sound might be a different brand, and you'd look
    in the appropriate folder for it. It's possible mine also uses
    a Startup item to ensure it's launched at boot.

    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX

    It's my understanding, that the "what you hear" option
    is removed from later OSes. In which case, a person
    doing what you're attempting to do, would end up
    using the cabling trick instead. The thing would never
    have made "bit perfect" copies in the first place (due
    to the noise floor), so I don't understand the need to
    remove this feature. But in WinXP, as far as I know,
    it should work.

    The Microphone usually has a "boost" feature. Again, referring
    to that picture above, the Microphone has the green button at
    the bottom showing it is unmuted. But to the right of the green
    button, is a beveled square button which hides the "boost" function.
    Clicking that brings up a dialog to enable "boost". But with your
    current setup, I'd start by checking the sliders. You really
    shouldn't need to enable boost, with what you're doing. There
    should be enough gain already.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 26, 2012

  3. Char Jackson Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 05:36:56 -0500, wrote:

    >I a using XP SP3, and I want to record and capture a few web tutorial
    >video clips. A few clips are youtube, and a few are not. But that
    >shouldn't matter, I think and hope.
    >
    >Anyway, I am using Debut Video Capture Software V1.49. My first
    >experience was that the video was captured and was re-playable fine by
    >Media Player. However there was no audio whatsoever.
    >
    >To try to get audio, I put a audio Y splitter on the mobo speaker out,
    >and then connected that to both my earphones and mobo microphone in.
    >Now I do get audio in the video clips that I record.
    >
    >My problem is that the recorded audio has lost much of its volume and
    >is too low. I can't turn up the volume because the earphones have no
    >adjustment for that like speakers do.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest some XP setting(s) to improve this? I have
    >experimented with same, but have not been able to find anything.

    Seems like the hard way (more steps, more apps, more time) would be to
    demux the files to separate the audio from the video, increase the
    gain of the audio portion, then remux the audio and video.

    It might be easier to use a different process to download the video
    clips. If you're using Firefox, there are numerous add-ons that help
    you do that.

    Char Jackson, Jan 26, 2012

    Re: Re: Video Capture-Record Audio Volume Problem

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:06:34 -0600, Char Jackson <>
    wrote:

    >Seems like the hard way (more steps, more apps, more time) would be to
    >demux the files to separate the audio from the video, increase the
    >gain of the audio portion, then remux the audio and video.
    >
    >It might be easier to use a different process to download the video
    >clips. If you're using Firefox, there are numerous add-ons that help
    >you do that.

    Firefox?
    I want to capture the clip that plays on my screen, not download it.
    In fact, the clips I have in mind are not downloadable.

    Thanks

    Roy

    , Jan 26, 2012
  5. Char Jackson Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:49:33 -0500, wrote:

    >On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:06:34 -0600, Char Jackson <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Seems like the hard way (more steps, more apps, more time) would be to
    >>demux the files to separate the audio from the video, increase the
    >>gain of the audio portion, then remux the audio and video.
    >>
    >>It might be easier to use a different process to download the video
    >>clips. If you're using Firefox, there are numerous add-ons that help
    >>you do that.

    >Firefox?
    >I want to capture the clip that plays on my screen, not download it.
    >In fact, the clips I have in mind are not downloadable.

    Looks like Paul has a good plan for you, but I'd point out that
    there's very little difference between playing an Internet video and
    downloading it.

    Char Jackson, Jan 26, 2012